Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,492
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program #7670903 11/24/19 04:24 AM
jeh7mmmag Online Happy OP
gramps
OP Online Happy
gramps
An elongated season and the liberal bag limits provided by Texas’ Managed Lands Deer Program have given participating landowners and hunters plenty to boast about for over two decades.
Those bragging rights are likely to come at a price in the not-too-distant future.
Texas Parks and Wildlife moved closer to levying an annual fee on the highly popular program after the department’s commission granted permission at a November work session for proposed changes to be published in the Texas Register.
The proposals will be subject to public comment and could be approved by the commission in early 2020. TPWD officials hope to implement the fee for the 2021-22 hunting season, which would be ample time to update the Land Management Assistance website and for participants to prepare for the changes.

more:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...d-aid-Texas-popular-Managed-14858190.php

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7671240 11/24/19 07:40 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Tag

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7671751 11/25/19 02:09 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I don't have or see any issue with this. I see it as a positive, the fees are reasonable and we could use more game biologists.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: Jeff in TX] #7672072 11/25/19 07:53 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by Jeff in TX
I don't have or see any issue with this. I see it as a positive, the fees are reasonable and we could use more game biologists.

100%.

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7672804 11/26/19 02:06 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Since the quality of the biologist is suspect at BEST. And they ignore your goals for state goals I'm against it... Also I'm pretty much always against more taxes

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7672818 11/26/19 02:15 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you could buy a stamp to participate, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but just adding another fee (tax) overall just isn't right.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: catslayer] #7672837 11/26/19 02:36 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by catslayer
Since the quality of the biologist is suspect at BEST. And they ignore your goals for state goals I'm against it... Also I'm pretty much always against more taxes

I totally disagree with your assessment in my situation. Our local game biologist is excellent, extremely helpful and usually just a quick call or email away when my neighbors or I have questions or need some help. My neighbors and I work closely with our local game biologist on our deer management program, he's all about our goals and provides excellent management ideas. Never once have I ever had him say the states goals are...! Heck, we even had him draw straws for us once on a monster buck that was being seen on our places as to who gets first shot on him. My neighbors and I were arguing among our selves who'll get first shot. It was all in fun mind you.

My neighbor to my west wants to do a controlled burn so bad, our local game biologist has offered to bring some A&M grads up to help to get them experience. It's just near impossible to schedule a control burn and have the correct weather conditions.

All I have to say was when was the last time you had your game biologist out to go over your goals? I realize their may be a bad apple here and there but that's not been our experience!

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7672944 11/26/19 04:36 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Didn't voters just pass a proposition that gives a lot of money to TPWP, something to do with taxes on sporting goods?

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: DLALLDER] #7672949 11/26/19 04:44 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Didn't voters just pass a proposition that gives a lot of money to TPWP, something to do with taxes on sporting goods?

No amount of money is ever enough money in the eyes of any government department - they'll ALWAYS try and get more and they'll always have a "good" reason for it in their eyes.

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7672961 11/26/19 05:05 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Binary

No amount of money is ever enough money in the eyes of any government department - they'll ALWAYS try and get more and they'll always have a "good" reason for it in their eyes.

That's my thoughts also.

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: Jeff in TX] #7672966 11/26/19 05:09 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

I totally disagree with your assessment in my situation. Our local game biologist is excellent, extremely helpful and usually just a quick call or email away when my neighbors or I have questions or need some help. My neighbors and I work closely with our local game biologist on our deer management program, he's all about our goals and provides excellent management ideas. Never once have I ever had him say the states goals are...! Heck, we even had him draw straws for us once on a monster buck that was being seen on our places as to who gets first shot on him. My neighbors and I were arguing among our selves who'll get first shot. It was all in fun mind you.

My neighbor to my west wants to do a controlled burn so bad, our local game biologist has offered to bring some A&M grads up to help to get them experience. It's just near impossible to schedule a control burn and have the correct weather conditions.

All I have to say was when was the last time you had your game biologist out to go over your goals? I realize their may be a bad apple here and there but that's not been our experience!

I am on the other side of the fence, has never mattered what we wanted to accomplish at the lease, it was always their decision period. Showed them that we have a buck to doe ratio higher than 2 to 1. They said kill more doe. I said what about our buck to doe ratio? They said I will not give you any more buck tags, kill more does. I said why, they said they were going by state average so it really did not matter about our information.

Last edited by GLC; 11/26/19 05:12 PM.

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: DLALLDER] #7672975 11/26/19 05:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Binary

That's my thoughts also.

What I have seen is that whenever a Gov. agency gets more money they hire more people then get more and more into your business.

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: GLC] #7672988 11/26/19 05:26 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by GLC

I am on the other side of the fence, has never mattered what we wanted to accomplish at the lease, it was always their decision period. Showed them that we have a buck to doe ratio higher than 2 to 1. They said kill more doe. I said what about our buck to doe ratio? They said I will not give you any more buck tags, kill more does. I said why, they said they were going by state average so it really did not matter about our information.

How did you determine your 2 buck to 1 doe ratio? No offense, but if its a low fence property he probably just didn't believe your data or estimation. I wouldn't.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7673066 11/26/19 07:02 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I own a 162.5 acres (not much in some peoples mind but it's all I wanted and needed) as does my neighbor to my west. West of him our neighbor owns 300 acres. Across the rd is another 162 acre track. Yes, much over kill on my part but I run 11 cameras and seven feeders. My neighbors also run at least a half dozen or more cameras. At the end of Aug beginning of Sept we give our deer counts based on the cameras. It's easy to see the same groups so their not counted twice. We also provide pics of the bucks we have. Our game biologist will tell us how many does we can take and which bucks are the shooters and which are not. My neighbors and I work together on this. My neighbor with 300 acres has bucks I've never seen on camera and some of mine he's never seen. It's not rocket science but it's works for almost 8 years.

My neighbor to the west of my place dropped a nice 9 point on Sunday that none of us had on camera.

When I expanded my tank a quick call to my biologist as to what native grasses to plant on the dam. A quick trip to Breckenridge and I purchased the seed mixture he recommended. He was spot on with his recommendations and it came in nicely over the spring and summer. I also had issues with a small salt scald from years ago, not much would grow. He gave me some recommendations on what to plant, some of it took, some not so much. I probably need to bring in some gypsum and dirt to cover over the area and see if I can get more to grow.

Our biologist has been a huge asset for us. I/we enjoy working with him. We have a great relationship and best of all he's a fellow Aggie! cheers

Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7673197 11/26/19 09:42 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
I have no problem with a fee as long as the fee is paid by the owners of the land putting it into MLDP. If they want it then they should be the ones paying it. But don't put a fee onto every license sold to pay for it. I don't hunt and MLDP properties and don't want to foot the bill for those that do.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Proposed fee would aid Texas’ popular Managed Lands Deer Program [Re: redchevy] #7673460 11/27/19 02:15 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by GLC

How did you determine your 2 buck to 1 doe ratio? No offense, but if its a low fence property he probably just didn't believe your data or estimation. I wouldn't.

Documenting everything we physically saw and 24 cameras videos, for one month. Counting all sightings up, we had a 2 to 1 ratio. This exactly what we were asked to do. Why i have no idea, did not care what we found out. They should have said dont do anything, we will make our own decisions.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide