Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kayak duck blind #7663230 11/15/19 11:11 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
So I have a 10.5 old town top water 106 kayak that I use for fishing all the time. So now that I want to try out and dabble into the world of duck hunting I wanted to see if there are any good blinds for that size? I know its kinda of small but when I fish I don't need a 12ft yak. So does anyone recommend a blind for it or should DIY one? the color of kayak is dark green but also some bright green so I need to get it covered if I want to hunt with it..

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663239 11/15/19 11:31 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
There’s pull over camo covers for your kayak. That’s all I use, and throw some sticks and grass on it. Just don’t sit in open water

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: rickym] #7663259 11/15/19 11:55 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by rickym
There’s pull over camo covers for your kayak. That’s all I use, and throw some sticks and grass on it. Just don’t sit in open water

Do you have a link to one or a name so I can look it up?

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663299 11/16/19 12:45 AM
Duckhuntermann Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
There are plenty of ad-ons for a kayak available, but I would use some camo netting and brush it up with native vegetation. [Linked Image]
Found a photo from the web that shows the concept but not brushed up.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663314 11/16/19 01:10 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by NeKro

Do you have a link to one or a name so I can look it up?

Last one I bought was made by Magellan [Linked Image]

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663333 11/16/19 01:47 AM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N

Last edited by NeKro; 11/16/19 02:57 AM.
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663424 11/16/19 03:49 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
That thing looks awesome, I could see spending the money if you primarily hunt out of a kayak. We hunt out of them once or twice a year and other hunts we usually have one nearby for fetching birds. Paid $15 a pop for ours on end of season clearance.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663445 11/16/19 04:41 AM
Y
yakinthebox Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I have the Ambush from YakGear! It hides the kayak very well and there are plenty of loops for stubble. I haven't actually hunted out of it yet. I've only used it for concealment purposes so I can't comment on the functionality. I know that when I had the doors open, they would hang down in the water and get soaked and I could see that being annoying if you were actually using it as a layout blind.

I plan to use it next week on a hunt as an actual layout. I'll update after that...

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready!
-Anonymous
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: rickym] #7663685 11/16/19 04:53 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
That thing looks awesome, I could see spending the money if you primarily hunt out of a kayak. We hunt out of them once or twice a year and other hunts we usually have one nearby for fetching birds. Paid $15 a pop for ours on end of season clearance.

I have never hunted out of a kayak lol. But I do plan on hunting out of it since Id like to paddle out to some spots since ill most trying to hunt out in public land. Plan on using my American Express points and get it for "free" eek

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: yakinthebox] #7663688 11/16/19 04:57 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by yakinthebox
I have the Ambush from YakGear! It hides the kayak very well and there are plenty of loops for stubble. I haven't actually hunted out of it yet. I've only used it for concealment purposes so I can't comment on the functionality. I know that when I had the doors open, they would hang down in the water and get soaked and I could see that being annoying if you were actually using it as a layout blind.

I plan to use it next week on a hunt as an actual layout. I'll update after that...

Thanks for the information. I have hear about the doors hanging down and if there getting wet than I'm assuming Ill be getting wet too if I have them closed. Plus I have a 10.5ft kayak and there are made for 12ft yaks. Ill probably have to synch one of the ends to get a more snug fit so im not dragging the extra cloth behind.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663727 11/16/19 06:10 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Or maybe just get a lay-down blind and use that instead and just hide my kayak...

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663776 11/16/19 07:24 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This might work for you. Grass, zip ties, and these things you can find them on the net...They come with peel off sticky, it holds good, but if it comes unstuck glue back with marine adhesive.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663838 11/16/19 08:43 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
that might be a good option. also like the sticky option too

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7663875 11/16/19 09:36 PM
M
Mad Max Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I'm still trying to figure out a comfortable, safe, and efficient way to transport a reasonable number of duck decoys in a 10' kayak.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: Mad Max] #7663918 11/16/19 10:28 PM
S
samsamthemex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I got an Ascend H12 back in July. While I can carry most everything I need, layout blind, 3 dozen decoys, gun, blind bag, dry bag with extra clothes, jackets…it will be a lil sketchy when it gets windy and trying to cut down the weight I recently got a jet sled jr. I took it out to tow behind my kayak with 3dz decoys and in the wind it would take on to much water and sink. So today I bought the cover that goes over it and hopefully be able to keep the waves out when the water gets choppy. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend so I can see how it works with the cover.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: samsamthemex] #7664119 11/17/19 02:10 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by samsamthemex
I got an Ascend H12 back in July. While I can carry most everything I need, layout blind, 3 dozen decoys, gun, blind bag, dry bag with extra clothes, jackets…it will be a lil sketchy when it gets windy and trying to cut down the weight I recently got a jet sled jr. I took it out to tow behind my kayak with 3dz decoys and in the wind it would take on to much water and sink. So today I bought the cover that goes over it and hopefully be able to keep the waves out when the water gets choppy. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend so I can see how it works with the cover.

We use the larger version from Cabela's. Don't even notice it behind us. If were stashing kayaks we use it to hold our stuff while shooting.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: jnd59] #7664687 11/17/19 08:42 PM
S
samsamthemex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jnd59

We use the larger version from Cabela's. Don't even notice it behind us. If were stashing kayaks we use it to hold our stuff while shooting.

Are you using the cover when towing?

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7664768 11/17/19 10:44 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don’t know anything about kayak blinds, but that’s a nice kayak. I got the topwater 120 PDL back in September and I love it.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: Mad Max] #7664830 11/17/19 11:48 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Mad Max
I'm still trying to figure out a comfortable, safe, and efficient way to transport a reasonable number of duck decoys in a 10' kayak.

In the water behind you

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7664983 11/18/19 01:47 AM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
I don’t know anything about kayak blinds, but that’s a nice kayak. I got the topwater 120 PDL back in September and I love it.

It really is I love my topwater. I just don't know if I should maybe do just a laydown blind instead as almost of kayak blinds are for 12ft kayak. I can just transport it in my yak and maybe get some Camo blankets to hide the kayak. idk but hunting from a kayak looks a lot of fun.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: samsamthemex] #7665131 11/18/19 03:53 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jnd59

Are you using the cover when towing?

No. But where we hunt we don't run into a lot of wave action.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7666255 11/19/19 03:48 AM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N
I don't know if I should contie with getting a blind for try kayak or try getting lay down bling and just use my kayak for getting to spots. I know I am asking a lot but I have never hunted for ducks and trying to buy everything one time and not how keep spending money later on.

Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7666535 11/19/19 03:13 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

It really is I love my topwater. I just don't know if I should maybe do just a laydown blind instead as almost of kayak blinds are for 12ft kayak. I can just transport it in my yak and maybe get some Camo blankets to hide the kayak. idk but hunting from a kayak looks a lot of fun.

That would probably be the way I do it if I ever use mine to hunt out of. Might be lighter than adding something to the entire boat, but I don’t know how much the blinds weigh. Even some camo netting might be enough if you can pull it far enough out of the water where you hunt.

Do you have the pedal drive? If so, that might be another reason to go layout and blanket over the boat. The pedal drive takes up a lot of useable space right in front of you and would be harder to hide because it will be propped up when you’re on the bank.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: NeKro] #7666554 11/19/19 03:20 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't know if I should contie with getting a blind for try kayak or try getting lay down bling and just use my kayak for getting to spots. I know I am asking a lot but I have never hunted for ducks and trying to buy everything one time and not how keep spending money later on.

Just get a layout and some camo netting and try to pull the boat as far up onto the bank as possible, or park the boat down the bank a ways away from where you hunt.

I don’t remember the weight capacity of 106 but I would take that into consideration when deciding between a full boat blind or a layout. Especially when you’re talking about all the clothes you’ll be wearing, waders, gun, blind bag, ammo and decoys. I have a layout that folds up like a lawn chair and doesn’t weigh more than 10 pounds probably. And I imagine the layout will be cheaper than a full boat blind, but I could be wrong.

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak duck blind [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7667712 11/20/19 05:24 PM
N
NeKro Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
N

That would probably be the way I do it if I ever use mine to hunt out of. Might be lighter than adding something to the entire boat, but I don’t know how much the blinds weigh. Even some camo netting might be enough if you can pull it far enough out of the water where you hunt.

Do you have the pedal drive? If so, that might be another reason to go layout and blanket over the boat. The pedal drive takes up a lot of useable space right in front of you and would be harder to hide because it will be propped up when you’re on the bank.

Not its not a pedal drive. I figure I could just pull the boat up on the back cover it with some Camo netting and then just use the letdown from the bank. I could then use the boat to retrieve and ducks....

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide