Page 1 of 2 1 2
Woman killed by hogs? #7672434 11/26/19 01:08 AM
L
Lalo Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
OK, this is very sketchy, but please see this article alleging that a pack of wild pigs may have killed a woman in Anahuac east of Houston.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7672542 11/26/19 02:45 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I know nothing about the incident, but I bet it comes out she had some kind of other issue and the hogs happened to show up later. I don't see feral hogs chasing someone down to chew on.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7672564 11/26/19 02:56 AM
L
Lalo Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
The article mentions the possibility that she fell down, hit her head and died and then something -- maybe pigs -- chewed on the body. It does seem odd to me. I just thought I would share the article because people on here seem to care generally about what is happening with wild pigs and perceptions.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7672693 11/26/19 08:36 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That is really odd that the coroner said that she was killed by hog assault. I would be really interested to know if they attacked and she went down and hit her head or if she went down and hit her head and the hogs essentially scavenged her. Also would like to know what evidence they used to determine it was hogs. I am not suggesting that they are wrong in the assessment, only that this seems to be a really very interesting and apparently unique type of incident and so the details would be very enlightening.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7672811 11/26/19 02:11 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
In another article I saw where folks in the area had been seeing a pack of dogs (dogs, not hogs) in the area. Somewhere else stated that the dogs were around her, not close as in right on her, but nearby. The Sheriff stated this is the 6th such case they found on record of someone killed by hogs. It wouldn't be the first ME to mistaken cause of death.

The case seems odd to me. When she pulled up in the car, "typically", hogs would leave. They see this pack of dogs near her, but no hogs. Maybe there isn't an issue, but some of the pieces are odd.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7672826 11/26/19 02:24 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Pigs sure dont run from traffic on I-20!

You'd think they would use dna test for saliva on the body or scat nearby.

Wild dogs can be nasty though. I had a friend growing up that lived in a very poor trailer park that had packs of wild dogs. They sneak up on you and attack instead of barking ans growling. Always carried a good size rock in my hand to sling at them.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: dfwroadkill] #7672888 11/26/19 03:24 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by dfwroadkill
Maybe there isn't an issue, but some of the pieces are odd.

Very odd. The lack of actual witnesses is why I think the forensic information would be so interesting. It would be some pretty darned impressive forensics work to identify saliva or teeth marks on the body for HOGS. That is the kind of thing that gets written up in forensic/medical journals....assuming it is actually correct. I would lay odds that the coroner isn't actually familiar with hog bite patterns and that this would be his first case dealing with the issue.

Okay, maybe I am totally doubting the claims. blush

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7672920 11/26/19 03:55 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If you've ever seen a hog use its tusks the wound is unmistakable to a bite mark. I had a dog that displayed these wounds. Once those tusks hit an artery and there is no one around to help it's pretty much a done deal. As far as bite marks I've not seen a hog bite but I've seen the slashes.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7673060 11/26/19 06:54 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

peep

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7673070 11/26/19 07:06 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I don't know any of the details of this case, but it did strike me as odd when it ran on the news last night.

I told my wife I suspsected something else happened and the hogs got blamed, maybe from scavenging, but who really knows. The ME is sometimes a wild guess, shocker there right? In a case where there is no "known" cause of death or something like a brain hemorrhage and also bite/cut marks from hogs, the ME may make the leap and say she got knocked over by the hogs and that caused the hemorrhage, rather than the hemorrhage being the first thing and the hogs scavenging second.

Having said that, the scavenging would have had to be pretty recent to the fall, as that kind of stuff is easy to ID when a body isn't circulating blood. Who knows. Probably not even the ME...

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: hook_n_line] #7673085 11/26/19 07:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
If you've ever seen a hog use its tusks the wound is unmistakable to a bite mark. I had a dog that displayed these wounds. Once those tusks hit an artery and there is no one around to help it's pretty much a done deal. As far as bite marks I've not seen a hog bite but I've seen the slashes.

Sows and young boars will bite, which is what you would expect to find in a sounder.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7673186 11/26/19 09:29 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Sows and young boars will bite, which is what you would expect to find in a sounder.

They darn sure WILL. Anyone that doesn't think hogs won't bite like a crocodile hasn't been in a pen with any trying to get them into a trailer.

A full grown sow can crack a walnut by biting on it. Yes, mature boars 'tend' to slash/hook you...but that is usually when they are making a pass at you, they will bite also when they really want to do some damage.

Plenty of Hog Dogs have had legs amputated from the damage done when a hog catches them and bites.

Or ask this guy...if hogs will bite (besides slash).

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/hunting/other-hunting/pearl-river-wma-hog-hunter-becomes-hunted/

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7673324 11/27/19 12:02 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Okay, maybe I am totally doubting the claims. blush

roflmao

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7673649 11/27/19 10:14 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
The details available at this time really don't add up. I am very doubtful that a group of hogs would be in someone's yard and attack a person between their car and the door to the house. If they were cornered or in a situation where they felt threatened, this situation could occur, but I just don't think so under these circumstances.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: flintknapper] #7673761 11/27/19 01:56 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by flintknapper
[quote=hook_n_line]If you've ever seen a hog use its tusks the wound is unmistakable to a bite mark. I had a dog that displayed these wounds. Once those tusks hit an artery and there is no one around to help it's pretty much a done deal.

They darn sure WILL. Anyone that doesn't think hogs won't bite like a crocodile hasn't been in a pen with any trying to get them into a trailer.

A full grown sow can crack a walnut by biting on it. Yes, mature boars 'tend' to slash/hook you...but that is usually when they are making a pass at you, they will bite also when they really want to do some damage.

Plenty of Hog Dogs have had legs amputated from the damage done when a hog catches them and bites.

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/hunting/other-hunting/pearl-river-wma-hog-hunter-becomes-hunted/

Correction. As far as bite marks I've not seen a hog bite mark but I've seen the slashes.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: hook_n_line] #7673786 11/27/19 02:14 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
[quote=hook_n_line]If you've ever seen a hog use its tusks the wound is unmistakable to a bite mark. I had a dog that displayed these wounds. Once those tusks hit an artery and there is no one around to help it's pretty much a done deal.

Correction. As far as bite marks I've not seen a hog bite mark but I've seen the slashes.

Are you contesting the fact that hogs also 'bite' or pointing out that in the link referenced that the photo shows a 'slash' wound?

The reference (if you read the account) clearly states the hog also BIT him. I.E, did both slashing and biting.

If you are suggesting hogs do not bite...there is a correction needed alright.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7673806 11/27/19 02:23 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: flintknapper] #7673808 11/27/19 02:27 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Are you contesting the fact that hogs also 'bite' or pointing out that in the link referenced that the photo shows a 'slash' wound?

The reference (if you read the account) clearly states the hog also BIT him. I.E, did both slashing and biting.

Just saying I've seen slashes and not seen bite marks. I know they bite i've not seen the aftermath. I've been around plenty and even raised a few just been lucky not to have been bitten.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7673821 11/27/19 02:38 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I had a sounder of hogs jump on a doe I shot before I could recover her. They had ripped the whole side out and were chowing on the guts and the back meat. It was a mess but I put the big sow in the freezer right next to what was left of my doe.

That poor woman. I would not want to be the one walking up on that scene.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7673905 11/27/19 04:02 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
[quote=flintknapper][quote=Double Naught Spy][quote=hook_n_line]If you've ever seen a hog use its tusks the wound is unmistakable to a bite mark. I had a dog that displayed these wounds. Once those tusks hit an artery and there is no one around to help it's pretty much a done deal.

Just saying I've seen slashes and not seen bite marks. I know they bite i've not seen the aftermath. I've been around plenty and even raised a few just been lucky not to have been bitten.

Then I suppose the 'correction' was not needed? Hogs bite period! It is a fact too plain to require any argument.

Sows and young boars (neither sporting significant cutters) can't do anything else to good effect.

Mature boars tend to 'hook/slash' with their cutters but can (and do) also bite. The slashing they do is normally when an attack (on other than another hog) is not intended to be protracted event. They hit once or twice and move on. When Boars are fighting among themselves, slashing is almost exclusive since there are few places for a boar to 'bite' one another.

Because you haven't personally seen a hog bite...doesn't mean they don't do it, right? I haven't been to Iceland...but I know it exists. wink

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1080603217301916

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(11)00155-4/pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznllAs6tJs

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/27/19 04:03 PM.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: flintknapper] #7674012 11/27/19 06:01 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
[quote=flintknapper][quote=Double Naught Spy][quote=hook_n_line]If you've ever seen a hog use its tusks the wound is unmistakable to a bite mark. I had a dog that displayed these wounds. Once those tusks hit an artery and there is no one around to help it's pretty much a done deal.

Then I suppose the 'correction' was not needed? Hogs bite period! It is a fact too plain to require any argument.

Sows and young boars (neither sporting significant cutters) can't do anything else to good effect.

Mature boars tend to 'hook/slash' with their cutters but can (and do) also bite. The slashing they do is normally when an attack (on other than another hog) is not intended to be protracted event. They hit once or twice and move on. When Boars are fighting among themselves, slashing is almost exclusive since there are few places for a boar to 'bite' one another.

Because you haven't personally seen a hog bite...doesn't mean they don't do it, right? I haven't been to Iceland...but I know it exists. wink

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1080603217301916

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(11)00155-4/pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznllAs6tJs

scratch confused2 "exsanguination" Might have been a chupa.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Palehorse] #7674037 11/27/19 06:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Palehorse
I had a sounder of hogs jump on a doe I shot before I could recover her. They had ripped the whole side out and were chowing on the guts and the back meat. It was a mess but I put the big sow in the freezer right next to what was left of my doe.

That poor woman. I would not want to be the one walking up on that scene.

I talked to a buddy of mine in Minnesota about this. He used to raise a lot of pigs. I think he said they had 4 hog barns, each with several hundred head. Anyway, he said that they can sort of have a shark mentality when it came to another hog with an open, bleeding wounds. In his words, "it is disturbing to see." So if this lady was down with some sort of head trauma resulting in bleeding and was found by hogs, they very well may have gone after her, sort of like what you describe with your doe.

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7674040 11/27/19 06:43 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
[quote=Palehorse]So if this lady was down with some sort of head trauma resulting in bleeding and was found by hogs, they very well may have gone after her, sort of like what you describe with your doe.

Yes, and this would be more plausible to me than a dastardly and vicious attack with malice. LOL ..

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: Lalo] #7674096 11/27/19 08:07 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Re: Woman killed by hogs? [Re: hook_n_line] #7674146 11/27/19 09:23 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

From your article...
*Shoot big boars. Many hunters don’t like killing big boars due to smell and taste of meat but statistics show most fatal attacks (nearly 90 percent) are large, lone boars. Kill these hogs with no hesitation.

Personally, I have yet to meet a hunter that doesn't want to kill a big boar. So nearly 90% of the fatal attacks are by lone boars? I gotta see this database. According to here...https://wildlife-damage-management.extension.org/feral-hog-attacks-on-humans/
Feral hog (also called wild hogs and wild pigs; Sus scrofa) attacks on people are rare and uncommon. In the United States, four people have died from feral hog attacks since the late 1800s—three victims were attacked by a wounded boar while hunting.

So out of 4 attacks, how are almost 90% by lone boars? Were three by lone boars (75%) and the fourth by a sow that Identified as a lone boar (+12.5%)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide