This was my first attempt at making this cake recipe. It was my mothers recipe that she always made for me on my birthday. I did not realize how much went into making it from scratch. She would double the frosting recipe so I did the same. It took all of it to cover the cake, so it was a good thing I did.German Chocolate cake
1 Pkg. - German Chocolate (4 oz.)
2.5 Cups - Sifted Flour
1 tsp. - Soda
½ Cup - Boiling Water
1 Cup - Margarine
2 Cups – Sugar
1 Cup - Buttermilk
4 - Egg yolks unbeaten
4 - Egg whites
1 tsp. - Vanilla
½ tsp. – Salt
* Melt chocolate in ½ cup of boiling water and let cool.
* Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
* Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each.
* Add melted chocolate mixture and mix well.
* Sift together, salt , soda , and flour.
* Add alternately with milk to chocolate mixture beating till smooth.
* Beat egg white until stiff and fold into batter.
* Pour into 3/ 8 or 9 inch round pans that have been greased and floured.
* Bake @ 350 for about 40 minutes.
Frosting: I always double this.(combine) 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1 stick of margarine, 1 tsp. vanilla in sauce pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened (about 12 minutes). Add 1 ½ cups of coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans. Beat until cool and thickened enough to spread. Frost between layers, top and side of cake.