Print Thread
Just getting started...need some advice, please! #7667787 11/20/19 06:12 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
So, I am ready to make the plunge next month and get some reloading gear. I'm looking to get all the equipment I need to get started. I've seen some Hornady reloading kits and so far, that was my idea of a starting point. However, I am new to this, so I would love to have some suggestions from you all.

I will mainly be using this for the following rounds:
280AI, 7-08AI, 30-06, .270 and maybe a 44-40 & 6.5creed down the line.

And some of the following: 9mm, .45, .357, .38

I have some die sets for the 280AI and 30-06, .270, and I think I have one for the .45

I also have some Hornady Bullet/Head Space Comparator Kits, Lyman flash hole Uniformer, Hornady Match Grade Bushing .308 (for the 280AI), but that's it as far as my equipment, to date

I am not going to be producing a ton of ammo, at least at first. Maybe reloading 50-100 rounds at a time.

I do want to have a good scale for precision powder measurements, that I do know.

So, with that basic info, and knowing I would prefer to stay in the $300-$1,000 range for everything starting off, what should I go with??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
George

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7667882 11/20/19 07:37 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Here are some lessons learned from my starting recently:

- i got the Hornady kit that had the minimum amount of thing needs to fully reload. While I'm not saying Hornady itself, but these kits featuring a single stage press was a great starting point for me. The tools I bought were mostly in addition to, as opposed to replacing something that came with the kit. The only things I don't use are the powder thrower and the press's priming tool.
- of the "other equipment" not found in my kit, I feel like the RCBS chargemaster was the single largest time saver. I know some people want more accuracy and consistency in their powder throwing, but I just use the chargemaster as is and have good to great results.
- if you go with a Hornady system, then I really like the bushing system. The drawback is that you have a buy a bushing for every die.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7667893 11/20/19 07:40 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Best advice I would give is in regards to case prep. I never realized how much this affected accuracy. Be meticulous. make sure all cases are trimmed properly. Close is not good enough. As far as case trimmers, do not try to save $ by using the Lee case trimmer. I made this mistake.

Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7668291 11/21/19 01:24 AM
J
jbd76266 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
George, take a look at the stickys at the top of this section. Some good basic info there. Take a peek st 6mmbr too. Equipment suggestions will be all over the place as to be expected. I'd encourage you to read up what you can and dont go to fast, too quick...ie maybe reload for just 1 caliber till you get down the process of reloading and load develop.
Keep an eye out in classifieds whether here or other outdoor sites. Some good deals pop up fairly often on equip as many people start out hot n heavy only to find they dont have time or ultimately the desire so they offload what they bought

Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7668314 11/21/19 01:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That many cartridges to load for, might as well start out with the RIGHT press. And that is the Forster Co-Ax. Changing dies is two seconds, and not a thousandth of die setting was lost with Hornady lock rings on every die.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7668337 11/21/19 02:01 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
remember
buy once, cry once

Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7668448 11/21/19 04:12 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I bought that set and I think the only thing I have left is the plastic case tray and the shell holder.

I'd suggest a RockChucker if you want to go cheap but understand if you get serious you will most likely end up with the co-Ax. But you'll always have a use to have the chucker around.

Trimmer - go with a Forrester Original, easy to use and will do a fine job. Until you upgrade to the Giruard.

Calipers - not sure, I've bought Mitutoyo and the Pittsburgh from Harford freight have worked just as well.

RCBS Chargemaster lite as the minimum for throwing powder charge.

Headspace guages to measure your dies are doing what you think they are.

RCBS universal hand primer

Hornady One Shot

RCBS or Lyman case prep center

Be thinking about your annealing strategy, you don't need that right away but you get serious you'll either want a Giruard or AMP annealer.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but that should get you pretty well started.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7668945 11/21/19 06:20 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7679959 12/04/19 11:38 PM
3x8 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
On the 44-40 buy good dies RCBS or Redding dies I try lees did not work well at all

Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7680001 12/05/19 12:24 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Get a equipment list from Jason and go back up there for a lesson!

Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: RedSnake] #7680116 12/05/19 02:13 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedSnake

^^Some phone calls, text messages, and an email. Three days later I get another text "you ought to see all the damn boxes UPS brought!"

Maybe a week later, the .280 A.I. was shooting 1/4 MOA on a hand load.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7680287 12/05/19 05:38 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
roflmao I bet that would be a little shocking wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: J.G.] #7680879 12/05/19 10:00 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

^^Some phone calls, text messages, and an email. Three days later I get another text "you ought to see all the damn boxes UPS brought!"

With Tony’s craftsmanship and JGs instruction you can take it as far down the rabbit hole as you dare to go. 1/4 moa is just scratching the surface. How do you feel about 1/16 MOA!

[Linked Image]

Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: RedSnake] #7685288 12/10/19 05:24 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

You did such a wonderful job! AMAZING rifle and ammo!!!!

With Tony’s craftsmanship and JGs instruction you can take it as far down the rabbit hole as you dare to go. 1/4 moa is just scratching the surface. How do you feel about 1/16 MOA!

[Linked Image]

WOW!!!! Nice shooting!

I trusted Jason with the build and I have been extremely pleased with everything along the way! (Red Snake - I appreciate your time and input on the phone calls and emails, as well!)

The rifle build and shooting class was step 1. Reloading is step 2. I found a great deal on a Co-Ax and picked it up. Autotrickler V3 set up arrives next month. Buy Once Cry Once is right, Gary! I've been planning this out for 4 years now...saving up, selling off mediocre rifles, pistols and scopes...I want quality stuff I can depend on for a long time, and I want to get as precise as I can, which starts with the right equipment. As Jason said though...I won't have any excuses...if I miss, it's the Indian, and not the arrow!

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 12/10/19 05:29 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: 3x8] #7685289 12/10/19 05:24 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 3x8
On the 44-40 buy good dies RCBS or Redding dies I try lees did not work well at all

Will check those out, thanks!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Just getting started...need some advice, please! [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7695715 12/22/19 01:57 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
So, I am ready to make the plunge next month and get some reloading gear. I'm looking to get all the equipment I need to get started. I've seen some Hornady reloading kits and so far, that was my idea of a starting point. However, I am new to this, so I would love to have some suggestions from you all.

I will mainly be using this for the following rounds:
280AI, 7-08AI, 30-06, .270 and maybe a 44-40 & 6.5creed down the line.

And some of the following: 9mm, .45, .357, .38

I have some die sets for the 280AI and 30-06, .270, and I think I have one for the .45

I also have some Hornady Bullet/Head Space Comparator Kits, Lyman flash hole Uniformer, Hornady Match Grade Bushing .308 (for the 280AI), but that's it as far as my equipment, to date

I am not going to be producing a ton of ammo, at least at first. Maybe reloading 50-100 rounds at a time.

I do want to have a good scale for precision powder measurements, that I do know.

So, with that basic info, and knowing I would prefer to stay in the $300-$1,000 range for everything starting off, what should I go with??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
George

A trickler should be added for the rifle rounds. A lot of the good powders are extruded stick types that don't flow well from a measure. Besides, you can add a single grain to make sure all rounds are charged the same.

Spend the money on a couple good case trays. That way you can keep the rounds you've already completed a step with separate i.e. cases you've already charged.

Lee makes good dies, and shouldn't be overlooked because of price. The pistol 3 die sets are a great bargain. No need to case lube either.

I don't really buy into the need for spending gobs of money on dies, unless you're shooting world class matches where they might improve accuracy by fractions of a mm. I'm still not convinced they make a difference. I use Hornady, Lee, and RCBS dies. I like RCBS the least because I don't think their method of using a screwdriver and wrench to adjust is as precise as the others I use. It's still a great product though. I feel like the knob twist adjustments on the others are better.

I'm guessing you're interested in which powders too. Some powders are universally good. For instance, Win 231/HP-38 (same powder with two different names) is well regarded for 9mm. Win WST is the same for 45 ACP.

There's a wealth of knowledge on here and other places online, so don't be scared. Reloading isn't hard at all, and can be relaxing (unless you own the twin to my 30-06 that I still haven't found a good load for). Biggest safety tip I can give is that if you load a round and think something is off; pull the bullet and start over. It could save your life or body part.

Last edited by tenyearsgone; 12/22/19 02:09 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide