Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Etiquette [Re: yakinthebox] #7664779 11/17/19 10:53 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by yakinthebox
Don't blow your kazoo at ducks that are working someones spread! Drives me nuts!!! Also, people blowing on their calls nonstop even when there are no birds within 10000000000k miles!!!

This happened all morning today. Total joke.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Etiquette [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7665256 11/18/19 12:46 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
When this thread was posted I thought man, I haven't had a lot of these problems in a really long time.

Guess I jinxed myself. Had a group walk up on us at literally legal shooting time Saturday morning. We both entered through private property. We had been set up since about 4:45. Guys set up less than 60 yards from us.....literally a mile of easily walkable and better hunting spots - not a single other person around for miles....and they set up within 60 yards. First I said hey - no response. Then louder I said hey man - we are set up here - as they got spotlighted. No response. The way they set up the ducks would land between our spreads for the most part - with the layout of that spot they either I'd be shooting at them or they'd be shooting at me...luckily there weren't many ducks.

So we proceeded to talk as loudly as possible and to be annoying as possible (within reason) playing the kazoo. Not my thing, but oh well.

If they would have acknowledged that I was speaking to them I would have either invited them to join us or explained to them that setting up there was going to ruin their hunt as well as ours and to just go about another 100 yards down and we'd both have better luck...but they couldn't even speak after being spoken to...people suck.

Re: Etiquette [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7665291 11/18/19 01:29 PM
O
outfitter1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
My biggest peeve is guys who click their safety off before the birds ever commit or start shooting before giving everyone a chance. I Had one guy who did this even after being told not to 3 times and he never hunted with us again.

Re: Etiquette [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7665973 11/18/19 10:55 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Be Safe
Be Sober

Firearms and Alcohol do not mix. I got invited on a deer hunt with a buddy from college on a nice lease in South Texas his family had had for over 20 years. The first night every single one of them was snot slinging drunk. One of them pulled out a Remington 700 BDL and started playing show and tell. I packed my stuff and left.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Etiquette [Re: Cochise] #7666568 11/19/19 03:31 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Cochise
When this thread was posted I thought man, I haven't had a lot of these problems in a really long time.

Guess I jinxed myself. Had a group walk up on us at literally legal shooting time Saturday morning. We both entered through private property. We had been set up since about 4:45. Guys set up less than 60 yards from us.....literally a mile of easily walkable and better hunting spots - not a single other person around for miles....and they set up within 60 yards. First I said hey - no response. Then louder I said hey man - we are set up here - as they got spotlighted. No response. The way they set up the ducks would land between our spreads for the most part - with the layout of that spot they either I'd be shooting at them or they'd be shooting at me...luckily there weren't many ducks.

So we proceeded to talk as loudly as possible and to be annoying as possible (within reason) playing the kazoo. Not my thing, but oh well.

If they would have acknowledged that I was speaking to them I would have either invited them to join us or explained to them that setting up there was going to ruin their hunt as well as ours and to just go about another 100 yards down and we'd both have better luck...but they couldn't even speak after being spoken to...people suck.

That’s exactly what I deal with. It makes no sense to me that “hunters” don’t understand that they’re screwing other people as themselves by setting up that close. The birds don’t know what to do, and then it becomes a calling competition, which further confuses the birds, and then it escalates to frustrated “hunters” taking ridiculous shots because the birds aren’t working.

It’s extremely frustrating and it just doesn’t make sense to me. I usually end up hunting with people I meet out there because I’m trying to mitigate the exact scenario you described. 9/10 times, all it does is allow the next group to set up where the guys now hunting with me were going to go. I have met some very nice guys though, and am growing a rolodex of people I’ve met and would hunt with again or can talk shop with.

I’d still like to kill birds, though, which hasn’t happened yet this year in three hunts.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Etiquette [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7666595 11/19/19 03:56 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by Cochise

That’s exactly what I deal with. It makes no sense to me that “hunters” don’t understand that they’re screwing other people as themselves by setting up that close. The birds don’t know what to do, and then it becomes a calling competition, which further confuses the birds, and then it escalates to frustrated “hunters” taking ridiculous shots because the birds aren’t working.

It’s extremely frustrating and it just doesn’t make sense to me. I usually end up hunting with people I meet out there because I’m trying to mitigate the exact scenario you described. 9/10 times, all it does is allow the next group to set up where the guys now hunting with me were going to go. I have met some very nice guys though, and am growing a rolodex of people I’ve met and would hunt with again or can talk shop with.

I’d still like to kill birds, though, which hasn’t happened yet this year in three hunts.

I certainly can't wrap my mind around it. This particular spot is only accessible by boat unless you have access through private property (which we luckily do...makes it super easy...and I guess those guys did too). Literally about 4 groups hunt about a 1.5 mile of stretch of shoreline. Never had a problem. Time to bring out the kayak since I'll be hunting solo the next two weekends anyway. Makes me appreciate that I've got private water to hunt come December. Part of me is tempted to go set up in their "spot"...but I'm not that petty. I'll just go to my other spots that actually require effort.

Re: Etiquette [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7670168 11/23/19 01:11 AM
B
Ben Lilly Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Always say you hunt on public land.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide