Print Thread
For The Firefighters #7670561 11/23/19 05:39 PM
M
mikereiling5 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
I am not sure how many are on here and read this, but just took a civil service exam for Irving and definitely did not pass. Anyone have any advice for me for taking those tests? ( I struggle with math)
Also If anyone has any other advice for me I would appreciate it. Thank you

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670571 11/23/19 05:50 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Has to be a guy that can fix it for a little $$$.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670574 11/23/19 05:58 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My suggestion is to study math.

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670581 11/23/19 06:07 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Go find a podcast called Kwik Brain. Find the episode about studying. The podcasts are like 15 minutes long. Jim Kwik is a self-made genius, and I would of done a lot of bad things to of had his wealth of knowledge in those podcasts while I was in college studying.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670587 11/23/19 06:17 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Become a cop because there is not much math until accident investigation

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670591 11/23/19 06:31 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I’m sure there are practice tests that you can download and print for practice.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670601 11/23/19 06:48 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Find published civil service exam study guide books. There are some that break the typical firefighter civil service exam into chapters each for a separate section of the test. Then each chapter has tests only from that chapter. That way you learn what areas of the overall test that you are weak in and can study accordingly. Some tests now have a psychological section. I would answer those questions honestly and not try to guess what the answer should be. There isn't always a right or wrong answer on that portion of the test. Some fire departments will have a study guide for purchase that is more related to their specific exam. Definitely take advantage of those. I retired from Carrollton Fire Rescue one year ago. They have a test coming up in Feb and they do have a study guide available. https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-a-f/fire/fire-recruitment-information
Always be honest and thorough on your initial application. As an example for college transcripts, provide all of your hours, not just what is required to take the test. My best advice is to take every city's fire entrance exam in the area, not just the city you are wanting to work. You will get more comfortable with the tests and your scores should improve. If you get on a list and get notified about a practice day for the physical ability test? GO! You would be surprised how many people don't. If you get a ways into the hiring process with a city and get passed over, fix why you were passed over, go back and do it again the next year, and the next, until you get hired.
Good Luck

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: Sniper John] #7670603 11/23/19 06:54 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Find published civil service exam study guide books. There are some that break the typical firefighter civil service exam into chapters each for a separate section of the test. Then each chapter has tests only from that chapter. That way you learn what areas of the overall test that you are weak in and can study accordingly. Some tests now have a psychological section. I would answer those questions honestly and not try to guess what the answer should be. There isn't always a right or wrong answer on that portion of the test. Some fire departments will have a study guide for purchase that is more related to their specific exam. Definitely take advantage of those. I retired from Carrollton Fire Rescue one year ago. They have a test coming up in Feb and they do have a study guide available. https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-a-f/fire/fire-recruitment-information
Always be honest and thorough on your initial application. As an example for college transcripts, provide all of your hours, not just what is required to take the test. My best advice is to take every city's fire entrance exam in the area, not just the city you are wanting to work. You will get more comfortable with the tests and your scores should improve. If you get on a list and get notified about a practice day for the physical ability test? GO! You would be surprised how many people don't. If you get a ways into the hiring process with a city and get passed over, fix why you were passed over, go back and do it again the next year, and the next, until you get hired.
Good Luck

OP, ^^^30 year man talking to you right there. Of course he nailed it.

And remember, at ANY time you are on the phone, or in person with anyone from the city, or the FD, you are being interviewed. Anything you say and do, can and will be used against you in final selection. So be polite, be courteous, be respectful at all times, because you never know whom is watching. You're always being watched until you've got lots of time in the FD.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670610 11/23/19 07:14 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
For the math aspect:
Study adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions.
For the reading, make sure you grasp the concept of reading comprehension.
For the mechanical, study multiple gear/ gear driven ideas and concepts.
Always remember, if you think long then you think wrong!

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: For The Firefighters [Re: Sniper John] #7670614 11/23/19 07:47 PM
M
mikereiling5 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Good Luck

Thank you, that is great advice, I just checked it out and it looks like I have the pre-reqs for Carrolton. The biggest issue I have been facing, is finding places that will allow me to test even though I do not have any certifications yet. Just a bachelors and a masters.

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7670687 11/23/19 10:15 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The Laurie Laughlin institute for entrance exams.

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: J.G.] #7670718 11/23/19 10:58 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Good Luck

OP, ^^^30 year man talking to you right there. Of course he nailed it.

And remember, at ANY time you are on the phone, or in person with anyone from the city, or the FD, you are being interviewed. Anything you say and do, can and will be used against you in final selection. So be polite, be courteous, be respectful at all times, because you never know whom is watching. You're always being watched until you've got lots of time in the FD.

One more thing to ad. Many departments before doing interviews will hire an outside investigator to do background checks on more than just criminal history. It will include internet and social media history and you would be amazed at what they can find. If an applicant has a history of posting things on internet platforms that include racial, bigoted, threatening, etc., don't waste everyone's time.

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: Sniper John] #7670757 11/24/19 12:04 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Yep

There is a retired Lewisville PD detective doing backgrounds in his own practice that is tuff

Re: For The Firefighters [Re: mikereiling5] #7671102 11/24/19 04:22 PM
M
mikereiling5 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
thanks yall, as far as backround checks I have nothing to hide. But I get why they have to do that in todays climate.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide