Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Teamed Coyote Kill #7671767 11/25/19 02:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Pig_Popper and I went hunting over the weekend, going after coyotes and hogs. Long story short, seemed like everything was managing to get a free pass from us due to distance, objects or animals in the background, or as in one case, getting outright busted. We were 7 hours into the hunt when we came across this one coyote and the cattle got spooking and ran off this coyote at least twice, in different directions, as we tried to move in on it. First the cattle would come at us and then they would run away and the coyote would be down range. Sheesh. Finally, the coyote was out in the open and Pig_Popper said he could make the shot, but honestly, I didn't want to try shooting that far at that point (~220 yards) and so tried lipsqueaking to call it in and it came in beautifully.

It stopped 125 yards in front of us and we both managed to shoot it, and then things got weird. Neither bullet exits. Rarely do I find bullets inside of coyotes given how small they are, much less having both bullets remain inside. Next, while we both aimed at the chest, his shot was slightly earlier than my shot and with a faster bullet, impacted much sooner and it would appear that the impact caused the coyote to drop her head where upon my shot ended up hitting her above the eye. Then we used the metal detector to find the locations of the bullets and went to trying to recover them. The Custom Reloads of Dallas Hornady ELD-M from my Grendel blasted through the head, along the neck and most of it ended up in the shoulder in several pieces with LOTS of damage. When I cut out "Pig_Popper's" bullet from way back by the right hip, he promptly identified it as the core from my bullet. So somewhere else inside this coyote was his .308 S&B SPCE. Agaiin we wanded the coyote trying to get a hit with the metal detector and thinking it was buried deep inside, opened up the chest cavity and then pulled out the intestines without finding. Back to wanding it again, this time check everything and finally got a hit way back between the legs about as far back as you could go without the bullet exiting. His bullet came out relatively intact and nicely mushroomed. Both bullets performed well given what they hit, doing lots of damage. Given how nice this coyote looked on the outside was amazing given how messed up she was on the inside, LOL.

I included a lot of video from his Bering Optics Hogster-R thermal sight. It is pretty darned cool and seemed to have capabilities well above its cost. It is small and light, but despite the lower resolution, small lens, and less magnification than my Trijicon, it was certainly sufficient for our needs. I have looked through the scope and as is the case with vids uploaded to YouTube, there is some image clarity lost. For both my scope and his, you can get some idea how much the image has been degraded in the recording process compared to what you see inside the scope as the features such as crosshairs, text, or icons that look just a little blurry on video are actually quite clear and well defined inside the scope as seen by the user. You will see how the Hogster-R image does pixelate some with magnification and that actually occurs.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 11/25/19 02:34 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Teamed Coyote Kill [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7671966 11/25/19 06:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Cool. My neighbors llamas and donkeys chased a 3 legged coyote through fence. It stopped broadside about 30 yards in front of me so I hit it in the shoulder with my 30.06 150 grain. there was no bullet recovery but I could tell where it exited. grin

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Teamed Coyote Kill [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7679002 12/03/19 10:15 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
up

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Teamed Coyote Kill [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7679474 12/04/19 02:20 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
flag

Re: Teamed Coyote Kill [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7681869 12/06/19 08:53 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
A long night but with something to show for your efforts!
Nice video, Keep After 'Em!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Teamed Coyote Kill [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7682089 12/07/19 01:23 AM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I was glad she responded to your lip squeak - when we first setup I thought it would be a test of all my ability to connect, especially since I haven’t shot past 120 yards with the new thermal.

I completely forgot about your mouth squeak skills and probably needed it to make the shot count.

I was certainly perplexed by the 308 bullet not exiting and I had given up on recovering it about 10 minutes earlier than you - I doubt I’ll ever recover another from a coyote (308)

Thanks for the invite , it was a good hunt with a few “oh so close” hog opportunities .

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Teamed Coyote Kill [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7686532 12/11/19 11:35 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Extra tough Coyote I guess.

First time I've seen a major caliber bullet stay in a Coyote. Pretty unique.

Good job guys.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide