Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7677682 12/02/19 03:57 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
by the time you go out and buy a heater,really good sleeping bag,etc better just to drive the 30 min!!!!

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7677693 12/02/19 04:06 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Get you a bail of hay and core it out. I bet you'll want to stay in it all day long. grin

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: easton1025] #7677705 12/02/19 04:23 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by easton1025
by the time you go out and buy a heater,really good sleeping bag,etc better just to drive the 30 min!!!!

If your young a cot is unnecessary. For under $100 bucks he could get a nice bag and another $100 gets him a nice camp mattress to go on the ground if he needs it. This is assuming he starts from scratch. Heaters are cheap. Box of wet wipes is cheap too "shower in a box".

Hotels are for when you have been bird hunting all day and are flat just wore out and need a shower. Deer hunting I'd much rather camp and do so pretty much every time, hard to beat the camp fire and the experience.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678192 12/03/19 12:51 AM
M
mightyp Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
good sleeping bag is a must,huge difference between good bags and "ok" bags. Buddy heater has saved my hunts many a times. Good sleeping bag and a buddy heater and you'll be fine

It's still "we the people", right?

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678217 12/03/19 01:23 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Been up there twice and stayed in motel with about a 30 min drive to where I hunted. Believe me that weather can be brutal up there in December, I never liked staying in motel and would much rather stay on property but if you do be prepared for single digit temps. I have camped down to zero in the mountains in a army tent but we had heat all night. Last time I hunted Kansas the truck showed 1 degree the morning we left and I was ready to get back to Texas.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678261 12/03/19 02:03 AM
D
David7912 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Take the money you will spend on the room at the hotel and buy the best sleeping bag you can afford. Your young it's a good investment .The folks on here are right take a tent it's easier to heat up the inside of a tent than all outdoors. We used some army cots put egg crate mattresses on the cots then the bags. Take a buddy heater if you don't feel comfortable sleeping with it on all night just keep it close where you can light it to heat up the tent before you get out of bed. Camped in Colorado several times,waked up it was in the teens inside the tent coldest I've ever been just trying to get my hunting clothes on.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678306 12/03/19 02:47 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I've hunted in the Flint Hills this time of year (many times), and I've also stayed in a metal building this time of year too. I'm in the military and I own a military sleep system. I know how to stay warm and endure if I have to. And based on my own experiences and what you've described, I'm picking the hotel under any and every circumstance. There's just no reason to tough it out for the same amount of money. The cold doesn't care, and outside of a hotel, there's no way to get out of, or away from, the cold. Just go back to your cold metal building between hunts. And freeze. Good luck with that.

Stay in the hotel. You'll have a better hunt.

[Linked Image]
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678347 12/03/19 03:14 AM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Depends on the hotel but as said by a few, if you have no camping gear it will probably be cheaper to just get the hotel.

For camping in the cold though. A good sleeping bag is an obvious thing but good warm bags can be had fairly cheap if you go for car camping types rather than backpacking style (aka pack very small and light and usually down). The sleeping pad is a huge part of staying warm though and even in a good bag will make a ton of difference. Higher r value the better for cold. Just a bag and pad though will cost more than the hotel room.

Last edited by z71dustin; 12/03/19 03:14 AM.
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678377 12/03/19 03:36 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Hotel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank us later !

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678460 12/03/19 11:16 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
All this talk of hotels just blows me away. I guess while he is there, he can just stay inside, get under the covers and watch the outdoors channel.

Good hunting stores don't often start with, "I left the hotel to get to the pasture . . . ". Live the experience and embrace the challenge. Carpe diem!

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678476 12/03/19 12:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I hunt out of my truck a lot that includes sleeping and cooking. If you have a building to block the wind and electric, I’d say stay there. Good sleeping bag, pad and electric blanket and you are good to go. If the building is real big, add a tent. A tent will trap heat pretty quick if you have a stove/heater. I slept last year in 15 degree weather in the panhandle via a canvas bivy w/pad and sleeping bag and I slept like a baby.

Biggest thing is the wind. If you can cut the wind out the rest is easy.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: easton1025] #7678477 12/03/19 12:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by easton1025

Most those small town Hotels rip you. 75-90 a night x 5 nights.... it adds up quick.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: Hudbone] #7678658 12/03/19 03:59 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hudbone
All this talk of hotels just blows me away. I guess while he is there, he can just stay inside, get under the covers and watch the outdoors channel.

Good hunting stores don't often start with, "I left the hotel to get to the pasture . . . ". Live the experience and embrace the challenge. Carpe diem!

Exactly. "remember that big Kansas cold front in December 2019 when we sat on the couch and watched Bonanza reruns instead of getting out and going deer hunting," said Noone Ever.......

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: Hudbone] #7678672 12/03/19 04:24 PM
H
HoldPoint Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

[Linked Image]

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: chalet] #7678757 12/03/19 05:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by chalet

Exactly. "remember that big Kansas cold front in December 2019 when we sat on the couch and watched Bonanza reruns instead of getting out and going deer hunting," said Noone Ever.......

What a straw man. He’s not talking about not hunting or anything close to it.

My farm has an old farmhouse on it. It has electricity and hot/cold running water. Some of my best deer and best hunting memories come from hunting that place. I don’t think camping out in the yard would enhance those memories.

Backcountry hunting is a great experience and I’ve done my share. Doesn’t mean every hunt where you don’t sleep outside isn’t fun. If you can make yourself more comfortable, there’s nothing wrong with doing so. It’s not a manliness test.

That said, he’s young and tough. He might enjoy it. At 55, I don’t apologize for a comfortable place to sleep. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7678804 12/03/19 06:27 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
When I get old like you maybe I'll have the same opinion.... bolt

Agreed though, to each his own.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678807 12/03/19 06:29 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
From the OP's 2nd post, "Oh, and I don't have too much money to spend so I'd like to keep costs on equipment down." I love the way so many respond without regard to this statement. What a 55 year old man realizes and can afford to make things more comfortable is a stark contrast to a youngen" just wanting to get out there, enjoy the experience, embrace the challenge and do it with no frills. A lil' encouragement should be in order rather than the stay in a hotel comments. He'll find out for himself.

For 14 years, I stayed in a metal cabin with little in the way of amenities. Always colder on the inside than on the outside, it was awesome and the girls have their stories from when they started getting down there from the age of 5 on. You could actually walk out the door and start hunting.

One of my favorite hunting trips got us caught in a blizzard on a mountain in NE Utah. No propane, no electricity and we woke up with the tent collapsing from the weight of the snow. One of the guys told us you keep warmer by sleeping naked. Did not sleep next to that fella' that night or ever since. Getting down the next day was heck, true heck. None of us got a buck that trip, but all of us still reminisce about that night.

My favorite fishing trip was putting in on the Hwy 57 bridge near La Pryor and to head down to Carrizo. Hotels were not an option as seeing a home or a human wasn't either. It was only 20 something miles. Locals do that trip, but not in February. It didn't reach 45 that first day. People still laugh at me for going then. It didn't matter as a three inch rain the night before near Uvalde caused the river to swell and lots of paddling kept us warm as we dumped over multiple times each day. Portaging helped to keep us warm also. There was so much dead fall I wish I could have conjured up a chain saw. The fire next to the two man tent pitched on the pecan bottom during our overnight stay was the best camp fire ever - could not have ever, ever been a better one. I am just glad we caught fish or we also would have been hungry. Cooking up fresh bass in crushed pringles turned out to be gourmet quality.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: Hudbone] #7678955 12/03/19 09:30 PM
T
thegrouse Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
From the OP's 2nd post, "Oh, and I don't have too much money to spend so I'd like to keep costs on equipment down." I love the way so many respond without regard to this statement. What a 55 year old man realizes and can afford to make things more comfortable is a stark contrast to a youngen" just wanting to get out there, enjoy the experience, embrace the challenge and do it with no frills. A lil' encouragement should be in order rather than the stay in a hotel comments. He'll find out for himself.

For 14 years, I stayed in a metal cabin with little in the way of amenities. Always colder on the inside than on the outside, it was awesome and the girls have their stories from when they started getting down there from the age of 5 on. You could actually walk out the door and start hunting.

One of my favorite hunting trips got us caught in a blizzard on a mountain in NE Utah. No propane, no electricity and we woke up with the tent collapsing from the weight of the snow. One of the guys told us you keep warmer by sleeping naked. Did not sleep next to that fella' that night or ever since. Getting down the next day was heck, true heck. None of us got a buck that trip, but all of us still reminisce about that night.

My favorite fishing trip was putting in on the Hwy 57 bridge near La Pryor and to head down to Carrizo. Hotels were not an option as seeing a home or a human wasn't either. It was only 20 something miles. Locals do that trip, but not in February. It didn't reach 45 that first day. People still laugh at me for going then. It didn't matter as a three inch rain the night before near Uvalde caused the river to swell and lots of paddling kept us warm as we dumped over multiple times each day. Portaging helped to keep us warm also. There was so much dead fall I wish I could have conjured up a chain saw. The fire next to the two man tent pitched on the pecan bottom during our overnight stay was the best camp fire ever - could not have ever, ever been a better one. I am just glad we caught fish or we also would have been hungry. Cooking up fresh bass in crushed pringles turned out to be gourmet quality.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

That is what I am talking about! I explained this to my kids last week when we were putting up our wet tents at camp in the 45 degree rain and wind. The best memories may not have been pleasant at the time. Noboby remembers the balmy sunny perfect camping trips smile

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678977 12/03/19 09:49 PM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Ice fishing last year:

[Linked Image]

My son and I camped at that temp for 2 days on the lake. You have a shelter already so that's a good chunk of the battle won already. Add some propane heat and a carbon monoxide detector if you are going to sleep with the heat on. Get a comfortable cot, a sleeping pad with a high "R" value, and a bag rated for temps 15 or 20 degrees colder than you anticipate in your sleeping area. At -38 outside the warmest we could get it in the tent with the medium size buddy heater on high was 25F. I used a 0F bag and was comfortable. Get the adapter for the heater as well - 1lb bottles suck.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7678997 12/03/19 10:11 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
What camping gear do you currently have?

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7679011 12/03/19 10:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
ok, first things first, a CO2 detector for a barn that is "vented" by being only metal sheet construction is completely unnecessary. Take a heater, don't worry about creating a CO2 sink that will kill you. That stuff will diffuse away quickly. This isn't a house with quality construction.

Second, with electricity, there are so many options; electric blankets, electric space heaters, hot plates for cooking or even electric griddles. You can stay warm quite easily out of the wind and precipitation with electricity.

My suggestion is a cheapo tent, a decent bag, some extension cords, an electric space heater, and several blankets bought at army surplus, the big wool types. You can have the electric heater blowing hot air into the tents vicinity but not too close, then use the wool blankets on top and under the sleeping bag for warmth. You will be fine in below zero with that set up. If you want to get spendy, get a mattress to sleep on and use the wool blankets on top of the bag.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7679012 12/03/19 10:30 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Don't forget to check Craig's List for cheap camping gear before you go. You can save a lot of money

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7679015 12/03/19 10:35 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I like the army surplus stores.

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: RPG1997] #7679053 12/03/19 11:27 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It sounds like you’re in college. This should be a no brainer. Take One fat girl or two skinny ones with you. I’d recommend two skinny ones. That way they’ll have someone to talk to while they’re cooking breakfast and dinner during hunting hours. You’ll stay warm at night either way and the memories will outlast any Boon and Crockett you might kill on the trip, plus it’ll make a lot better story. If you can’t find a friendly fat girl in Lubbock there’s plenty in Kansas, you could rotate them out. Post up the pics when you get back!

Re: Camping in Cold Weather [Re: scalebuster] #7679054 12/03/19 11:29 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by scalebuster
It sounds like you’re in college. This should be a no brainer. Take One fat girl or two skinny ones with you. I’d recommend two skinny ones. That way they’ll have someone to talk to while they’re cooking breakfast and dinner during hunting hours. You’ll stay warm at night either way and the memories will outlast any Boon and Crockett you might kill on the trip, plus it’ll make a lot better story. If you can’t find a friendly fat girl in Lubbock there’s plenty in Kansas, you could rotate them out. Post up the pics when you get back!

Lol!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide