Print Thread
Satellite TV at the lease #7670437 11/23/19 02:14 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
My hunting buddy of over 25 years just moved to Oklahoma. For years we have "piggybacked" off his Direct TV at the deer lease. He requested an extra box (about $7 per month)...we installed a dish at the lease....setup the box...and boom weve had Satellite TV for years. When he moved he cancelled his Direct TV subscription so we needed to find another "donor". Long story short, found a buddy who was going to do the same thing for us....get an additional box and let us "piggyback" off his home service BUT.... Direct TV has told him they no longer allow that...they state that as of December 2019 the boxes that work remote like that are all being phased out and going forward we will need NEW service ....I dont intend on paying $50+ a month to watch a little TV at night or on hot days in the summer at the deer lease.

Do any of you guys know of a workaround?? Does anyone w Dish Network know if we can piggyback like we were doing w Direct TV? Direct TV knew we had a box at the lease....they helped us set it up. We were within their guidelines but now we are in search of an alternative option and wanted to reach out here to see if any of you guys might suggest a workaround....not a huge deal if we cant replace it..but Im down in Freer...and on work weekend in the summer it gets a bit toasty during the midday hours so watching an old western sometimes is welcome relief....

Any suggestions...ideas ...recommendations is appreciated.....

"When I die...I'd like to die like my pawpaw....peacefully....in my sleep...not screaming and hollering like those people in his car"
Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670451 11/23/19 02:33 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Dish network and a tailgator set up and you'll be rock'n. Same thing you had with different provider is all.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Western] #7670459 11/23/19 02:41 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Perfect...Ill start working on my Dish Network buddies laugh

Thanks my friend...

"When I die...I'd like to die like my pawpaw....peacefully....in my sleep...not screaming and hollering like those people in his car"
Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670467 11/23/19 02:49 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Antenna technology has come a long ways. I'm about to dump Dish and install an antenna. This Channel Master kit is what I'm leaning strongly towards buying.

https://www.channelmaster.com/EXTREMEtenna_Bundle_p/cm-4228hdbdl.htm

While it might not be possible to use an antenna, there might also be a chance that you can. Put the address in here and see if anything is in range and if they have an antenna that will work.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-Selection-a/134.htm

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: EddieWalker] #7670485 11/23/19 03:23 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Antenna technology has come a long ways. I'm about to dump Dish and install an antenna. This Channel Master kit is what I'm leaning strongly towards buying.

https://www.channelmaster.com/EXTREMEtenna_Bundle_p/cm-4228hdbdl.htm

While it might not be possible to use an antenna, there might also be a chance that you can. Put the address in here and see if anything is in range and if they have an antenna that will work.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna-Selection-a/134.htm

We do have an antenna also we get about 58 channels but due to being so close to Laredo and Corpus about 25 of them are in Spanish....our TV also has a built in DVD player so we have a lot to watch. We get all the major networks with really good reception....we were just spoiled w adding the Direct TV for $7 per month as a remote....if find a buddy who has Dish and doesnt mind allowing us to do that we may go that route..but it appears I will have to buy one of the tailgaters from Dish for this to work...which looks to be more than I want to pay....for my Direct TV setup, a member here gave me 2 smal satellite dishes for free...I set it up and was watching Direct TV within 20 minutes...very cost effective...not sure I want to pay $300 for the Dish setup....we have permanent lodging so I can install a dish that is permanent like I had w Direct TV...but it doesnt appear thats a possibility with Dish network...

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670491 11/23/19 03:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
You may still be able to use one of those antenna with DISH, idk. Tailgater is what is common as it is mobile and has automatic sat pickup, as long as it is facing South. You should be able to find out thru google or DISH customer service as afar as antenna req's. The tailgater comes with the box and antenna, but I have seen fellas use a box from home, but didn't pay attention to what antenna they used other than they weren't tailgater type, more what you see on a home install, so...

Dennis

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670497 11/23/19 03:36 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Was just thinking, one guy at our lease did bring a spare DISH antenna he had when they upgraded his house. He did bring a box from home each weekend which seemed like a pita. I know you can buy an extra box if you have the antenna tho, seen them on ebay and several other places. If you pull a box from home, I don't think you you would have to pay the add on fee as well, but what a pain.

Dennis

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670500 11/23/19 03:43 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
The tailgate is pretty cheap if you consider you are only paying 7$ a month for the service. You can get a used one for less then new obviously.

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Western] #7670501 11/23/19 03:44 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by Western
Was just thinking, one guy at our lease did bring a spare DISH antenna he had when they upgraded his house. He did bring a box from home each weekend which seemed like a pita. I know you can buy an extra box if you have the antenna tho, seen them on ebay and several other places. If you pull a box from home, I don't think you you would have to pay the add on fee as well, but what a pain.

Yea we didnt want to bother with carrying a box back and forth so Direct TV just allowed us to ADD a box...like for a spare bedroom. We just left it at the lease...worked like a charm...Im going to call Dish once I find a buddy who has Dish Network and see what my options are....My hope would be to install a permanent satellite dish, and get an add on box and circumvent having to buy the Tailgater...but if thats not an option then I may go w the Tailgater....

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670507 11/23/19 03:58 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Originally Posted by Western

Yea we didnt want to bother with carrying a box back and forth so Direct TV just allowed us to ADD a box...like for a spare bedroom. We just left it at the lease...worked like a charm...Im going to call Dish once I find a buddy who has Dish Network and see what my options are....My hope would be to install a permanent satellite dish, and get an add on box and circumvent having to buy the Tailgater...but if thats not an option then I may go w the Tailgater....

You can do the very same with DISH (just add a box), but you still need the "box". I think the options are tailgater package (turn key), have an antenna that works, then need to buy a stand alone box (ebay, or simlar), I dont think DISH sells just the box, but they may. One of your DISH buddies may have a spare box .

iirc, you only have to pay the 7 bucks if you go with the add on deal, I know the guy at our camp that gave me the original idea, didn't pay any extra, but had to haul that box from home all the time. I use the tailgater package since I have a camper and it works great for that, got mine on sale from Nebraska furniture mart for $199 when a thf member posted the sale.

Dennis

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670909 11/24/19 04:36 AM
1riot1ranger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I used a dish tailgater program for years, worked great. Sold that place and the new one has internet service. Now I use our home system that allows access anywhere via internet. All the channels of home with no additional cost. I did buy an AT&T internet router and the line is $10/month. If you have a big enough data plan and a hotspot you probably don't need that.

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7670964 11/24/19 11:48 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I have Direct TV and have an extra receiver at my place ( Cabin) in Dickens county for years.They wouldn't allow an additional receiver at the cabin but did allow it for a camper. So my Cabin has been a camper for 6 years. Will they cancel me or are existing units grandfathered. Any one know the answer?????

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Flashprism] #7671041 11/24/19 02:38 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by Flashprism
I have Direct TV and have an extra receiver at my place ( Cabin) in Dickens county for years.They wouldn't allow an additional receiver at the cabin but did allow it for a camper. So my Cabin has been a camper for 6 years. Will they cancel me or are existing units grandfathered. Any one know the answer?????

I was told the current boxes are being phased out at the end of this year. They will ALL be replaced w newer and smaller boxes in the next year. Not sure how they "know" that a box in a spare bedroom is being used somewhere else. When my buddy moved to OK, I had another buddy who was going to get me an extra box and thats when we were told we cant do that anymore....Who knows....maybe I got a hold of someone who doesnt know what they were talking about....sure would be easier w Direct TV as I already have a dish mounted and locked in to a satellite...

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: 1riot1ranger] #7671044 11/24/19 02:41 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by 1riot1ranger
I used a dish tailgater program for years, worked great. Sold that place and the new one has internet service. Now I use our home system that allows access anywhere via internet. All the channels of home with no additional cost. I did buy an AT&T internet router and the line is $10/month. If you have a big enough data plan and a hotspot you probably don't need that.

We are located so far out in the sticks we barely get cell service...I can get pretty good service in one of our stands but it is 3/4 of a mile from camp....at camp cell service its almost nil. Internet service is almost non existent...dont think this would be an option for us

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7671180 11/24/19 06:09 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You could get the Dish set up for your residence and at that time get a receiver for you camper. Ready to go

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: Bobby_G] #7671861 11/25/19 04:04 PM
E
easton1025 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
are you telling them you are doing this..??? If so that may be your issue...
we have several boxes at our lease that piggyback off our home accts... we just name it a room in our house.. They tried to get me to switch to the wifi stuff and I declined ..They told me my boxes will last years....

Re: Satellite TV at the lease [Re: easton1025] #7672401 11/26/19 12:34 AM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
It is Standard def boxes and dishes they say at end of 19. I have a neighbor that installs them for a living, he says they been saying that for years. Just tell them you want to put one in garage. You can find the dishes on internet or craiglist all day long.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide