Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Neighbor Situation #7677712 12/02/19 04:31 PM
L
Leonardo Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I will try to keep this short, but I live in the country on 6 acres next to my MIL"s place that we stand to inherit. She has 240 acres that is L shaped. So the guy who bought the 90 acres in the middle of the L which would make the entire property rectangle has owned it for several years. I purchased the house and 6 acres and he bought the land. I just couldn't afford it at 24 years old. The neighbor struggled to find a decent water well, water is there just extremely hard, to the point of it being unusable. The neighbor finally drilled right on the fence line of mine and my MIL's land, at the minimum distance to be legal off the fence line.

Now he wants an easement for electricity, its not that he can't run it on his own property but the distance is greater and the cost would be significantly more. He has asked my MIL, who defers to me as I handle the property since she is widowed. He also asked to run across my property. My answer is an emphatic "No." Its not that I don't want to be a good neighbor but I am not willing to give the power company an easement across any of our property, especially since we don't need it for ourselves.

Anybody have any advice on navigating this situation? I know I hold the cards but I also know that we are going to need to co-exist out here.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677739 12/02/19 04:51 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Trade the easement for a desirable part of his property.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677746 12/02/19 04:56 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I have an easement across my neighbors lot for an underground electric cable. It broke awhile back. No damage was done to his property.. We also all granted easements to the county when they paved our road. Seems normal to me.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: PKnTX] #7677752 12/02/19 04:58 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by PKnTX
Trade the easement for a desirable part of his property.

Crafty move here.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677753 12/02/19 04:58 PM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Is the only cost effective source of power on an easement thru your property? Don't underestimate the laziness of people to assume the only answer they want is the right answer. The power company might be able to install other access; but not immediately. Don't assume this person is telling the complete truth.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677759 12/02/19 05:01 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How is he now powering the well?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677764 12/02/19 05:03 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
How will the easement affect your property? Power line? Ask him if he'll bear the cost of burying the line. It shouldn't have a major effect on your property. Reverse the rolls and ask yourself how you would want someone to react in the same situation. I would be a good neighbor and let him run power underground. You can configure/restrict the easement any way you want. Unless it detracts from your value I'd let him do it. If he's a prick and crummy neighbor, then adjust accordingly.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677765 12/02/19 05:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
We have been lucky to have great neighbors at our ranch. That said we have had much less than acceptable dealings with the power company. They have cut our fence because their lock was damaged and they couldn't open it. They deny ever being on the property but funny thing we got a brand spanking new meter that nobody has to come out and read the exact same time it happened. They also turned off all the breakers when they pulled the meter and LEFT THEM OFF. All the stuff in our fridge/freezers was nasty rancid as all get out after a month in the south texas sun and to boot one of our fridges wouldn't work anymore after it.

This last go round they cut their own lock to get in, but instead of replacing their lock they zip tied the chain back bang To quote my daddy... I wouldn't piss on AEP if they were on fire.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677766 12/02/19 05:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Usage easements in residential areas and transmission easements across rural tracts are two totally different things.

I had the same request from my rural neighbor on my place. My thinking was this:

1)He didn’t offer to compensate me or buy it, just wanted me to grant it to him;
2) The easements are unsightly and intrusive. Easements always affect property because now you have a new co-owner you must deal with forever; and
3)Same deal-he could get electricity but it would cost him more. As I see that, unfortunate circumstances for him do not create any obligations or responsibilities on me.

I too wanted to be a good neighbor, but saw no upside for me - only burdens. With no offer to ameliorate them on his part. So I said no also.

He sold the property a year later.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677787 12/02/19 05:35 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
sounds like he wants his cake, and to eat it also. Bought a crappy piece of land ,now make everyone accommodate you. Im sure he has his eyeys on the old lady, take care of her.

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7677794 12/02/19 05:38 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Usage easements in residential areas and transmission easements across rural tracts are two totally different things.

I had the same request from my rural neighbor on my place. My thinking was this:

1)He didn’t offer to compensate me or buy it, just wanted me to grant it to him;
2) The easements are unsightly and intrusive. Easements always affect property because now you have a new co-owner you must deal with forever; and
3)Same deal-he could get electricity but it would cost him more. As I see that, unfortunate circumstances for him do not create any obligations or responsibilities on me.

I too wanted to be a good neighbor, but saw no upside for me - only burdens. With no offer to ameliorate them on his part. So I said no also.

Np pretty much summed it up

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677832 12/02/19 06:47 PM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
It is forever on your dirt. If its only money, let the neighbor pay for the long way around. You've got to ask him.....what's in it for me?. Again, he gets power, you get power poles!!

Papalote

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677841 12/02/19 06:53 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
If you use the 240 acres for livestock and need water, maybe trade him the easement for rights in perpetuity to his new well, and he foots the electric bill?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677873 12/02/19 07:27 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Why can't he put up a windmill. There was one on my lot to feed the pond years ago.

[Linked Image]

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677880 12/02/19 07:30 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Do you have first right of refusal on his property? If you really want that 90 acres down the road, maybe you could put that into an agreement for the easement.

I'm also confused about where you live. Do you live in a house on his 90 acres? That might get interesting if things go south between you and the 90 acre guy.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: bill oxner] #7677889 12/02/19 07:37 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by bill oxner
How is he now powering the well?

Currently using a generator when he needs water. They are just now building a home. Framing started today.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Gary Olson] #7677890 12/02/19 07:38 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Gary Olson
Is the only cost effective source of power on an easement thru your property? Don't underestimate the laziness of people to assume the only answer they want is the right answer. The power company might be able to install other access; but not immediately. Don't assume this person is telling the complete truth.

He can use his property, just easier to use mine.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: jetdad] #7677895 12/02/19 07:42 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by jetdad
How will the easement affect your property? Power line? Ask him if he'll bear the cost of burying the line. It shouldn't have a major effect on your property. Reverse the rolls and ask yourself how you would want someone to react in the same situation. I would be a good neighbor and let him run power underground. You can configure/restrict the easement any way you want. Unless it detracts from your value I'd let him do it. If he's a prick and crummy neighbor, then adjust accordingly.

I have offered to give him, as an individual, an easement for a buried line 4ft underground. He said that won't work. My issue is giving the easement to the power company, I don't have the pockets to get into a pissing contest with Oncore.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7677900 12/02/19 07:44 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

Thank you. My thoughts and sentiment as well.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: gtrich94] #7677903 12/02/19 07:48 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Do you have first right of refusal on his property? If you really want that 90 acres down the road, maybe you could put that into an agreement for the easement.

I'm also confused about where you live. Do you live in a house on his 90 acres? That might get interesting if things go south between you and the 90 acre guy.

So I would be a buyer for the 90 acres but not with the house being built on it.

My 6 acres is cut out of his tract but borders my MIL's place. My house and his acreage was one tract. I bought the houses out of the estate and he bought the land.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677904 12/02/19 07:48 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Originally Posted by jetdad

I have offered to give him, as an individual, an easement for a buried line 4ft underground. He said that won't work. My issue is giving the easement to the power company, I don't have the pockets to get into a pissing contest with Oncore.

You made a reasonable offer that most wouldn't have made, he said no, tell him to kick rocks.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7677969 12/02/19 08:37 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
They are just now building a home. Framing started today.

Kind of have to wonder... who starts building a house without a definite plan for electricity?

I don't understand why the 4ft buried easement won't suffice? I'm all about being neighborly, but I think he has assumed you will simply let him do what he wants to do, which is piss poor judgement. I think you've made a reasonable offer.

That said, if ya'll can't come to an agreement and he spends the extra coin, you'll probably never be able to buy the property, purely out of spite.

Charlie

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: CharlieCTx] #7678006 12/02/19 09:14 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
They are just now building a home. Framing started today.

Kind of have to wonder... who starts building a house without a definite plan for electricity?

I don't understand why the 4ft buried easement won't suffice? I'm all about being neighborly, but I think he has assumed you will simply let him do what he wants to do, which is piss poor judgement. I think you've made a reasonable offer.

That said, if ya'll can't come to an agreement and he spends the extra coin, you'll probably never be able to buy the property, purely out of spite.

Charlie

Or you will pay for the added cost of the electric he put into it.

Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7678009 12/02/19 09:22 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Being a good neighbor is important to you, but probably not to him.
If he is building a house. He has had a plan for power that did not hinge on an easement.

Be a good neighbor, tell how much you would like to help him, but no.

I would not want the poles, constuction or liabilities.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Neighbor Situation [Re: Leonardo] #7678017 12/02/19 09:40 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You gave him a solution and he refused... Sorry for him confused2

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread