Print Thread
Best travel trailer tires #7670083 11/22/19 10:55 PM
J
jimgb Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
I have a rockwood 26o4 ws what is the best brand of tries for travel trailer thanks.

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7670098 11/22/19 11:15 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
For ST - Goodyear endurance.

I install LT rib / highway tread on frequently used trailers.

Of course in an appropriate load range & load index #.

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7670279 11/23/19 03:49 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maxxis

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: Rustler] #7670417 11/23/19 01:29 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Rustler

I install LT rib / highway tread on frequently used trailers.

Of course in an appropriate load range & load index #.

This. I use nothing but E-Rated 16" Michelin light truck tires. Currently LTX, but next summer my TT will get XPS Ribs. I don't do ST tires anymore. I've had my own blowouts and every time I travel I see a trailer on the side of the road changing a blown out tire. No more. YMMV.

For smaller trailers with less than 16" wheels, D-Rated "euro-van" tires work well. These are tires designed for heavy service on work or utility vans in Europe. The Continental Vanco 2 is a great example, but I'm not sure if that model is still around...it's just one I have experience with.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7673230 11/26/19 10:17 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I used Carlisle for years.... at work we used Goodyear for forever, believe it or not for about the last decade we have been running Firestone LT tires on our light duty trailers.

Rustler is really standing behind these new Goodyear’s, I may give them a shot next.

I assure you it will NOT be an off brand trailer tire, that IS why you see so many trailer tire blowouts.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7673244 11/26/19 10:39 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
OP has an rv that more than likely has 15” tires. Maxxis makes a load range E in 15” size.

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7673246 11/26/19 10:42 PM
T
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Maxxis are not the best option IMO there are several tires I would buy first.

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7673276 11/26/19 11:19 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I used to buy the best name brand tires I could get, and I still had flats, blowouts, tire separation, and anything else that could happen to them. Now, I contact a friend and buy his cheap 10 ply tires and save 3/4 of what I was paying. They are cheap enough that if I have to replace them every year it won’t scratch the pocket book. And I routinely run them at 80-85 mph for hours at a time.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #7673286 11/26/19 11:31 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
I used Carlisle for years.... at work we used Goodyear for forever, believe it or not for about the last decade we have been running Firestone LT tires on our light duty trailers.

Rustler is really standing behind these new Goodyear’s, I may give them a shot next.

I assure you it will NOT be an off brand trailer tire, that IS why you see so many trailer tire blowouts.

I'm not really standing behind the Goodyear endurance, When an ST tire needs replacing all mine go to a rib/highway LT.
Some folks are very hesitant to use an LT tire in place of an ST so I always respond with the only choice I know is an American made trailer tire (ST).

I know quite a few that have had very good service from them on light trailers.
I have a set on one single axle (3500 gvw) utility trailer, so far so good, much better than any previous tire.
Boat, utility, travel, car dolly trailers, some of those folks with bass/fishing boats are putting 12,000 - 20,000 per year on them.
For a light duty trailer they seem to perform very well. ( say 3,500lb or less per axle)

The most important things concerning trailer tires is;
always select the appropriate load range and load index number tire for your specific application.
check & adjust cold air psi frequently.
I balance all trailer tires.

I have no better or worse luck with Maxxis ST tires than any other decent brand import trailer tire.

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7673357 11/27/19 12:32 AM
T
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Maxxis is not the same quality as Gladiator

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7678141 12/02/19 11:54 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
after years of the Goodyear Marathon slinging apart after 1-2 years of light use, I moved to Carlisle and/or Maxxis on my trailers. about 3 years ago, I had tread separation on two on my 14k lb capacity gooseneck that I carry my tractor on (quite a few miles each year), Discount Tire warrantied the two bad ones and also said the two others were close to the same shape and warrantied those also. They only had the Goodyear Endurance in stock in the size/load capacity I needed but I was hesitant after the nightmares with the Marathons. They told me there were really good reviews on the Endurance and Goodyear made some major improvements. I needed the trailer, so I said lets give them a try. They have held up very well over the last ~3 years, still good tread and seem to be holding up better than anything else I have used in the past 10+ years.

I would have no issue running appropriate load rating LT tires on a single axle trailer, but I'll stick to ST for tandem axle due to added stress when tight turning with a load.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7678266 12/03/19 02:05 AM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I had heard about the Marathons being reallly bad but I bought the endurance for my boat and they have been great. For hunting I run a 5x9 utility for my Polaris and just put the Carlisle HD trail on it and they are good. D rated and speed up to 82 for passing. So far so good but would not run Chinese on my boat, but the bottom line here is with the right pressure you’re way less likely to have blowouts ST or LT.

Last edited by 4Weight; 12/03/19 02:08 AM.
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7678805 12/03/19 06:28 PM
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
I have the Endurance on my dual axle Champion boat trailer. In 1-1/2 years no problems. Loaded weight is right at 5000 lbs

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: jimgb] #7678909 12/03/19 08:35 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
When I got a new (used) boat this summer one of the things I did immediately was replace the trailer tires.
Did a bunch of research and overwhelmingly people recommended the Goodyear Endurance (not Marathon)

I do NOT want to deal with flats and blowouts even though we keep the boat on the coast and don't trailer it far to the ramp(s) we use.

Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: PMK] #7679351 12/04/19 10:15 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by PMK
I would have no issue running appropriate load rating LT tires on a single axle trailer, but I'll stick to ST for tandem axle due to added stress when tight turning with a load.

LT tires are fully rated for tandem axle trailer applications as long as the weight ratings support the load. The only time I wouldn't use an LT tire on the trailer is when the TIRE MANUFACTURER specifically states not to use a certain model in trailer applications. But I've never seen that before.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-329237.html

Yes, both special trailer (ST) and light truck (LT) tires can be used on a 5th wheel trailer. They are actually the only two types of tires rated for this use.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: kry226] #7679560 12/04/19 03:28 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by kry226
[quote=PMK]I would have no issue running appropriate load rating LT tires on a single axle trailer, but I'll stick to ST for tandem axle due to added stress when tight turning with a load.

LT tires are fully rated for tandem axle trailer applications as long as the weight ratings support the load. The only time I wouldn't use an LT tire on the trailer is when the TIRE MANUFACTURER specifically states not to use a certain model in trailer applications. But I've never seen that before.

yes, weight carrying capacity being rated the same the LT will work fine ... but the ST has stiffer sidewalls that help prevent sway and roll over the rim in tight turns on a tandem ...

ST vs LT

Last edited by PMK; 12/04/19 03:31 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Best travel trailer tires [Re: PMK] #7680262 12/05/19 04:38 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by kry226
[quote=PMK]I would have no issue running appropriate load rating LT tires on a single axle trailer, but I'll stick to ST for tandem axle due to added stress when tight turning with a load.

yes, weight carrying capacity being rated the same the LT will work fine ... but the ST has stiffer sidewalls that help prevent sway and roll over the rim in tight turns on a tandem ...

ST vs LT

Yes, I've read all that and I haven't come to my conclusion in a vacuum. I am a tire Nazi and meticulously maintain them and always ensure they have the correct pressure. Yes, I'm that guy checking tire pressure at 0600 to get the cleanest cold temp pressure I can. And I pay attention to folks with experience who aren't bound by the same lawyers tire manufacturers are. I've had my own blow out with STs. Every time I travel, I see trailers on the side of the road with blow outs. Airstream even started installing 16" E-rated LT tires on their trailers from the factory. As for preventing sway, my TT has never been more sure footed than AFTER is switched to LT tires. At the end of the day, I don't care what anyone else runs. It's not my trailer. I'm just trying to save some folks some grief and a lot of money in damage caused by ST tires when they blow and beat a man's trailer into submission. YMMV. I'll continue to run my LTs on my trailer and sleep like a baby knowing that I'm not facing a blowout next time I get on the road.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide