Print Thread
Done For This Season #7687070 12/12/19 06:10 PM
F
Ftttu Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
Sad to say, but it is over for me until next year. I was unsuccessful in taking a deer this season - my first season for about 30 years. If it wasn’t for that over 400 mile round trip to the national forest and back, I’d be back out there. At least I had a great time catching up on what I’d been missing for so long.

I’ll tell you, that antler restriction is just mean. I know it serves the positive purposes for game management, but it has kept me from taking bucks on 3 of my 4 trips this season. I saw ‘Mr Big’ again yesterday, but he presented me only with a neck shot opportunity as he was trekking straight through the forest. About a minute later, a fork horn came following behind with another buck behind him a couple minutes later. It was a buck train with no does seen the entire day.

I scoped all three deer, but that last two stopped briefly enough for good broadside shots at about 60-65 yards. That last one never gave me a view of his antlers to allow me to determine AR or not. Again, I know positive results will follow with this management restriction, but it is just so unnatural to me not pulling the trigger.

Also, I’m happy Mr. Big is still out there, and I hope he makes it to next year so he can torment me again next year. Also, I was really hoping for some venison this year, but I can only look to next year with hopes of more opportunities with drawn hunts and/or a lease. At least I’m back!

Retired!
Re: Done For This Season [Re: Ftttu] #7687079 12/12/19 06:20 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
There are many racks of all different sizes that are trophies to all ages of hunters. I’ve seen deer that I would call “deformed” that are high, long tined, great deer—but they will never be outside their ears. Or they might make it the last two years of their life.

Re: Done For This Season [Re: Ftttu] #7687111 12/12/19 06:54 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Ftttu
Sad to say, but it is over for me until next year. I was unsuccessful in taking a deer this season - my first season for about 30 years. If it wasn’t for that over 400 mile round trip to the national forest and back, I’d be back out there. At least I had a great time catching up on what I’d been missing for so long.

I’ll tell you, that antler restriction is just mean. I know it serves the positive purposes for game management, but it has kept me from taking bucks on 3 of my 4 trips this season. I saw ‘Mr Big’ again yesterday, but he presented me only with a neck shot opportunity as he was trekking straight through the forest. About a minute later, a fork horn came following behind with another buck behind him a couple minutes later. It was a buck train with no does seen the entire day.

I scoped all three deer, but that last two stopped briefly enough for good broadside shots at about 60-65 yards. That last one never gave me a view of his antlers to allow me to determine AR or not. Again, I know positive results will follow with this management restriction, but it is just so unnatural to me not pulling the trigger.

Also, I’m happy Mr. Big is still out there, and I hope he makes it to next year so he can torment me again next year. Also, I was really hoping for some venison this year, but I can only look to next year with hopes of more opportunities with drawn hunts and/or a lease. At least I’m back!

There are numerous public opportunities around you that are much closer and higher success rates.......you should inquire in the public hunting section....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Done For This Season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7687142 12/12/19 07:48 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

There are numerous public opportunities around you that are much closer and higher success rates.......you should inquire in the public hunting section....

This. Man, at least you got out there and hunted. That's worth something.

Re: Done For This Season [Re: Ftttu] #7687224 12/12/19 09:39 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
At least you got out there and had some fun, that's what it's mostly about anyways right? What NF were you hunting in, Sam Houston?

Re: Done For This Season [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7687318 12/12/19 11:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

There is very limited public hunting around here unless you draw for it.

If your a bow hunter then you can go to Amistad or put in for the deer population control hunts around the lake.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Done For This Season [Re: txtrophy85] #7688304 12/14/19 01:13 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

There is very limited public hunting around here unless you draw for it.

If your a bow hunter then you can go to Amistad or put in for the deer population control hunts around the lake.

I know and it’s still pubic hunting isn’t it? Los of WMA and State Parks to put in to draw for.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 12/14/19 01:16 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Done For This Season [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7688436 12/14/19 03:39 AM
F
Ftttu Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by Binary
At least you got out there and had some fun, that's what it's mostly about anyways right? What NF were you hunting in, Sam Houston?

Thanks for the replies. And yes, I was in the Sam Houston NF northeast of New Waverly.

Yep, I will put in for several drawings for this next year for public land hunts. Also, I called my sister for her birthday today, and she just happened to be with her off again/on again boyfriend who is a boat salesman/hunting and fishing guide. He says he'll try to get me on a lease in the Matagorda area this next year. Prospects are already looking good for next year.

Retired!
Re: Done For This Season [Re: Ftttu] #7688581 12/14/19 01:09 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
For the price of fuel of your trip or less, doe hunts are available with a high probability of success. Watch the hunt outfitter section.

Sounds like the antler restrictions worked precisely as intended to protect young animals until they wise up into wily older bucks.

If we never came home empty handed, it would just be shooting rather than hunting.

Season is still open.

Re: Done For This Season [Re: jeffbird] #7689130 12/15/19 01:08 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jeffbird
.............................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................

If we never came home empty handed, it would just be shooting rather than hunting.

Yes, Sir. A point too often forgotten.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide