Print Thread
Beware of Kayote Outfitters #7676122 11/30/19 03:19 PM
S
Steven Digges Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
We purchased a hunt from CCA banquet. I scheduled my hunt with Kayote in August. For the day after Thanksgiving. Getting information from him was like pulling teeth. Every time I asked questions, the only response I received was "where did you get your hunt from. I have the sequence of text messages to prove it. I also asked about what other animals he had to hunt because I wanted to make it worth his time because I knew that the hunt was donated. I was told that I could shoot axis for $2000.00. A month before the hunt, I kept asking for information about where to stay, where we would be hunting, and what did I need to bring. I was told that most people stay in South Padre. Do not stay in South Padre, because where we ended up hunting, there was a nice motel about five minutes from where we hunted. South Padre was an hour drive. We were told to bring a gun and snake boots and that was it. Thanksgiving night we stopped to get something to eat just outside of South Padre and I texted Kayote to ask for more details. I was nervous because it took him a while to answer. He texted back and told me we could hunt that night. As I said before, we brought a gun and snake boots, so I figured we would be hunting by spotlight because we were not told when we would be hunting. So at 10 that night I received a call from a guide and he told us to meet them in Los Fresnos. We meet them there and they were upset because we did not bring the correct gear. We had an hour discussion and they were not surprised about Kayote's lack of communication. They told us that they would rent us their equipment and we would have to pay a gate fee and I had to pay a spectator fee because my employee was going to be shooting.This was information that I was not told of ahead of time, so one could imagine my surprise. At this point, I did not care because we had been in the truck for 5 hours driving down to South Padre and I was ready to get the hunt over with. After everyone calmed down, we had a great hunt and took down a Nilgai. My best advice is to not use Kayote, but I would call Fedencio and Tony directly and not use Kayote. You can IM me on this board and I will give you their contact information.

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7676147 11/30/19 04:00 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It's a shame you had to go through.
Thanks for the warning up

welcome

[Linked Image]
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7676150 11/30/19 04:08 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I’ve never heard of gate fees or spectator fees.

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7676211 11/30/19 05:25 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Bummer on the ordeal with Kayote Outfitters glad you ended up with a good hunt up

Heck of a first post and welcome to the madness. welcome

texas flag

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7676257 11/30/19 06:20 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
There have been some negative posts on Kayote in several face book groups. I don’t think your the first person to have this problem. At least yours ultimately worked out.

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Sneaky] #7676258 11/30/19 06:21 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I’ve never heard of gate fees or spectator fees.

King Ranch charged a spectator fee when I hunted there.

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7676263 11/30/19 06:28 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
What is a gate fee or was that some stuff they made up just to take your money?

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7677594 12/02/19 03:03 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I hate hearing about hunts like this. Ruins the experience for all involved

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: TKandMike] #7678324 12/03/19 03:00 AM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I’d call Fidencio anytime for a hunt. He bailed me and my son out of the same exact situation with that crook Kayote.
My son is active army and “won” the hunt for service members and I paid but if it wasn’t for Fidencio it would have been a total disaster.

I went as far as ask for my money back, he gave me 1/3 with promises about the rest and excuses like he has cancer and his house is foreclosed etc.
Not my fault vato.

He gonna get caught one day by some folks who aren’t as forgiving I betcha

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7678329 12/03/19 03:05 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I’d take it up with CCA and let them know they are auctioning scam hunting packages.

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7678359 12/03/19 03:23 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Very sorry you had this experience. I no longer bid on anything at a charity event unless I can walk out with it. The chance is just too high, especially with a hunt, that something will be hinky. If it wasn't for the integrity of the guide (PH), I would have had an even worse experience than you did my first time in...Zimbabwe! Also a CCA auction hunt, many moons ago.

Even the best outfits can be pressured by big organizations to donate a hunt, and that can't help but make some outfitters less than ecstatic toward the client/successful bidder. It's just not the same as buying a hunt from the outfitter.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7678513 12/03/19 01:26 PM
T
T.Med Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Sorry that you had little info about your hunt. We (Fidencio and I)got a phonecall at about 8pm by koyote. He said that he had two hunters in town and asked if we could hunt them. (We do not work for koyote, he contracts us to guide clients). Fidencio told him the normal price that is set for the hunts, koyote agreed!! Koyote knows we do not use spotlights, we only use thermal and nightvision. 90% of the time my weapons and ammo are used if the client does not have any. I go through the optics and rifle till I feel the client is feeling comfortable, then we hunt. I take pride in my work. I've hunted a lot of first timers, especially for nilgai. I hunt hard and am very determined to make sure my client has a successful hunt. But I can only speak for myself and sometimes Fidencio. As far as koyote goes, that's a different animal. Being that I am sent clients that, " he" has booked, I hear the horror stories about how hard it is to contact him or just the lack of information he provides. Either way, I still try and make the best of their situation. And usually, not always this is hunting, my client goes home with an animal!!
Again we are sorry you had to deal with this, but glad we could make things better!!!
Tony Medina..

Last edited by T.Med; 12/03/19 01:28 PM.
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: T.Med] #7678541 12/03/19 02:04 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by T.Med
Sorry that you had little info about your hunt. We (Fidencio and I)got a phonecall at about 8pm by koyote. He said that he had two hunters in town and asked if we could hunt them. (We do not work for koyote, he contracts us to guide clients). Fidencio told him the normal price that is set for the hunts, koyote agreed!! Koyote knows we do not use spotlights, we only use thermal and nightvision. 90% of the time my weapons and ammo are used if the client does not have any. I go through the optics and rifle till I feel the client is feeling comfortable, then we hunt. I take pride in my work. I've hunted a lot of first timers, especially for nilgai. I hunt hard and am very determined to make sure my client has a successful hunt. But I can only speak for myself and sometimes Fidencio. As far as koyote goes, that's a different animal. Being that I am sent clients that, " he" has booked, I hear the horror stories about how hard it is to contact him or just the lack of information he provides. Either way, I still try and make the best of their situation. And usually, not always this is hunting, my client goes home with an animal!!
Again we are sorry you had to deal with this, but glad we could make things better!!!
Tony Medina..

welcome Classy response. 'Nice to see a man in the hunting industry with his act together.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Creekrunner] #7678557 12/03/19 02:15 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Tony Medina..

welcome Classy response. 'Nice to see a man in the hunting industry with his act together.

Second that!

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Creekrunner] #7678630 12/03/19 03:21 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Tony Medina..

welcome to the forum

[Linked Image]
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7678809 12/03/19 06:30 PM
T
Texastaxi Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I can verify the sketchiness, of Kayote ... as the EXACT scenario happened to me ... right down to hunting with Tony and Fedencio.

I drove in from Houston, and the only time I saw Kayote was when he came to collect my balance, on the hunt. He had even forgotten what hunt he sold me, the price of that hunt, and how much I still owed him. My group thought we were hunting for two DAYS, but it ended up being two NIGHTS. Tony didn't know he was guiding us until a few minutes before he called me to get it set up. It started off very rocky, mainly due to Kayote's disorganization.

In the end, we covered a LOT of ground, and came out 3 for 3 on nilgai bulls. Tony is one of the best guides that I've ever hunted with, and he KNOWS nilgai. Tony and Fedencio are top notch men. I'd be happy to hunt with them again, any day!

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: T.Med] #7678893 12/03/19 08:17 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Tony Medina..

Tony can people book directly with you for hunts? and welcome welcome

texas flag

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Stub] #7678901 12/03/19 08:24 PM
T
T.Med Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Yes they can 9562022521
Check out my Instagram T_med_

Last edited by T.Med; 12/03/19 08:26 PM.
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7679321 12/04/19 05:43 AM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I didn’t get to meet tony but if he’s half as good as fedencio he’s a solid dude

Me and my son was talking about it today how he screwed us over. The dude he had guide us the first night had never been on this property we went too and wasn’t even sure where we were at I’m fairly certain.
When we told fedencio where we had been he called that “cartel land”
Guess that explained the stand I got put In with a dish and flat screen and full bar!
Good thing Kayote didn’t get us killed!

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7679325 12/04/19 06:00 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Think I figured out how he got his name lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: Steven Digges] #7679535 12/04/19 03:02 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Kayote Barrera sent me a friend request on FB after I commented on a FB post about Niglai hunting a little while ago. Then he sent another from another Kayote Barrera, and then another. I think I got a total of 5 different friend requests from 5 different accounts, all for the same guy.

For me, that was a huge red flag that told me it was too risky to deal with him.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but thankful for you posting about what happened.

Re: Beware of Kayote Outfitters [Re: EddieWalker] #7679672 12/04/19 05:10 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Kayote Barrera sent me a friend request on FB after I commented on a FB post about Niglai hunting a little while ago. Then he sent another from another Kayote Barrera, and then another. I think I got a total of 5 different friend requests from 5 different accounts, all for the same guy.

For me, that was a huge red flag that told me it was too risky to deal with him.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but thankful for you posting about what happened.

that makes me want to do the same just to mess with him

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide