Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,392
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679769 12/04/19 06:38 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by takewhatyoucan64
Roflmao. They were building great things long before go into debt college.

So it used to just be college then? So now go into debt college is stupid?

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679773 12/04/19 06:40 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
Originally Posted by z71dustin

For most. Apprentices need to come back for most everything including general medicine and vets.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679774 12/04/19 06:41 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
There's alot of stupid degrees out there for sure but without question there are jobs that you need the schooling for. If you think a HS kids with internet connections can teach themselves to be anything and college is totally worthless then lord help us all.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679781 12/04/19 06:49 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
There's alot of stupid degrees out there for sure but without question there are jobs that you need the schooling for. If you think a HS kids with internet connections can teach themselves to be anything and college is totally worthless then lord help us all.

Yep that broad brush you guys are trying to use is pretty idiotic.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: TCM3] #7679786 12/04/19 06:54 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by TCM3
College isn't school
It's Indoctrination.

But since you aren't old enough for college, you don't have any firsthand experience, do you?

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679788 12/04/19 06:58 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Siri is excellent at math

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Choctaw] #7679790 12/04/19 07:00 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Choctaw
College isn't school
It's Indoctrination.

But since you aren't old enough for college, you don't have any firsthand experience, do you?

He's not even out of H.S.? roflmao

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679791 12/04/19 07:02 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
He's right though.....and yall know it.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679796 12/04/19 07:07 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I prefer to form my opinion of what happens in college based off of my own experiences from within the last decade, the dozen or so professors and several dozen current grad students I currently work with.

That makes more sense to me than listening to what a homeschooled highschooler and folks who are 20+ years out of college think it is like currently.

2cents

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679799 12/04/19 07:09 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
First define the author's opinion if struggling in math. It is the author's opinion. clap

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679806 12/04/19 07:18 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
I prefer to form my opinion of what happens in college based off of my own experiences from within the last decade, the dozen or so professors and several dozen current grad students I currently work with.

That makes more sense to me than listening to what a homeschooled highschooler and folks who are 20+ years out of college think it is like currently.

2cents

They indoctrinated you good. rofl

I'm teasing amigo.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679807 12/04/19 07:19 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Choctaw
College isn't school
It's Indoctrination.

He's not even out of H.S.? roflmao

God this is priceless.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: gtrich94] #7679812 12/04/19 07:33 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Point being the valedictorian should have already taken calculus and not be struggling in a state college calculus course, if that is what she is struggling in.

A valedictorian is the top person in a HS. A Detroit school likely has several hundred per class, if not more. This means that the top academic performer in a Detroit HS can not do what 1/3 of my kids HS class in Texas has done? I think that's the point the article is trying to make.

All I'm saying is that you would be surprised at how many valedictorian's and other really smart kids get to college and are blown away by the difference in college level classes vs what they are taught in high school. My HS class had 3 valedictorians. One went to MIT, one went to the Air Force Academy and I think the 3rd went to Harvard. The girl who went to the AF Academy failed out her first semester. She was a smart kid and breezed through her HS classes without any effort. She got to college and found out she wasn't the smartest person in the room anymore and couldn't get by with minimal effort. When I was at Ga Tech in the 80's, I knew several kids that took AP Calculus in HS and tested out of the first two Calculus classes. They decided to take them anyway because they thought it would be an easy A and ended up struggling to pass the classes. I also knew a couple that skipped Calculus 1 and 2 because of AP credits and then failed Calculus 3 their first go-round. It happens.

In this girls case, she got some tutoring and ended up with a B in the class. So it doesn't sound like she was struggling that bad. For the rest of the article, it's the same old story about how kids coming out of school today have to take remedial classes when they get to college. When I went to college in the 80's and 90's, I knew a lot of kids that had to take remedial math when they got to college. Heck, here in Houston, San Jac pretty much required it and it was an easy way for them to charge students for an couple of extra classes. The only difference is that more people are writing articles about it now.

Apples to oranges, the USAFA is not a school for everyone, and even good smart kids fail out due to the ton of other personal issues that go on in that first year. It is college, bootcamp, and complete isolation from family and friends that make someone very susceptible to fail out the first semester.

The rest of the comment was relateable, and I get what you are saying, but we still don't know if the class she was struggling in was calc or not. It could very well have been a lower level math. We don't know, doesn't matter.

The bottom line though, is we are continuing to see a dumbing down of America because success is "too white" or "caused by systemic racism" or "colored folks don't relate to math" or whatever the excuse dujoir of the day is, the bottom line is people of all colors in lower socioeconomic levels don't do well in school. Is this because we aren't pouring enough money into those schools? Heck no. It is largely because they have no parental units in the home for the majority of the day (single mom is working two jobs to feed the kids) or the ones that are home are whacked out all day on alcohol or drugs. Parental support and a priority to school is the basis for improving this problem. It isn't "ethnic math" or bussing as some cities have tried to push. We all know this, but the problem is the politicians think they have an answer and to get re-elected in big cities you have to pander to colored people these days. Reality of it all is the politicians are a bunch of idiots, very few of them could pass a GED class, but they know how to work the system and make money doing it.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Texas buckeye] #7679820 12/04/19 07:41 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
Boooooooom. Nailed it.

Adios yall have fun

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679821 12/04/19 07:42 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

For most. Apprentices need to come back for most everything including general medicine and vets.

You do realize back in the day when there were such things, the "apprentice" for a doctor or vet would still have the equivalent of a college education. These folks were very learned and needed to be very bright and show aptitude for learning and experimentation as much in those days was trial and error and just learning on the fly, with the basis of our understanding of science at the time. These weren't people straight out of primary school...

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Texas buckeye] #7679824 12/04/19 07:47 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline OP
giddyup
OP Offline
giddyup
F
Yes I understand it.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679840 12/04/19 08:11 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have no room to talk. I’m terrible at math. But learned on this thread that Siri does math.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679860 12/04/19 09:04 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by huck18
College isn't school
It's Indoctrination.

rolleyes

Truth hurts. You can get a far better education with some common sense and a $30.00 a month internet connection. But keep telling kids to waste money they don't have on government guaranteed loans so banks can get richer and kids go broke paying for something that's useless.

Sure thing buddy. Go hop on a plane built by self taught engineers and drive over bridges and work in skyscrapers built by all self taught folks from the internet.

That's not to mention med school or vet school.

You named the very few things college is worth going for math, engineering, med school, etc...Now what percentage of college students are going into debt for those degrees, 5%?

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Texas buckeye] #7679864 12/04/19 09:12 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

You do realize back in the day when there were such things, the "apprentice" for a doctor or vet would still have the equivalent of a college education. These folks were very learned and needed to be very bright and show aptitude for learning and experimentation as much in those days was trial and error and just learning on the fly, with the basis of our understanding of science at the time. These weren't people straight out of primary school...

You proved our point. Back then "the equivalent" was time spent on the trade, ie: useful time spent learning a skill/trade. That's much different than a gender studies degree or a semester learning about patriarchal oppression of minorities or how whitey is everything wrong with the world. If you look at what colleges are churning out and think they're moving in the right direction you just might be one of the poor misinformed indoctrinated soles we're talking about.

For most kids if they started working in a field in high demand right out of high school they'd be much further ahead financially than their college counterparts 15 years down the line.

Learn to code. Make 6 figures without every going to college. Job opportunities are endless.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Dustnsand] #7679868 12/04/19 09:18 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
College isn't school
It's Indoctrination.

rolleyes

Truth hurts. You can get a far better education with some common sense and a $30.00 a month internet connection. But keep telling kids to waste money they don't have on government guaranteed loans so banks can get richer and kids go broke paying for something that's useless.

Sure thing buddy. Go hop on a plane built by self taught engineers and drive over bridges and work in skyscrapers built by all self taught folks from the internet.

Airplanes were invented by two high school dropouts, one of which who was kicked out of grade school, genius.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: fadetoblack64] #7679876 12/04/19 09:28 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

Airplanes were invented by two high school dropouts, one of which who was kicked out of grade school, genius.

And that airplane is very similiar to the ones of today isn't it? I know it was loaded with electronics and had a couple of engines for sure.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: huck18] #7679897 12/04/19 10:09 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Weren't those two drop-outs the same dudes who crashed a few times? One of the crashes, I believe, is known for being the first to kill a person. Just sayin'.

@stirring pot in fun@

It's all trial and error in the beginning - or more professional sounding, research and development.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: Mickey Moose] #7679902 12/04/19 10:16 PM
H
huck18 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

Weren't those two drop-outs the same dudes who crashed a few times? One of the crashes, I believe, is known for being the first to kill a person. Just sayin'.

@stirring pot in fun@

It's all trial and error in the beginning - or more professional sounding, research and development.

And the new 737 Max which I assume was engineered and built by all these super smart college educated people who are always right and never make mistakes has been permanently grounded due to safety issues and has lost Boeing billions of dollars thanks to those college educated geniuses.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: huck18] #7679911 12/04/19 10:34 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Wrong answer. This is where our education system fails, it generalizes things and then people make false statements. in math, this is equivalent to common core where the right answer isn't as important as the method...

The wrights were the first to have a manned powered flight. The airplane concept had been around for at least several decades prior, but no one could figure out how to make powered flight work. There were multiple sources both in the US and overseas working this all around the same time. The wrights benefitted from having their bicycle shop with the tools and fabrication machinery available to them to make reproducible models and testing devices (wind tunnels) and they were hard working, meticulous, willing to take risks, and willing AND ABLE to learn form their mistakes. They figured out powered flight first, but didn't invent the airplane.

Within a couple years of their first flight, there were several others with flying machines, and within a decade we fought a war using airplanes. If the wirghts invented the airplane, that would not have been possible, but because there were so many working on powered flight, the ideas and innovations flourished quickly after the concept was proven by the wirghts.

Re: Doing away with math and the SAT.......our country is so F'ed [Re: huck18] #7679913 12/04/19 10:35 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
And the new 737 Max which I assume was engineered and built by all these super smart college educated people who are always right and never make mistakes has been permanently grounded due to safety issues and has lost Boeing billions of dollars thanks to those college educated geniuses.

Never mind that the FAA didn't do their part (and I don't know how much of that has to do with college or not). Or maybe I don't understand all the facts.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide