Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,128
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7670444 11/23/19 02:27 PM
M
mudd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
These threads make me sit back and laugh

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7670493 11/23/19 03:33 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
While it seems common for people here to tout the tight groups they've been getting with a given brand and load of rifle ammo, a recent discussion concerning 6.5 Creedmoor ammo brings to mind how accuracy is only part of the harvest success equation. While many were touting the tight groups produced by a certain 140 grain bullet, it was one of our more noted ammo experts who suggested going with a 130 grain bullet instead. He made the suggestion after comments were made about "ice picking" being reported with the heavier bullet, meaning the bullet has a reported history of passing through the animal without sufficient expansion for creating more massive tissue and organ damage. As he described it, a lighter bullet traveling with greater velocity can lend itself to greater expansion.

While photos of tight groups might offer an opportunity to show great results when punching holes in paper, knowing what a given bullet is going to do when passing through the animal should never be overlooked.

Comments?

Certainly, bullet performance once it strikes an animal target, is the most important thing when selecting ammo. For me, I like to build my rounds with 2 things in mind: Accuracy and bullet performance. I go for accuracy first because of the confidence it gives me when I squeeze the trigger. I like knowing that I can choose to shoot a deer or a hog in the head, neck, earhole, eye socket or bread basket, depending upon the situation/condition/range I'm dealing with at the time of taking the shot. When trying a new bullet, I'll always do an autopsy (Epstein didn't kill himself, BTW, even though I didn't do the autopsy on him) to discover for myself just what kind of damage/wound channel the bullet has created. If it appears that the bullet performs well, I'll then work for however long it takes to develop the right combination of powder, primer, and COL that gives me the nice, tight little groups that I'm looking for (sub-MOA with 5 shots at 100 yards). I've had a few bullets that performed well in animal targets but would never give me that accuracy in a particular rifle, so I would use them for getting in a bit of trigger time, but not for game hunting.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7670873 11/24/19 03:18 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I don't know, apparently even the 28 nosler can "icepick" with the wrong bullet and twist rate. Nobody anywhere is saying it is not enough gun for anything. I would bet that any standard cup and core bullet will give adequate expansion in the 6.5 creedmoor out as far as you'd take an ethical shot. But I do love to read the comments...

Last edited by laid over; 11/24/19 03:18 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: 10 Gauge] #7670984 11/24/19 01:06 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
When it comes to hunting only two things really matter, shot placement and the terminal performance of your bullet. Assuming your rifle/ammo will shoot a "reasonable" group, say 2" or less you can get the job done at "normal" hunting ranges of 200yds or less. While we all like to see those 1/2" groups, I'll take a good performing hunting bullet that shoots 1.5" over a 1/2" one that doesn't give good terminal performance any day. For hogs and deer, as mentioned earlier, you don't need "premium" bullets, any of the following reasonably priced bullets will perform well on deer/hogs if the shot is properly placed.

Hornady Interlock or SST
Speer HOT-CORE
Federal Fusion
Sierra Gameking or Pro Hunter
Remington CORE-LOKT

I don't like anything under 110gr and 6.5cal for deer/hogs, but that's just my personal opinion.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671018 11/24/19 02:05 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I’m gonna start doing all my hunting with xm193 ammos

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Wilson Combat] #7671226 11/24/19 07:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
When it comes to hunting only two things really matter, shot placement and the terminal performance of your bullet. Assuming your rifle/ammo will shoot a "reasonable" group, say 2" or less you can get the job done at "normal" hunting ranges of 200yds or less. While we all like to see those 1/2" groups, I'll take a good performing hunting bullet that shoots 1.5" over a 1/2" one that doesn't give good terminal performance any day. For hogs and deer, as mentioned earlier, you don't need "premium" bullets, any of the following reasonably priced bullets will perform well on deer/hogs if the shot is properly placed.

Hornady Interlock or SST
Speer HOT-CORE
Federal Fusion
Remington CORE-LOKT

I don't like anything under 110gr and 6.5cal for deer/hogs, but that's just my personal opinion.

I've yet to find a Federal Fusion load that doesn't shoot well in anything I own. IMO, it offers the best value of anything on the market.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/24/19 07:13 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671231 11/24/19 07:18 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister

Hornady Interlock or SST
Speer HOT-CORE
Federal Fusion
Remington CORE-LOKT

I've yet to find a Federal Fusion load that doesn't shoot well in anything I own. IMO, it offers the best value of anything on the market.

The following calibers seem to shoot OK in our bbls, normally 1.5" or less:

6.5CM
6.8 SPC
.308 Win
.338 Fed

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671280 11/24/19 08:42 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Hornady Interlock or SST
Speer HOT-CORE
Federal Fusion
Remington CORE-LOKT

I found one. My Remington 700 ADL .270 would barely keep Fusion ammo inside a paper plate at 100. I got a box of the Federal blue box and the next three rounds were well under 1". I can't explain it, but that rifle absolutely hates Fusion.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Grizz] #7671639 11/25/19 06:34 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I have not had good luck with fusion either. So I just dont mess with it. I think it is the coating, some barrels don't agree with it.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671720 11/25/19 01:25 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I never shoot groups anymore, unless I'm assessing some new ammo. I find that it's more productive to focus on making every shot hit where I want it to, not making all 5 shots hit in the same place. So.... I do dot drills. 5 shots = 5 one shot groups. I use little 3/4" black dots.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7671736 11/25/19 01:46 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
I’m gonna start doing all my hunting with xm193 ammos

Lots of people do......This will improve your tracking skills.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Crews] #7671816 11/25/19 03:12 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Crews
I never shoot groups anymore, unless I'm assessing some new ammo. I find that it's more productive to focus on making every shot hit where I want it to, not making all 5 shots hit in the same place. So.... I do dot drills. 5 shots = 5 one shot groups. I use little 3/4" black dots.

I do that with arrows. Helps save the fletchings from ripping off.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Crews] #7671842 11/25/19 03:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Never thought about it but I do the same thing once the holes start piling up on a target. When it becomes difficult to know where I hit the paper last, I'll just start aiming for other points on the target paper away from the center. You get a lot more miles out of a target that way.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671893 11/25/19 04:36 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Never thought about it but I do the same thing once the holes start piling up on a target. When it becomes difficult to know where I hit the paper last, I'll just start aiming for other points on the target paper away from the center. You get a lot more miles out of a target that way.

You definitely get distracted focusing on the group, how many times have you piled in 2 or 3 on top of each other then shanked that last one? Aside from that, I'm more focused on the training aspect and getting the most out of my range time. How many times do you shoot for groups in a practical application? I think it's much more realistic to focus on putting that one shot right where it needs to be the first time. So lots of small dots all over the paper. If you're queer for group sizes, measure from center of dot to poi and average them all.

This forces me to focus on how I'm driving the rifle and getting more consistent with it. It's all about training yourself to get into a natural point of aim without too much thought. Trigger press, follow through, and recoil management the same every time, therefore your POI is the same every time for your 1 shot groups.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671899 11/25/19 04:49 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
To me I don't see the difference in shooting dots or a group.

You still want the bullet to go where you want.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7671978 11/25/19 06:19 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Adjust your scope so bullets hit 1-2” high, you never lose your aim point.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7672729 11/26/19 12:12 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Dot drill example. As evidenced below, I have much work to do.

[Linked Image]

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7673546 11/27/19 03:46 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I’m a big fan of tight groups. peep

[Linked Image]

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Crews] #7673746 11/27/19 01:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

[Linked Image]

Now that's a tip and photo worth sharing, at least for those who actually enjoy shooting their rifle.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7677475 12/02/19 12:03 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Now that's a tip and photo worth sharing, at least for those who actually enjoy shooting their rifle.

Thanks, glad you see the value. The goal is to set up for the shot and manage recoil the same way, every time. This method is a much better indicator and training tool for how well you're doing that. On this particular day, I averaged from center of dot to POI on each of them and came up with 0.75 MOA. That's pretty dang good for 15x 1-shot groups. But I'm really focusing on those 3 or 4 dots where my POI was 1 moa high. That could very well be a clean miss on a cold bore shot at 600 yards.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7677553 12/02/19 02:34 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I"ve been using the same approach for years. I went to the Targetz site, downloaded the grid page, asked Targetz if the modification I wanted to do was OK with them, and then cranked out a few copies as needed. I still tend to be a "groupie" during initial load development, but once I have what I think is a good load, I switch to the dot system to make sure that I am doing all the fire control things correctly, like flinching, blinking, jerking the trigger and the other things I tend to do quite frequently.

[Linked Image]

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Adchunts] #7677706 12/02/19 04:23 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Dunno. Haven’t experienced the “ice picking” issue with any of the 6 critters taken with 6.5 CM and 143 grain ELD-X. Will update if/when it ever happens. And both rifles shoot way under MOA.

The only issue I've had with the ELD-X is that it expands so rapidly you don't always get a pass through (I know some people say the perfect bullet embeds in the skin on the opposite side). But when I'm taking newcomers I like the chance at having 2 options for blood trails. Other than for that specific scenario I love the ELD-X's.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Crews] #7677715 12/02/19 04:34 PM
G
Gary Olson Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G

[Linked Image]

I run the same drill with 5 targets in a + style setup or 3x3 square. Targets are $0.25 each, cheaper than ammo.
As I track my shots from right to left or down to up, I will hit a twinge in my shoulders or back. And the shot is off.
I prefer to shoot straight and too my left which is borne out by my bad shot placement on the right side of the target field.
Good to know what idiosyncrasies in your physiology will affect shot placement.

Re: Don't let those tight groups on paper overwhelm you [Re: Texas Dan] #7677754 12/02/19 04:59 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m gonna try that next time I go out. Thanks for posting that up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide