Print Thread
Mature buck close to home.....surprised me. #7674910 11/28/19 07:07 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Hah.....I just got back from checking my game cameras (mid-day) and saw one of the better bucks I've seen (either in person or on camera) not 50 yds. from my shop.

I drove through the gate into the pasture nearest my home. My shop is about 75 yds. away from the house and there is a narrow neck of pasture fenced off that ends at the FM road there. So our home and shop are sort of in the corner of our property and maybe 300' from the FM Rd.

As I drove through the gate...the buck stood up from where he had been bedded next to the fence-line that separates our property from my neighbors. That fence-line is somewhat overgrown with saplings and privet-hedge. The buck and I looked at each other for just a moment before he jumped the fence and ran for about 300 yds. through the neighbors pasture before slowing down.

Had I seen this buck while on stand....I definitely would have shot it. The place he bedded down is a spot so close to my house and the highway that it would never be hunted or disturbed in any way except when I drive through that area.

The neighbors run a few head of cattle on their place but don't hunt it. I noticed 3 Does bedded down in the pasture last night when I let our two Dachshunds out in the yard to do their business. I usually shine a spot light across that area to see if there are any hogs tearing things up...so the buck might have two reasons to be there.

Never seen one there before although I've had them jump up from next to an old barn (not used anymore) that is about 1/4 mile from the house.

You just never know where they will seek refuge when hunting pressure increases.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Mature buck close to home.....surprised me. [Re: flintknapper] #7674929 11/28/19 07:36 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Yep. They hole up in unusual places to avoid pressure.

Re: Mature buck close to home.....surprised me. [Re: flintknapper] #7674953 11/28/19 08:19 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This was just so close to my home and right in the middle of the day...that I found it surprising. I have deer in that pasture all times of the night and occasionally see some in the daytime...but generally they are on the part of my property at least a 1/2 mile from the house.

But as far as a 'safe place' to hang out...that buck sure picked a good spot. It would never occur to me to look for a deer (buck or doe) where this one was.

Re: Mature buck close to home.....surprised me. [Re: flintknapper] #7675173 11/29/19 01:07 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A few years agio we had one in a patch of cedars by the front gate, he would bolt to the fence line every time we pulled up to the gate. He lost, I got out and went to the fence line and our son drove on to the gate. When he showed, he met the power of 270.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Mature buck close to home.....surprised me. [Re: dogcatcher] #7675288 11/29/19 03:33 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
A few years agio we had one in a patch of cedars by the front gate, he would bolt to the fence line every time we pulled up to the gate. He lost, I got out and went to the fence line and our son drove on to the gate. When he showed, he met the power of 270.

Good move.

I know its not ground breaking news (and certainly no epiphany for me) that smart, old bucks will seek out areas of low hunting pressure to bed down in. And that it sometimes includes spots amazingly close to human activity.

It's just that this buck was bedded so close to my shop (which I am in daily) and so close to the FM road (with fairly steady traffic). Bedded in nothing more than some grown up fence line. The pasture in that area isn't bald by any means...but its pretty short right now. You'd be able to spot a rabbit in it. Yet the buck must have felt secure enough to use it.

Not really sure why he stood up in the first place. I would have never spotted him if he had stayed put. But once we made eye contact...he put it in high gear. Jumped the fence and didn't slow down until he'd put 300 yds. between us. Looked to be a nice 10 point. I didn't have very long to look at him up close...but he was plenty tall and wide. I'd like to at least see him on a game cam. This is first time I've seen this buck.

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/29/19 03:34 AM.

Re: Mature buck close to home.....surprised me. [Re: flintknapper] #7675359 11/29/19 05:11 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I used the restroom at 4 am the other night camp and listened to two bucks fighting the whole time less than 100 yards from me. Most stands are 1/2 mile away or more. Pretty cool.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide