Print Thread
Sam Houston #7671520 11/25/19 02:18 AM
J
JSAPP Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Any tips on hunting Sam Houston park? I never hunted public land before thinking about giving it a try

Re: Sam Houston [Re: JSAPP] #7671531 11/25/19 02:34 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by JSAPP
Any tips on hunting Sam Houston park? I never hunted public land before thinking about giving it a try

I don't think you can hunt the park.

Wish I had tips for you but this evening was my 6th hunt here and I'm stumped

Came here two years ago. Found an area to try.

Came here Friday and hunted both yesterday and today.

Yesterday we saw a doe and a hog. Today only a doe.

Problem is each time they were running out of our areas. So I'm truly stumped.

Got on here to seek advice. But in reality I think it's about getting time out here. Figuring out where food sources are given you can't bait. And finding funnels

May come back during muzzleloader season

[Linked Image]
Re: Sam Houston [Re: Hopedale] #7671559 11/25/19 03:07 AM
J
JSAPP Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Thanks for that advice. I live 45 mins from the park. I guess I just need to just go out there. I didn’t know you couldn’t bait.

Re: Sam Houston [Re: JSAPP] #7671731 11/25/19 01:37 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Re: Sam Houston [Re: JSAPP] #7671848 11/25/19 03:46 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
If you dont have OnX, I recommend getting that. It really helps with boundaries and knowing where you can and cant hunt.
One thing I dont see much commenting on about Public Land hunting is how much more relaxing it is, at least for me.
On a lease, if you're a regular guy and not paying for a high end place, it takes a lot of work to maintain a hunting area, keep feeders going, fix feeders, check trail cameras, and just generally keep an area a good and viable hunting spot to stay viable compared to the next guys on the lease all throughout the year.
On public land, you just show up and hunt.
Expectations need to be tampered significantly, and I consider a hunt where I see a deer a good one, or all you could ask for. An opportunity was there, if I put myself in the right place or was hunting it right at that moment, I've got a shot. If not, well, I had a chance.

It helps hunting the SAM tremendously if you have a doe permit, I've only seen two bucks in the last two years - one spike and one nice one. It's the doe permit that makes me feel like I've got a chance when going out.

As far as the basics go, get a climbing stand and go out during the day to find a few good trees you can get to in the dark where you think deer may be. Mark them on the OnX or GPS. Then, when you hunt get in before light, climb up, and sit as long as you can. The bush and brush are high enough in most of it that odds of still hunting a deer are pretty low, so sitting up high is your best bet.

People love to act like its a warzone hunting public land, and I dont know if im ruining it for the rest of us, but man it's not. I'd regularly see more people on hunting leases than I do hunting the Sam during the week. When I do hear gunshots, it's always encouraging to me and keeps me in the tree another hour.

Re: Sam Houston [Re: JB1316] #7672014 11/25/19 06:52 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by JB1316
If you dont have OnX, I recommend getting that. It really helps with boundaries and knowing where you can and cant hunt.
One thing I dont see much commenting on about Public Land hunting is how much more relaxing it is, at least for me.
On a lease, if you're a regular guy and not paying for a high end place, it takes a lot of work to maintain a hunting area, keep feeders going, fix feeders, check trail cameras, and just generally keep an area a good and viable hunting spot to stay viable compared to the next guys on the lease all throughout the year.
On public land, you just show up and hunt.
Expectations need to be tampered significantly, and I consider a hunt where I see a deer a good one, or all you could ask for. An opportunity was there, if I put myself in the right place or was hunting it right at that moment, I've got a shot. If not, well, I had a chance.

It helps hunting the SAM tremendously if you have a doe permit, I've only seen two bucks in the last two years - one spike and one nice one. It's the doe permit that makes me feel like I've got a chance when going out.

As far as the basics go, get a climbing stand and go out during the day to find a few good trees you can get to in the dark where you think deer may be. Mark them on the OnX or GPS. Then, when you hunt get in before light, climb up, and sit as long as you can. The bush and brush are high enough in most of it that odds of still hunting a deer are pretty low, so sitting up high is your best bet.

People love to act like its a warzone hunting public land, and I dont know if im ruining it for the rest of us, but man it's not. I'd regularly see more people on hunting leases than I do hunting the Sam during the week. When I do hear gunshots, it's always encouraging to me and keeps me in the tree another hour.

OnX is a must and buy the subscription for Texas. My buddy has the free version and we were close to a no hunting zone. The free version didn't have that option.
Glad I had it so we didn't scout

Being stumped i may have read an article or two last night and a YouTube video.

The YouTube video put it best for hunting public.

1. Find the bucks (look for scraps and rubbs)
2. Put out trail cams
3. Go where others won't.
4. Hunt the rut
5. Watch your weather

With the place being so dang big, we've focused on this one area. The main thing about it is you really can't get lost. If you were to get turned around, you can pull out your compass pick a direction and make sure to stick to it. You will come out on a road at some point.

Told my buddy we need to get back out there after the season just to scout out some new areas looking for buck signs.

OP, as close as you are, you should make that place yours. I'm 3 hours away, so it makes for a rough trip to just go on a Saturday.

[Linked Image]
Re: Sam Houston [Re: JSAPP] #7672141 11/25/19 09:18 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
I have seen deer out there and a couple of bucks but shooting them is another challenge. Stick to deer sign mentioned above and hope you're lucky. Mostly, be safe and enjoy it.

Re: Sam Houston [Re: JB1316] #7673081 11/26/19 07:15 PM
J
JSAPP Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Thanks!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide