Print Thread
What color lights? #7671758 11/25/19 02:23 PM
B
BigPig Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Needing to add some red or green or blue lights to my SxS for driving at light while scanning for pigs. Only need them to shine maybe 20-30 feet in front as we drive slow anyways. What’s less likely to spook pigs?

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7671862 11/25/19 04:05 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I've always liked red at night. It's bright enough to see yet dark enough to keep your eyes in night mode. My buddy loves his bright LED lights on his SxS, but when we park to set up to call, I think it takes 5 minutes for my eyes to adjust back.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: What color lights? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7671997 11/25/19 06:34 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I've always liked red at night. It's bright enough to see yet dark enough to keep your eyes in night mode. My buddy loves his bright LED lights on his SxS, but when we park to set up to call, I think it takes 5 minutes for my eyes to adjust back.

Yep, if the goal is to have just enough light to navigate AND also preserve your night vision (rhodopsin)...then red will be best.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7672405 11/26/19 12:43 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Definitely not blue, I read that's one of the colors they see best.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: What color lights? [Re: CharlieCTx] #7672491 11/26/19 01:53 AM
B
BigPig Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Definitely not blue, I read that's one of the colors they see best.

Charlie

Had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: What color lights? [Re: flintknapper] #7672493 11/26/19 01:57 AM
B
BigPig Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

Yep, if the goal is to have just enough light to navigate AND also preserve your night vision (rhodopsin)...then red will be best.

The goal is to be able to see well enough to drive, and not spook them pigs with white lights. We put in a lot of work this past weekend only to come up empty handed. We were driving with the thermal but found ourselves in a few sticky situations due to not running headlights and no moon.

Red light hurts my eyes but I can deal with it if that’s the best color for not spooking game

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7672539 11/26/19 02:42 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
"Animals with only 1 cone in their eyes see only black and white. As you can see, pigs fall in the middle. This means that while they are not colorblind, they struggle to see certain color wavelengths. Hogs can detect the color blue but struggle with colors on the green and red spectrum."

If you've got a thermal monocular, it does take some getting used to, but it's very doable. I've been using mine for several years now to run around the lease at night with no headlights. Being very familiar with where I'm going certainly helps, though holes and small tree branches can make things exciting at times. I have a NV monocular as well I started with, but being able to drive and scan at the same time keeps it in the bag.

Charlie

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: What color lights? [Re: CharlieCTx] #7672618 11/26/19 03:56 AM
B
BigPig Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
"Animals with only 1 cone in their eyes see only black and white. As you can see, pigs fall in the middle. This means that while they are not colorblind, they struggle to see certain color wavelengths. Hogs can detect the color blue but struggle with colors on the green and red spectrum."

If you've got a thermal monocular, it does take some getting used to, but it's very doable. I've been using mine for several years now to run around the lease at night with no headlights. Being very familiar with where I'm going certainly helps, though holes and small tree branches can make things exciting at times. I have a NV monocular as well I started with, but being able to drive and scan at the same time keeps it in the bag.

Charlie

If I was familiar with these places it wouldn’t be a problem. We have access to 9 properties that total about 15,000 acres. I won’t spend enough time on each property to get familiar enough with them to safely navigate with my thermal. I do that just fine at my lease, but not at these places.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7672970 11/26/19 05:11 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by BigPig
If I was familiar with these places it wouldn’t be a problem. We have access to 9 properties that total about 15,000 acres. I won’t spend enough time on each property to get familiar enough with them to safely navigate with my thermal. I do that just fine at my lease, but not at these places.

New ground would be problematic and dangerous. If you have a helmet and want to try my NVM14 NV monocular with a J-Arm, shoot me a PM.

https://www.atncorp.com/nightvision-multipurpose-atnnvm14-2

Charlie

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7672998 11/26/19 05:37 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Red is hands down the best for 2 reasons, it aids in keeping your eyes dilated for night and hogs don't see red. They can see the source of the light but wouldn't know they are standing in it. If you can, get 2 red and 1 green. This seems to give the best contrast without ruining intent. Red only can create a washed out look and effect depth perception.

Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7673612 11/27/19 05:13 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
So I use a green led t20 850nm as a headlamp on my 4wheeler. I have taken it into the blind and shined hogs under the feeder and got no response. About $30 on ebay with a clamp on mount. It's bright enough to drive with and clamps onto the rack of the front bumber. You could easily rig it to set on the hood of your truck to drive with.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: What color lights? [Re: garyrapp55] #7673775 11/27/19 02:05 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Red is hands down the best for 2 reasons, it aids in keeping your eyes dilated for night and hogs don't see red. They can see the source of the light but wouldn't know they are standing in it. If you can, get 2 red and 1 green. This seems to give the best contrast without ruining intent. Red only can create a washed out look and effect depth perception.

^^^^^

More accurately, hogs have more trouble seeing certain wavelengths of red than other colors (specifically, blue and green), but this should not infer the color red as being 'invisible' to them.

Unless the OP would be in situations where the lights he uses for navigating are shone directly upon the animals...there really is no concern about choosing Green or Red with respect to the hogs seeing it. However, IF the hunters have interest in preserving their night vision...then red is the hands down winner for a number of reasons.

For the purposes of traveling through a property and not overly alerting animals....attenuating 'noise' is probably more useful than worrying about light sources.

When entering a property and advancing on hogs.....your two major concerns are staying downwind and keeping noise to a minimum. Being 'sighted' (unless skylined) is not generally what is going to give you away.

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/27/19 02:08 PM.

Re: What color lights? [Re: flintknapper] #7674614 11/28/19 02:01 PM
B
BigPig Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

^^^^^

More accurately, hogs have more trouble seeing certain wavelengths of red than other colors (specifically, blue and green), but this should not infer the color red as being 'invisible' to them.

Unless the OP would be in situations where the lights he uses for navigating are shone directly upon the animals...there really is no concern about choosing Green or Red with respect to the hogs seeing it. However, IF the hunters have interest in preserving their night vision...then red is the hands down winner for a number of reasons.

For the purposes of traveling through a property and not overly alerting animals....attenuating 'noise' is probably more useful than worrying about light sources.

When entering a property and advancing on hogs.....your two major concerns are staying downwind and keeping noise to a minimum. Being 'sighted' (unless skylined) is not generally what is going to give you away.

The hogs that busted us did so from a long ways off, prob 175-200 yards. We drive slow to keep the noise down, so I have a hard time believing the noise spooked them. I think it’s a combination of being washed in white light and or seeing something pop up over a hill with lights on. I don’t know. This was my first time on this property, could’ve been any number of things. It is a working cattle ranch where tractors and SxS are used daily.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7674836 11/28/19 05:42 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
BigPig wrote:

The hogs that busted us did so from a long ways off, prob 175-200 yards.
200 yds. is not a 'long ways off', hogs have vision on par with humans at that distance.

We drive slow to keep the noise down, so I have a hard time believing the noise spooked them.
Good practice to drive slowly and keep the noise down. But don't underestimate their ability to hear. Next time you are out on a property, stand off a couple of hundred yards to the get the same perspective as the hogs would have and see if you can hear and or see the vehicles. IF you can...then hogs darn sure can.

I think it’s a combination of being washed in white light and or seeing something pop up over a hill with lights on. I don’t know.
^^^^^^ Yes.

This was my first time on this property, could’ve been any number of things. It is a working cattle ranch where tractors and SxS are used daily.
Different setting, tractors and SxS are not normally out there at night. Hogs are smart....I'm sure you know. Stay after them.

Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7676374 11/30/19 09:49 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
What you need are a couple of 3W red led rock lights. I have them on my lifted golf cart for the same purpose you're wanting them. They are used by rock crawlers to just illuminate a short area in front of a vehicle. eBay is full of them.

Lights

Re: What color lights? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7677395 12/02/19 04:13 AM
B
BigPig Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
What you need are a couple of 3W red led rock lights. I have them on my lifted golf cart for the same purpose you're wanting them. They are used by rock crawlers to just illuminate a short area in front of a vehicle. eBay is full of them.

Lights

I was looking at those. Probably going to give that a try and place some in the cab for lighting.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7677403 12/02/19 04:22 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
1 or 2 inside and 2 outside pointing forward and you will be set.

Re: What color lights? [Re: BigPig] #7678075 12/02/19 10:44 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Interesting post. We've used green LED lights for a decade at the feeder. Either red or green the hogs will get used to the lights. Herein is where we've had issues. We also use Hog Sniper lights that mount to our scopes. Some use red some use green. If we have a bunch of hogs under the feeder they pay no attention to the red or green light we shine from our rifles. However, if it's a single solitary boar I tell folks you have maybe a second to second and half once that light hits them to pull the trigger. The loan boar will bolt 98% of the time once you shine a light on them of any color.

I figured the lights were too bright, I even have one of the models where you can adjust the beam, didn't matter. To combat this issue I took one of the HS lights to Cabelas to find a Butler Creek scope cap that would fit over the objective lens. Once I got home I cut a slit in the scope cover resembling a cats eye maybe 3/16th of an inch at the widest part of the slit. With the scope cap closed this seems to really defuse the light and we've found the big boars less jumpy and ready to bolt.

If there's a bunch I tell folks you can open the scope cover as they don't mind the light for what ever reason.

We've also gone to using the new solar panel street light they're selling. We get the one with 2 sets of 60 LEDS, though you can't get them any color but white. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some colored clear plastic film. Each lens cover comes off with eight screws. I remove the foil reflector and put a green or red piece of film over the LED's put the reflector back on and screw the lens cover on. Little tricky getting them mounted to a 3" pole but with the help of some big U bolts and a couple 5" pieces of 2X4 they tightened down nicely.

They work great for lighting up the area around and under the feeder. A couple of our feeders which are 150 yards or so from the stands so we use two of the lights to help light up the area. These lights stay on at 30 % power until they sense movement and go full bright for a min or as long as they sense movement. To be honest, we can't tell where the motion sensor is and they seem to have a mind of their own for going bright and dim when nothings under the feeder. All in all not bad. I paid $74 for each light.

Which ever color you use red or green the hogs will get use to it. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide