Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Deer down and back up and walked off #7677822 12/02/19 06:32 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
I took my daughter out for her 3rd hunt. We get one mature buck on our lease and I have been letting her shoot it. I had some bucks picked out at a blind that is ideal. Box blind with sandbags for rests. Rut was in high gear. There was a beautiful high rack 8 and a 10 beating the bushes and making scrapes. The 10 even had a whole bush in his antlers at one time. I told the daughter to take a shoulder shot and shoot the 10. Last buck she had shot in the neck but I wanted her to shoot for the shoulder. Buck went down and laid still in the road for at least 10 seconds. It started to kick. Daughter says you want me to shoot it again. I said know the kicking is fairly normal. Well what happened next is not normal. Deer scooted across the road behind some brush and cactus. Unfortunately for the daughter it had a great escape route. Next thing I see it standing with back to us in a clearing. By the time I got the gun up it was gone behind the trees. No blood, no hair, no bone nothing. The only thing we had was the trail until it stood up. It fell right in the road so signs of of hit would have been clear. Buddy thought it was hit in lower fore leg. I said I have tracked some of those and always fined bone or some evidence. I am thinking it was stunned by a brisket hit. My mistake not shooting it when it was down especially with my daughter shooting. I have shot 100+ deer and only once have I had to shoot one twice. Lease buddy questioned my gun. Just days before I neck shot 2 does so it is not the gun. I think the daughter is just hurrying the shot or maybe closing her eye.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677823 12/02/19 06:36 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
what rifle was she shooting?

Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677825 12/02/19 06:41 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
If it went down and stayed still, it wasn't a lower leg shot. Lightly clipped the spine, IMO, which briefly stunned him.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Grosvenor] #7677826 12/02/19 06:42 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S
Remington auto 30-06 with 150 grain Core-loks. it is not the rifle. She has killed 2 bucks and I have shot 10 does and an Axis over the past 2-1/2 seasons.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677836 12/02/19 06:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
She "whiffed" it and then he caught his breath. grin

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677840 12/02/19 06:52 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
That is not unheard of. I have seen it twice. Years ago, my dad shot a doe. walked up to her and poked her with the end of his barrel. Yep, dead. He found the nearest tree to relieve himself of the coffee that he had drank all morning. When he turned back around, she was gone. Found just a faint blood trail that petered out quickly. Never found her.
Last year, had a buddy's kid out pig hunting. Dropped a pig with one shot. Pig kicked a bit under the feeder then lay dead. We sat a while longer hoping to get another pig. After about 30 minutes, that dang pig got up and staggered off. We didn't even notice that he got up until he was almost in the brush. Only found blood where he had laid for 30 minutes. Especially when you are not the one shooting, it is hard to tell what went wrong. Hopefully, that deer will survive the shot and your daughter will get another chance at him.

Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677843 12/02/19 06:54 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Sorry to hear. I have a buddy that had the same thing happen. We now call him "Double Tap"....because once he shoots a deer, if it moves an eyelash, he puts a second round in it immediately.

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 12/02/19 06:55 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677856 12/02/19 07:20 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
I think the daughter is just hurrying the shot or maybe closing her eye.

100% Shot placement. The above like you said, or something is off. A well placed shot would show blood signs, a dead deer close by and/or generally a trail leading to it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677861 12/02/19 07:22 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I've seen more things hit and survive with the Remington Core Lokt than all other rounds combined. I saw one deer get shot square in the shoulder, exactly like you're describing and it survived another 4 years.

In my opinion, with very limited knowledge it's the round. Sounds like your daughter can shoot, and clearly the caliber is plenty for a whitetail. Change up to a Federal, Hornady, or something else that'll group out of your gun.

Good luck.

Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677871 12/02/19 07:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Two years ago I took a buddy to our place to shoot a doe. He shoots a 30-30 sighted in high at 100. His first shot doe fell laid there kicked a big which is normal and then got still. I was stoked we were gonna have a good day we go to get down and deer picks up and hauls azz. Trailed with little to no blood and lost it.

Fast forward to that evening same song and dance, except this time the deer just couldn't quite get up. I finished it and the shot was high creased the top of the back. He shot the gun on paper and said it was 3 inches high after the hunt.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: TKandMike] #7677877 12/02/19 07:28 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TKandMike
I've seen more things hit and survive with the Remington Core Lokt than all other rounds combined. I saw one deer get shot square in the shoulder, exactly like you're describing and it survived another 4 years.

In my opinion, with very limited knowledge it's the round. Sounds like your daughter can shoot, and clearly the caliber is plenty for a whitetail. Change up to a Federal, Hornady, or something else that'll group out of your gun.

Good luck.

Its easy to blame bullets because they don't defend themselves lol, but I know of countless deer killed with the same ammo year in and year out. I shot them for several years till I started loading my own and they never did me wrong.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677921 12/02/19 08:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Shot was high, either in the void right below spine or meat right above. Leg hit wouldn’t put it down to begin with, only a stun or hit to Central Nerve system does it

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: TKandMike] #7677922 12/02/19 08:02 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S

Good luck.

I gave been shooting Core Lokts for 40 years and never had a deer walk away. They shoot best our oc loads I have tried

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677935 12/02/19 08:13 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Good luck.

I gave been shooting Core Lokts for 40 years and never had a deer walk away. They shoot best our oc loads I have tried

I have had the same experience but 3 weeks ago I watched a buddy shoot a doe high behind the shoulder just under the backstrap. She is still alive and you can see the hole on both sides. First time I ever saw that and I couldn't believe it myself. 150 grain 30.06

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7677936 12/02/19 08:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Probably an above the spine hit. There is no “void” below the spine.

http://huntingunderground.com/the-void-myth-explained/

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7677940 12/02/19 08:15 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Shot was high, either in the void right below spine or meat right above. Leg hit wouldn’t put it down to begin with, only a stun or hit to Central Nerve system does it

^^^^^

Agree 100%

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7678250 12/03/19 01:55 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The spine takes quite a dip midway going forward. Above the spine hit most likely.

[Linked Image]

Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7678415 12/03/19 04:45 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Most likely just above the spine, as others have pointed out.

Also, Core-lokts ain’t what they used to be. I’ve killed a pile of deer with them. Won’t touch them, now.

Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7678482 12/03/19 12:39 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I was waiting for it when someone asked what did she shoot it with!
Then came the reply 30.06 so now there are those blaming the ammo!
If it had been a lessor caliber this would already be several pages of bashing, and proof that it's not always the gun or the ammo, but in this case it's pointing toward poor shot placement.
Put that "inferior" Core-lokt bullet where it's supposed to go and it's a happy ending period!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: Stump_jumper] #7678507 12/03/19 01:20 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Good luck.

They don't compare to a Hornady SST. I'm not saying you are, but going cheap on Ammo is the stupidest thing a person can do.
The most important part of the hunt and it's what people skimp on. You pay $1000's for leases, corn, feeders, blinds, etc and then wont spend $30-35 for a good box of ammo.
I would also say she might be flinching because of recoil. Try a .25-06 or something similar. I have a .270, and I hate bench shooting it. I've shot a .30-06 before at pigs and didn't like it at all. It's just something to think about.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: KWood_TSU] #7678548 12/03/19 02:09 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Good luck.

They don't compare to a Hornady SST. I'm not saying you are, but going cheap on Ammo is the stupidest thing a person can do.
The most important part of the hunt and it's what people skimp on. You pay $1000's for leases, corn, feeders, blinds, etc and then wont spend $30-35 for a good box of ammo.
I would also say she might be flinching because of recoil. Try a .25-06 or something similar. I have a .270, and I hate bench shooting it. I've shot a .30-06 before at pigs and didn't like it at all. It's just something to think about.

What makes the SST such a superior hunting bullet? Let me guess is it the pretty red tip?

Ive had my share of pizz poor luck with Hornady interlock bullets, of which a sst is a variant.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: redchevy] #7678582 12/03/19 02:35 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by redchevy

What makes the SST such a superior hunting bullet? Let me guess is it the pretty red tip?

Ive had my share of pizz poor luck with Hornady interlock bullets, of which a sst is a variant.

Nah, it destroys everything I've shot. Almost every deer I lung shoot has jello insides. You put it on a shoulder and it will completely ruin that shoulder.

It's just a superior hunting round for deer over a core lokt type bullet.
I do love a core lokt type bullet for neck shooting pigs though.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: KWood_TSU] #7678687 12/03/19 04:43 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
S

Good luck.

She is just not taking her time or closing her eye. Recoil on the Remington auto is a lot lighter than my bolt actions. That is why I have her shoot it. I have another one with a recoil pad but the scope is not quite as good. As far as the bullets I gave killed well over 100 animals with and the only ones that walked away were my fault. Never have list one.i don't shoot pigs with the big gun my 22 mag does the trick there.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: KWood_TSU] #7678689 12/03/19 04:44 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Nah, it destroys everything I've shot. Almost every deer I lung shoot has jello insides. You put it on a shoulder and it will completely ruin that shoulder.

You know pretty much the only difference in the two is one has a pretty red tip right?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer down and back up and walked off [Re: KWood_TSU] #7678697 12/03/19 04:52 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

As a percentage I've seen more deer lost with an SST than with a Corelokt. Never had a bullet issue with Corelokt (over 200 WT), they just quit grouping for me because Rem QC was bad and ES was in the 150 range.

Last group of Corelokt tested a few weeks ago, 3 shot 100yd group, Rem 788 .243, 100gr. Everything on the gun is tight, it shot ~1MOA with Federal Fusion 95gr after this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide