S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

People use the highest order of thought when speaking of their intentions.

So guys out for a night on the town would say "Let's go observe some exotic dancers," ?

I don't think so.

No man said "harvest" when I was a kid. It's a word we started using to try and placate the real snowflakes of this world.

If you brought home a dancer would that constitute a harvest? Or would it be nullified because it wasn’t a free range environment?

It would be nullified if you used Cocaine to intice and harvest said dancer. Baiting of this kind is illegal in Texas.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: maximus_flavius] #7689847 12/16/19 12:01 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
I remember hearing old men say that hunting with a scope “wasn’t real hunting”.

Before that, it was probably smokeless powder that “wasn’t real hunting”.

I guess there’s been self important know-it-alls since the cave man days.

We've already seen the TPWD forced to take action to head off the efforts of those who wish to make remote hunting a reality. With the technology that exists today, it's quite easy to offer a service where someone can watch a feeder from the comfort of their couch and take a shot using nothing more than their smartphone. Then just have the antlers delivered to your doorstep as you might your dinner or groceries.

Maybe that too will one day be considered "hunting".

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/16/19 12:23 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7689860 12/16/19 12:11 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So who, pray tell, should we allow to determine what "hunting" really is? Only those faux-cerebral types that are constantly trying to "elevate" us and show us how enlightened and "evolved" they are? Or perhaps simply those that know how to cut and paste from several on-line dictionaries?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7690048 12/16/19 03:55 AM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

You really do have diarrhea of the mouth....I will call my hunting such regardless of your definition....pay attention this is the important part......nobody on this forum gives a sh!t about your definition of hunting...... nidea

Said the pot to the kettle. You can call it whatever you like, just realize that doing so is a display of ignorance.... no different than men calling themselves women .... calling a rock water .... calling a car a pickup truck.... saying it doesn't make it true.

And it's not "my" definition ...I quite clearly identified where the definitions came from - three of the major dictionaries. Words have meaning and dictionaries tell us what those meanings are....you should probably buy one and open it up sometime. I know that might be difficult ...I can send you a picture of what one looks like if that helps.

So funny watching all you guys who can't grasp the meaning of a word get all bent out of shape arguing that it means something else LOL. Seriously, I feel like you guys should have a role in the next remake of Deliverance....LOL

It's hard for me to even understand why this is a debate....words have actual defined meanings, they don't just mean what we want them to. Seems obvious to me that some of you guys believe in your own minds that "hunting" animals is superior in some way, or more manly, than harvesting them - and thus want your actions to fall within the meaning of that word (regardless whether it does or not). Personally, I would say harvesting animals is far superior than hunting them - it's more efficient and has a higher rate of success. Hunting on the other hand is old-school .... it's a completely outdated and inefficient method of getting food, that hardly anyone partakes in anymore, and is far more challenging - I prefer it because of the challenge but it is definitely not a "superior" method of putting food on the table. In many ways, people like myself who still hunt are kind of idiots - doing a bunch of extra and unnecessary work to achieve the same outcome as harvesting.

Tomorrow, I think I'll start calling the sky red and the ocean pink ... since the meaning of words doesn't really matter.

Just another example of how public education has failed the population .... "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means" - Inigo Montoya

Now get back to harvesting whatever is at your feeders (LOL - I can't help myself)

Last edited by Binary; 12/16/19 04:42 AM.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7690067 12/16/19 04:43 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Binary

You really do have diarrhea of the mouth....I will call my hunting such regardless of your definition....pay attention this is the important part......nobody on this forum gives a sh!t about your definition of hunting...... nidea

Said the pot to the kettle. You can call it whatever you like, just realize that doing so is a display of ignorance.... no different than men calling themselves women .... calling a rock water .... calling a car a pickup truck.... saying it doesn't make it true.

And it's not "my" definition ...I quite clearly identified where the definitions came from - three of the major dictionaries. Words have meaning and dictionaries tell us what those meanings are....you should probably buy one and open it up sometime. I know that might be difficult ...I can send you a picture of what one looks like if that helps.

So funny watching all you guys who can't grasp the meaning of a word get all bent out of shape arguing that it means something else LOL. Seriously, I feel like you guys should have a role in the next remake of Deliverance....LOL

It's hard for me to even understand why this is a debate....words have actual defined meanings, they don't just mean what we want them to. Seems obvious to me that some of you guys believe in your own minds that "hunting" animals is superior in some way, or more manly, than harvesting them - and thus want your actions to fall within the meaning of that word (regardless whether it does or not). Personally, I would say harvesting animals is far superior than hunting them - it's more efficient and has a higher rate of success. Hunting on the other hand is old-school, it's a completely outdated and inefficient method of getting food, that hardly anyone partakes in anymore, and is far more challenging - I prefer it because of the challenge but it is definitely not a "superior" method of putting food on the table.

Tomorrow, I think I'll start calling the sky red and the ocean pink ... since the meaning of words doesn't really matter.

Just another example of how public education has failed the population .... "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means" - Inigo Montoya

Now get back to harvesting whatever is at your feeders (LOL - I can't help myself)

So sitting in a blind at a feeder is harvesting. Is riding around shooting them from a truck hunting?

Last edited by bphillips; 12/16/19 04:43 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: bphillips] #7690074 12/16/19 04:57 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by bphillips

So sitting in a blind at a feeder is harvesting. Is riding around shooting them from a truck hunting?

Yes, technically, that would fall within the definition.

Texas Dan had also mentioned taking deer remotely with your smartphone - that could technically be hunting also, if the method used wasn't stationary.... like say, using a drone... It pretty much comes down to whether you are pursuing/chasing the prey.

Harvesting..... Hunting..... they're just descriptive terms. I seriously don't understand people's issue with using the proper descriptive terms for their activities. I'm not hooked on using any one word to describe my activities ... if I bring home a nice mature buck while sitting up in a tree stand, I'll be happy to describe it as harvesting. And if I'm walking around/stalking for 5 days out in the middle of AK and bag an moose, I'll be happy describing it as hunting. I don't see the problem.

Last edited by Binary; 12/16/19 05:30 AM.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690142 12/16/19 12:37 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Heck, when I leave the house I'm hoping to murder a deer. And, I'm not looking for a fair fight.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 12/16/19 12:38 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690213 12/16/19 01:57 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
300 acres and 10 feeders. Not my favorite way to hunt but is the most effective, at least in a 'normal' year.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Erathkid] #7690242 12/16/19 02:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Erathkid
300 acres and 10 feeders. Not my favorite way to hunt but is the most effective, at least in a 'normal' year.

Do you honestly have one feeder for every 30 acres of the area you hunt?

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7690276 12/16/19 03:05 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Yes, technically, that would fall within the definition.

Texas Dan had also mentioned taking deer remotely with your smartphone - that could technically be hunting also, if the method used wasn't stationary.... like say, using a drone... It pretty much comes down to whether you are pursuing/chasing the prey.

Harvesting..... Hunting..... they're just descriptive terms. I seriously don't understand people's issue with using the proper descriptive terms for their activities. I'm not hooked on using any one word to describe my activities ... if I bring home a nice mature buck while sitting up in a tree stand, I'll be happy to describe it as harvesting. And if I'm walking around/stalking for 5 days out in the middle of AK and bag an moose, I'll be happy describing it as hunting. I don't see the problem.

Interesting. On my Alaska Dall sheep hunt I hiked tons but ended up sitting and glassing for a couple hours before I could take a shot. Deer hunting is the same just less physical.

Seems to me the harvest implies some sort of guarantee where as the hunt does not.

[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690283 12/16/19 03:13 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Does this mean if I hunt over the wheat filed I am a "Wheat Field Hunter"? rofl

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: bphillips] #7690366 12/16/19 04:29 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

Interesting. On my Alaska Dall sheep hunt I hiked tons but ended up sitting and glassing for a couple hours before I could take a shot. Deer hunting is the same just less physical.

Seems to me the harvest implies some sort of guarantee where as the hunt does not.

To imply means there is something not expressly stated - a definition is an expressly stated meaning for a word. The words "Hunt" and "Harvest" have expressly stated/defined meanings. I think people implying things is the reason this thread has become so ridiculous ... Instead of just accepting that people use words for their actual meaning, people have been implying other things from the use of such words - like someone is acting superior or talking down to them. The real question is what kind of messed up environment do people live in where they can't accept words at face value.

A feeder is at a fixed location where people know their prey will visit (in fact, they probably know when because they have game cameras on the feeder and have logged their visiting habits) and thus they sit in a blind and wait for their prey, which eliminates the need for any pursuit/chase. If people don't like using the word "Harvesting" to describe their actions, they can also use the word "Ambush" ("a surprise attack by people lying in wait in a concealed position")... If you hunt a feeder, you are technically ambushing deer wink

On the other hand, hunting Dall sheep in Alaska as you described did not involve a fixed location where you knew your prey would be - you were actively moving and looking in new places for your prey. Stopping to glass to try to identify the location of your prey is a necessary part of any pursuit ... the important part is that you were on the move and actively searching out your prey because you didn't know exactly where they were going to show up. That's clearly within the defined meaning.

Last edited by Binary; 12/16/19 04:38 PM.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690390 12/16/19 04:52 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So if I pattern the route the deer travels I am ambushing and not hunting. Okay. rofl

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7690628 12/16/19 11:40 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
they can also use the word "Ambush" ("a surprise attack by people lying in wait in a concealed position")... If you hunt a feeder, you are technically ambushing deer wink

Since your telling everyone what words they can use, would you mind if I use the word “bushwhacked”.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bushwhack

But only if it’s ok with you.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690666 12/17/19 12:14 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
So perhaps this started when Cochise said he and his bil got permission to hunt 200 acres that had not been hunted for some time. Owner does not want them to feed corn because he does not want to attract pigs.
Sounds like a good deal to me and I would try to hunt the area where the trees are. I might hand throw some corn in the same area.

I sit in a box and watch a feeder hopefully to kill a deer. I don't harvest animals, just saying. blush

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7690721 12/17/19 01:03 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

It's hard for me to even understand why this is a debate....words have actual defined meanings, they don't just mean what we want them to. Seems obvious to me that some of you guys believe in your own minds that "hunting" animals is superior in some way, or more manly, than harvesting them - and thus want your actions to fall within the meaning of that word (regardless whether it does or not). Personally, I would say harvesting animals is far superior than hunting them - it's more efficient and has a higher rate of success. Hunting on the other hand is old-school .... it's a completely outdated and inefficient method of getting food, that hardly anyone partakes in anymore, and is far more challenging - I prefer it because of the challenge but it is definitely not a "superior" method of putting food on the table. In many ways, people like myself who still hunt are kind of idiots - doing a bunch of extra and unnecessary work to achieve the same outcome as harvesting.

Way too many people worrying about what other people are doing or what other people think. Hunt the way you want, let others hunt the way they want. Meat hunter, trophy hunter - get over it, it doesn't matter. Personally, I do my thing and try to stay out of other people's way and expect the same.

And you know what they say about opinions....

His first post on the THF.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690726 12/17/19 01:07 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This would be a good time to review...Rule 8.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Creekrunner] #7690746 12/17/19 01:30 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Some day you will shoot your bullet in the general direction of whatever game you dialed your computer gun to, the bullet will make corrections in flight and hit the given target. Wind, distance, range will be an afterthought. Also, you will know the animal was within a mile of you because of satellite tracking. Will this still be hunting? I say have fun and enjoy life; it’s short.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: maximus_flavius] #7690797 12/17/19 02:06 AM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

Since your telling everyone what words they can use, would you mind if I use the word “bushwhacked”.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bushwhack

But only if it’s ok with you.

Actually, I didn't tell anyone what words they can or can't use - in fact, I SPECIFICALLY told someone they can call what they do whatever they want. I simply pointed out what words are being used incorrectly. Again, if the meaning of words doesn't actually matter then the sky is red and the ocean is pink - you can say it but most of the world is going to look at you like your dumb.

Now, concerning your inquiry ... that's a tricky word there. Some of the major English dictionaries don't even recognize it as a word. And of the ones that do, there is a split in it's meaning. Some define it in a way that would mean your use of the word would be a correct use of the word - And others limit the scope of the word to guerrilla warfare. So, I guess it depends on who you are talking to as to how that word comes off - you might say that to some people who will be wondering why the hell a group of irregulars are engaging in military action against the deer population LOL

Last edited by Binary; 12/17/19 02:08 AM.
Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690819 12/17/19 02:17 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I believe the word "gay" has been used incorrectly. For quite a bit of time now.

And, while we're on that subject... grin...the alphabet people have added TWO MORE LETTERS while I was sleeping. Does anyone know what the "I" and the "A" stand for? Maybe the "A" is for androgynous? This is getting beyond bizarre.

But I digress.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7690834 12/17/19 02:29 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Proof that some folks will argue with a fence post.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7691017 12/17/19 01:16 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The good and the bad always work themselves out over time. Good things last while bad things eventually lead to bad results that require some type of corrective action. It happens with both the simplest and most complex things in life.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7691079 12/17/19 02:17 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I have seen some normally rational people use logical arguments to come up with absurd notions.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7691250 12/17/19 05:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
We often use the word "sport" to describe deer hunting which would lean towards some level of difficulty and skill being required.

I've spent my share of time watching a feeder or food plot but cannot say it required a lot of difficulty or skill short of dealing with the elements. As for satisfying the requirements of being called a sport while watching a feeder, that would fall more onto the need to get off an accurate shot. But then, with practice being a term often associated with sports, I wonder how many hunters can honestly say they participate in shooting as a sport?

Nowadays it seems we can call any behavior anything we want, so long as we can get enough people to agree with us. And that seems to hold true no matter what defined the behavior in the past. I can't think of a more perfect example of that than "sex". Yes, today a person can have sex with just about anything.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/17/19 05:59 PM.

Re: Feeder Hunters [Re: Diodog] #7691285 12/17/19 06:41 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
wtf

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5