Print Thread
Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? #7676328 11/30/19 08:48 PM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Anyone have any ideas on how to get hogs to come out during daylight hours ??? I have killed the only 2 that I have seen in daylight but have hundreds of pics of them at night. I would like to shoot a few more to put in the freezer for meat. Any advice on how to get them to come out would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
J

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676340 11/30/19 09:07 PM
B
Bar-D Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
B
IMO, it's mostly luck. Feral hogs are pretty well nocturnal by nature and although I see and have killed hogs around my ranch in the daytime hours, 99% of their activity is at night. Repeatedly baiting could work but who knows?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676350 11/30/19 09:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't know that 99% of their activity is at night, but 99% of their seen activity may be. During the day, they will stay where there is cover, but they certainly may be quite active back in the woods where nobody else is.

HOWEVER, this time of year is when all the deer hunters come out of the woodwork, right. Any daylight freedom hogs may have had is gone due to deer hunters who are willing to shoot hogs. They are likely to be more nocturnal now than ever because they have so much more daylight pressure.

If you have pics of them at night, I really suggest you hunt them at night. Put lights on your feeder or go with some night vision/thermal. You can put rechargeable solar lights on your feeder pretty cheaply and they will be used to them inside of a week or two.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676371 11/30/19 09:39 PM
B
Booner1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
My land owner absolutely forbids night hunting of any kind, I have a feeder that they hit usually every other night if not every night. I am hunting in a area that has very little hunting pressure and I am in a pretty wooded forest area. I actually killed a very large hog at 9:30 in the morning after shooting a doe at 8:30 the same morning. Just wondering if there was a magic trick to getting them out. I had a small sounder of about 10(sow with her young) coming out in daytime a lot until they showed up and I killed one of the 40 ponders with my bow. They haven't been out in daylight again on my cameras. I do have a few that will come out when there is still a little shooting time left but I haven't been there when they do. Being a working man, I only get to hunt on the weekends unless it is a holiday or something. I may try what I have done before and dig a deep hole with a post hole digger and dump a bag of corn in it and fill it with water. They will stay and dig and dig until they get it all, it has kept them coming back day after day, or night after night as the case may be.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7676408 11/30/19 10:43 PM
B
Bar-D Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I don't know that 99% of their activity is at night, but 99% of their seen activity may be. During the day, they will stay where there is cover, but they certainly may be quite active back in the woods where nobody else is.

HOWEVER, this time of year is when all the deer hunters come out of the woodwork, right. Any daylight freedom hogs may have had is gone due to deer hunters who are willing to shoot hogs. They are likely to be more nocturnal now than ever because they have so much more daylight pressure.

If you have pics of them at night, I really suggest you hunt them at night. Put lights on your feeder or go with some night vision/thermal. You can put rechargeable solar lights on your feeder pretty cheaply and they will be used to them inside of a week or two.

You're right DNS. I did not word my reply well but that's what I was getting at. Around here they are more likely to be seen in open areas/non bedding areas during night time hours. I will occasionally see daytime hogs, usually early in the morning or late evening but have seen them during the heat of the day, usually around one of my tanks. I have walked up on bedded hogs during the daytime while out checking fence and it is amazing how seemingly little cover they need to disappear. Another reason I carry a sidearm while out in the pasture.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676423 11/30/19 11:11 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
We see hogs during the daylight nearly every time we go to the lease. We do have a lot of plowed fields that are being prepared for wheat. Game camera's show a lot of night time activity at the feeder also. I much prefer to kill them during the daylight hrs. Lot easier to find.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676472 12/01/19 12:18 AM
F
Flatcreek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Find their bedding area & still hunt them. Get the wind right and be verrry quiet.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676520 12/01/19 01:32 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
If you are into hog hunting February is a great month. Deer season is over, and the food is not as easy to find. It is a great time to hunt over a feeder. Hunting can stay good until the Spring growth arrives. Hogs are always hit/miss, compared to deer. It also helps to have more that one stand/feeder. Once they are shot at, they may be scared off for awhile. Not always.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Flatcreek] #7676885 12/01/19 04:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Flatcreek
Find their bedding area & still hunt them. Get the wind right and be verrry quiet.

I see this as right-thinking.

As hunters, many of us tend to be limited in our hunts by line of sight, geography, property lines, permissions, and timing. As such, many passively hunt, waiting on hogs to come to them, to their hunting area on their hunting time. It can be frustrating when that doesn't happen. So if the hogs aren't where you are, then you need to be where the hogs are. That means going out and actually finding them. Of course, this isn't as easy as it sounds, again because of restrictions and the fact that hogs can be almost anywhere.

If you don't go to where they are, then you need to be present when they come to where you hunt, which may be changing your shooting time and gear.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7676917 12/01/19 06:01 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Have you tried hunting them during the middle of the day or late morning after most deer hunters have left the stands?
Many times on our March hog hunts we sleep in and start hunting mid morning.
Hunting their bedding areas is also a good idea, you find them by the smell if you work the wind right.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7683553 12/08/19 07:56 PM
drycreek3189 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Kill them by day, they run at night. Kill them at night, at least some will start showing in daylight. That’s been my experience anyway.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7683712 12/08/19 11:28 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Get an electronic caller like a Convergent to pull ‘me out in the day.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Wytex] #7683724 12/08/19 11:41 PM
T
timbertoes Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Shot one sleeping once. Was like, 5 feet away LOL! Not lying this time.

Forum says "Veteran Tracker". I could not track a garbage truck into a fireworks factory.
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7684163 12/09/19 03:28 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

Hogs definitely have a sense for hunting pressure. Acquired a piece of property last year. The first few trips were amazing. Saw hogs come consistently early morning and late evening. Previous owners claim the property had never been hunted - it was in their family since the late 1800s. Hogs seemed to be real comfortable being out in the open.

Hogs on the property became more and more nocturnal after getting shot at during daylight hours. Within the first 6 months, the day time sightings went down significantly. When I do see them during daylight hours - they are now real skittish and tend to stay out of open areas.

That said... seeing them during daylight is mostly luck on my property now. Maybe once a month I'll see a hog show up during the late evening on the game cam. Most sightings happen after daylight hours.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7687908 12/13/19 04:57 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Booner1
Anyone have any ideas on how to get hogs to come out during daylight hours ??? J
Yep. You have to hunt where they are during the day. They are moving during the day, just need to know where that is. I shot a couple with my bow couple weeks ago around 9:30 in the morning.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7687926 12/13/19 05:18 PM
N
NOCOOLNAMETOO Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
We always had the best luck on cold freezing rain crappy weather days on old lease in Putnam.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: sqiggy] #7687939 12/13/19 05:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by sqiggy
Anyone have any ideas on how to get hogs to come out during daylight hours ??? J
Yep. You have to hunt where they are during the day. They are moving during the day, just need to know where that is. I shot a couple with my bow couple weeks ago around 9:30 in the morning.

And therein lies the problem. Hunters commonly want the game to be where the hunters are and not the other way around. It isn't that hunters are necessarily selfish, but simply may not have vast areas to roam to find the hogs and hence need the hogs to come to them.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7688542 12/14/19 12:08 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You really haven't experienced an adrenaline rush until you're walking to the house after dark and wind with a mess of hogs erupting all around you like a covey of quail.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Booner1] #7688612 12/14/19 02:00 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Buddy & I went to my lease Yesterday and after 2 days of helo hunting on the lease last Friday & Sat (5th & 6th) hogs were in the fields in bright sunlight. I just wish that the wind had been right but they heard us on the sxs 400 yds out.

Re: Getting hogs out in daylight hours ?? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7688717 12/14/19 04:10 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by sqiggy

And therein lies the problem. Hunters commonly want the game to be where the hunters are and not the other way around. It isn't that hunters are necessarily selfish, but simply may not have vast areas to roam to find the hogs and hence need the hogs to come to them.
Funny thing about that hunt, I wasn't wanting to find hogs. I was set up hunting my target buck. This part of the property shouldn't have hogs, but yet, here they are. Pretty sure they were headed to bed, being they were in timber, headed to a cut over just out in front of me which is SUPER thick. When they walked up to the base of my tree, I just couldn't help myself but shoot!!!
grin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide