Forums46
Topics537,812
Posts9,729,417
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7666925 11/19/19 10:33 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
About 10 times over 50 years with no citations.

texas flag

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7667074 11/20/19 12:57 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s just a lose-lose scenario when LEOs are disrespectful and bullying. Especially when kids are around. Why in the heck would anyone want kids to grow up fearing officers and thinking of them as someone out to “get” them?

Be nice (or at least respectful) until given a reason not to be. This ain’t Russia and the citizens are not the enemy. 2cents

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7668750 11/21/19 03:27 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
4 times in 40 yrs....2-dove(Hunt & San Saba) & 2-deer (Coleman & Young)....received a warning in Coleman for not filling out the log on the back of the license...I think it was the 2nd year that was in effect. Every warden I've encountered has been courteous and professional

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7668856 11/21/19 04:55 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Too many to count. Been checked on private land and public land, on water and on land, by state and by federal. Most interactions have been smooth but I’ve had a few of those unpleasant interactions. No tickets and 1 warning. The one warning was fishing without a license in a state park at about 7am on my 17th birthday.
I try to follow the rules and be a good example for my boys as they’re usually with me these days, but I agree with the previous statement about “you can talk yourself into a ticket”. I’m just a yes sir no sir kind of person these days. Not going to try and make buddy buddy with the GW.

Our previous lease was not far from the academy and most of those unpleasant checks were conducted by rookies just chomping at the bit to find something. Those guys were usually accompanied by a seasoned GW and you could tell they would get irritated too during some of these interactions.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7668892 11/21/19 05:33 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
6 times. One day I was lucky enough to get checked by 2 different GW's. Most have been nice only one had me repeat stories and count quarters to ensure nothing was aloof.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7669154 11/21/19 10:52 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
3 times in 30 years. Twice at camp - had deer tagged, license, DL and HEC (although I am too old to need one) in my pocket. Other time coming out of ranch with my wife during dove season and stopped us on county road. All 3 times they were very courteous and respectful.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7669191 11/21/19 11:27 PM
416WbyMag Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
As a landowner, I've gotten to know my GW over the years. I don't live on my property and instead, may make it out there 3 or 4 times a year. Nowadays, I'll shoot a text to him if I'm heading out either by myself or with my hunting buddies. Good guy to know. And I know that if my truck gets stuck on the back section somewhere, he will come help me. Makes the wife feel better knowing that if I am out there alone, he knows it and he will check in on things. I really appreciate those TPWD folks, yessir.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7670456 11/23/19 02:38 PM
B
Bobby_G Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Deer Hunting - 3 times and never a violation
Dove hunting - probably 10 to 12 times - never a violation
Fishing - too many times to count - never a violation

Last winter while fishing in Burnett bay near Baytown, there were about 10 boats in this fairly small bay area...the GW slides in about 9 AM and starts going boat to boat....I can see the route hes going to take because we were all in a rotating drift pattern and he was just going from boat to boat in a clockwise motion...I dropped my rod and started getting things ready...pulled out the life jackets...throwable flotation device...my fire extinguisher...my TPWD registration card just in case...went back to fishing waitng for my turn...the sucker idled within 50 feet of us and just waived as he went by...checked EVERY boat in that small bay except us....to this day I have no idea why hed check EVERY boat and not us...no biggie as I was legal...it was just weird...

"When I die...I'd like to die like my pawpaw....peacefully....in my sleep...not screaming and hollering like those people in his car"
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7670818 11/24/19 01:35 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Including hunting and fishing, 5 times tpwd, 3 by New Mexico fish and game, and 3 times in Alaska. I was legal every time.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7672814 11/26/19 02:14 PM
foxrocket Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Once. Dove hunting with uncles and cousins. Had my license and safety course on hand. Didn't hit a thing anyway.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7673602 11/27/19 04:54 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Ive only been checked once. A dirt county road runs down the side of my property. One of my stands in the middle of my property, Ill drive the cart and park on the side of the road. He was there waiting on me as I came out. Just checked my license and everything. Told him to come back often as we have had a problem before with people on the county road.

[Linked Image]
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7677899 12/02/19 07:43 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Game warden came into camp this past Saturday. Came in with a trainee. First time in several years to see him. He found the place to be neat and orderly. The hunters were friendly and receptive. He heard the cooler running and went to look within. We asked if he wanted to review the log. He did. We quickly provided it. He saw everything in order and we told him not to hesitate to stop by again.

Nice guy, but bet we seen him some years from now.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7678572 12/03/19 02:25 PM
H
H2O Seeker Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
H
2X - Once fishing the intercoastal when I was young. Once in West Texas on a dove hunt.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7683362 12/08/19 03:27 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Never in 10 years of hunting and never in 20 years of fishing.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7683490 12/08/19 06:40 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Too many to count over my 60 years of hunting and fishing. They come into our lease camp couple of times per year.

Funny how over all those years I have never been ticketed nor run into a GW who was disrespectful to me - Just like LEO's, I am always respectful towards them and they in turn treat me with respect

You can't fix stupid
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: tlk] #7683786 12/09/19 12:57 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk
Too many to count over my 60 years of hunting and fishing. They come into our lease camp couple of times per year.

Funny how over all those years I have never been ticketed nor run into a GW who was disrespectful to me - Just like LEO's, I am always respectful towards them and they in turn treat me with respect

I will just add this - when I am pulled over for a traffic stop (which is not very often) I stop, roll down my window, place both hands on the top of my steering wheel, and wait for the LEO to come to my window. I answer any questions respectfully - Yes Sir and No Sir. Amazing how many warnings I get as opposed to tickets.

My son has been an LEO for 13 years and I have gone with him riding out for years. Amazing how stupid/inconsiderate/combative some people are I have seen while with him - GW and LEO's are human - treat them respectfully and most every one of them will treat you the same. Be a turd and they will treat you the same - pretty simple IMO.

Leo's video everything - I have been with my son when he pulled someone over for rolling a stop sign. They argue that they DID come to a full stop and tell him they are going to report him to his superiors. They show up at the department and my son and his superior go into a room with the person getting the ticket and watch the dash cam video.The video shows them clearly rolling the stop sign - they stand up, apologize, and go pay their fine. No GW's and LEO's are not perfect - but overall they do one hell of a job based on what they have to deal with each and every day - God Bless them

End of my rant

Last edited by tlk; 12/09/19 01:05 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7683862 12/09/19 02:24 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
It’s just a lose-lose scenario when LEOs are disrespectful and bullying. Especially when kids are around. Why in the heck would anyone want kids to grow up fearing officers and thinking of them as someone out to “get” them?

Be nice (or at least respectful) until given a reason not to be. This ain’t Russia and the citizens are not the enemy. 2cents

So I am just curious - Who should be nice and respectful first? The GW/LEO or the person they are checking on? Again not all LEO's are perfect but overall most all of them are just doing their job and not out to "get" anyone.

How have I been hunting for 60 years and driving for 52 years and NEVER had a bad experience with any GW/LEO? I just find it strange how two people could have totally diverse experiences? Do not know about you but I have done nothing but show respect to all law enforcement officers and I have had zero issues. How does that happen?

You can't fix stupid
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: tlk] #7683902 12/09/19 03:18 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tlk

So I am just curious - Who should be nice and respectful first? The GW/LEO or the person they are checking on? Again not all LEO's are perfect but overall most all of them are just doing their job and not out to "get" anyone.

How have I been hunting for 60 years and driving for 52 years and NEVER had a bad experience with any GW/LEO? I just find it strange how two people could have totally diverse experiences? Do not know about you but I have done nothing but show respect to all law enforcement officers and I have had zero issues. How does that happen?

Same here. I'm 66 and have never been treated poorly by either. Plus, I have definitely received more warnings than tickets!

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: tlk] #7683911 12/09/19 03:36 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by tlk

If you don’t think there are some disrespectful LEOs on power-kicks out there, you are naive in the extreme. Do you have a television? Do you read news on your computer? There are some bad LEOs out there. Always have been.

I show respect at all times to LEOs. I have both had and seen bad experiences with LEOs. You can call me (and everyone else who posts their poor experiences) a liar if you want. I don’t care.

There is, however, a difference between respect and worship to the point of where an entire occupation can do no wrong and anyone who says otherwise must be a liar. You speak to me like I’m a 13 year old, but IMO it’s time for you to grow up, wake up, and get in the real world.

In the real world there are lots of fine LEOs out there - and some a-holes with a gun and a badge. For you to not recognize that and then talk to me as if I’m the one who’s out of touch is laughable.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7683942 12/09/19 04:34 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I've never had anything but positive interactions with game wardens. My experience has been, that those who have strong enough issues with law enforcement to publicly speak poorly of them, are criminals who have been caught from time to time and are sore losers.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: ntxtrapper] #7683944 12/09/19 04:43 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I've never had anything but positive interactions with game wardens. My experience has been, that those who have strong enough issues with law enforcement to publicly speak poorly of them, are criminals who have been caught from time to time and are sore losers.

Hmm.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7684002 12/09/19 12:13 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

If you don’t think there are some disrespectful LEOs on power-kicks out there, you are naive in the extreme. Do you have a television? Do you read news on your computer? There are some bad LEOs out there. Always have been.

I show respect at all times to LEOs. I have both had and seen bad experiences with LEOs. You can call me (and everyone else who posts their poor experiences) a liar if you want. I don’t care.

There is, however, a difference between respect and worship to the point of where an entire occupation can do no wrong and anyone who says otherwise must be a liar. You speak to me like I’m a 13 year old, but IMO it’s time for you to grow up, wake up, and get in the real world.

In the real world there are lots of fine LEOs out there - and some a-holes with a gun and a badge. For you to not recognize that and then talk to me as if I’m the one who’s out of touch is laughable.

I think you missed the part where I said "not all LEO's are perfect" - I am around LEO's regularly since my son is one. I know many of them personally and overall they are fine, brave people who serve and protect.

You can't fix stupid
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7684075 12/09/19 02:00 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
It is my impression, based on my experiences, that most GW's and other LEO's are decent people. That reduces the odds of bad interactions - especially if the encounter starts off on the right foot.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: ntxtrapper] #7684102 12/09/19 02:19 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Yeah, well I’m a 55 year old financially secure attorney married 30 years to the same woman with 2 wonderful adult children who has hunted all over North America and am not and never have been a criminal.

And I’ve encountered several overbearing LEOs who were disrespectful and sometimes downright rude to me right out of the gate - before I even opened my mouth. I’ve never been ticketed for a game law violation.

I know some great GWs too, just for the record.

The point is, just because your experiences have been fine doesn’t mean those of us who have had some poor experiences are criminals or liars.

Re: How many times have you been checked by GW [Re: Mr. T.] #7684125 12/09/19 02:42 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have if memory serves me been checked one time. This was in my 20's. Myself and two friends were dove hunting near Center Point. It was a maize field that had been harvested. There were more doves than we had ever seen. Shot over our limit. Did not realize it until we got ready to leave the field. Put the legal amount in our bags and the extras in a grocery sack. Leo was last in line walking back to the truck. A GW who actually later in life became a BILto me stepped out of the woods in front of us. He checked our license, doves and made sure the shotguns would hold no more than 3 shells. When the GW stepped out into the trail Leo had dropped the bag with the extra doves. The GW asked what was in the bag that Leo had dropped. Leo said it was some extra doves he had shot. The GW then explained to us that each extra dove above the bag limit was a separate offence and we could be fined up to $200 for each offence. He then asked again who shot the extra doves and we said we all did. He then just cited us for exceeding the bag limit which was $50 for each of us. Very good of him and it taught us all a lesson which I personally have never forgot.

Last edited by don k; 12/09/19 02:43 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide