Print Thread
Any electricians here? #7684521 12/09/19 09:39 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Just discovered my moms home was wired with aluminum. It was built in 1967 and no known issues, however, one of the ceiling fixtures I went to replace was burned/brittled at the twist on connector. After doing some research, quickly discovered those connectors were not rated for CO/ALR applications. I purchased a bag of the Ideal connectors Connectors Are these adequate for adding copper pigtails? I know there are alumiconn connectors available as well that require a specific torque weight, based on wire gauge. I do have a Wheeler inch pound screwdriver to do this if these are the safer method of pig tailing. I presume all fixtures will need to be pigtailed as all fans, lights, etc will be wired with copper.

My next task will be to look at all outlets and switches to make sure they are rated for aluminum as well. Would it be recommended to add pigtails to these areas if the switches/outlets are properly rated for aluminum already?

Just looking for feedback. This is new to me but researching thoroughly before I make any moves. It's not my wheelhouse of expertise but I do like to do my research and be educated with new things.

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 12/09/19 09:43 PM.
Re: Any electricians here? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7684527 12/09/19 09:52 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Cast is our Electrician in residence.

Charlie

Re: Any electricians here? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7684528 12/09/19 09:52 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
PM Cast.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Any electricians here? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7684532 12/09/19 10:00 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Thanks guys. I shot him a PM.

Much Appreciated!

Re: Any electricians here? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7684574 12/09/19 10:53 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My response copied here -

Very very tricky. You cannot allow aluminum wire to touch copper wire. Galvanic corrosion, different expansion rates, literally playing with fire.

You need special connectors called AlumiConn to pigtail safely aluminum to copper. Your link didn’t work, Here’s mine.

Now, all that said, there’s not one dang thing wrong with properly installed aluminum wiring, especially in an older home that has been operating properly for years.

Your biggest issue with pigtailing this is bending the aluminum wire. It doesn’t like that and will crack on you if it’s bent too much or too often. So watch out for that. Be very gentle with it.

On the existing stuff throughout the home, removing them only flex’s the aluminum wire again. I might just remove the plates and inspect with a flashlight. There are special plugs and switches for aluminum and/or copper wire available and hopefully anybody before knew that and used them. I think you an tell by looking. Both screws may be silver on the special devices. I’ll let you figure that out. If you use them, you won’t need to pigtail.

Good luck and be careful. Make sure she has good smoke detectors.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Any electricians here? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7684642 12/09/19 11:57 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had aluminum wiring in my house in Nee Orleans.. It was built in 1970. Only lived there 3 years. Never had a problem.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Any electricians here? [Re: Cast] #7684713 12/10/19 01:08 AM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cast
My response copied here -

Very very tricky. You cannot allow aluminum wire to touch copper wire. Galvanic corrosion, different expansion rates, literally playing with fire.

You need special connectors called AlumiConn to pigtail safely aluminum to copper. Your link didn’t work, Here’s mine.

Now, all that said, there’s not one dang thing wrong with properly installed aluminum wiring, especially in an older home that has been operating properly for years.

Your biggest issue with pigtailing this is bending the aluminum wire. It doesn’t like that and will crack on you if it’s bent too much or too often. So watch out for that. Be very gentle with it.

On the existing stuff throughout the home, removing them only flex’s the aluminum wire again. I might just remove the plates and inspect with a flashlight. There are special plugs and switches for aluminum and/or copper wire available and hopefully anybody before knew that and used them. I think you an tell by looking. Both screws may be silver on the special devices. I’ll let you figure that out. If you use them, you won’t need to pigtail.

Good luck and be careful. Make sure she has good smoke detectors.

Thanks Again Cast. Appreciate your time to respond!!! up cheers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide