Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7640159 10/23/19 08:31 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
After the third doe I cut the top out of mine with bolt cutters.

That's what we are doing this weekend to our old traps. Started building Circle or "6" pen traps instead of the normal hog traps to keep the deer from getting trapped.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7640560 10/24/19 03:32 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I’m assuming those that are cutting the tops off aren’t doing this on 4x4x8 traps. If you do the big hogs will climb out. This would only be a good option on a circle pen.

Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7655118 11/07/19 06:24 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I caught a little buck in my hog trap once. Once! that's all it took. I felt terrible for that little guy. He busted his nose all up trying to get out.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7655163 11/07/19 07:09 PM
JimBridger Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I sprayed my trap door and frame with WD40 as suggested by bigdave, deer ate all the corn scattered around the trap but didn’t touch the corn inside. The pile of corn in the trap sat for three days with deer visiting the area both morning and evening each day.
No hogs yet but I expect that will change once the wheat starts sprouting in the surrounding fields.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7662489 11/15/19 03:48 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappybear
I sprayed my trap door and frame with WD40 as suggested by bigdave, deer ate all the corn scattered around the trap but didn’t touch the corn inside. The pile of corn in the trap sat for three days with deer visiting the area both morning and evening each day.
No hogs yet but I expect that will change once the wheat starts sprouting in the surrounding fields.

Now add (a little bit) of diesel to the corn in the trap. Diesel will act as an attractive to the hogs.
You can put the diesel at the front of the trap just inside the door and then some at the back of the trap.
It does not take much at all; about a measuring cup worth.(1/2 in front and 1/2 in back) Good luck

Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: krmitchell] #7662605 11/15/19 12:35 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by krmitchell
I’m assuming those that are cutting the tops off aren’t doing this on 4x4x8 traps. If you do the big hogs will climb out. This would only be a good option on a circle pen.

I built traps for a living and one of my big sellers was a "deer proof" trap. A 4x8 with open top but with a rail around the top, hogs have short legs and can not escape over that rail but deer, turkeys, exotics were able to jump out.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7662728 11/15/19 02:42 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

I built traps for a living and one of my big sellers was a "deer proof" trap. A 4x8 with open top but with a rail around the top, hogs have short legs and can not escape over that rail but deer, turkeys, exotics were able to jump out.

That sounds like it may work. I watched a hog literally climb out of an open top trap and on a different day a pen made of hog panels. Looked like a human sticking its legs in the holes of the panels and climbing right out. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. Also had a big boar bust out of the top of my trap that had a top but wasn't bolted together very tightly. Couldn't believe it made it out but I'm guessing he did the same thing and climbed out once he busted the top off.

I caught up with him the next weekend though. Guess he thought he could get out again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by krmitchell; 11/15/19 02:50 PM.
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7662777 11/15/19 03:25 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Would love more info on how you built that trap Simple!

Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7664371 11/17/19 02:24 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

I have a 7 panel, 4ft tall, electric gated, open top pen. I have hogs go in; I set the gate they eat everything lay down for a while get up walk over and climb out. People say once a hog has been in a trap they wont go back in WRONG I caught the same hog 2 nights in a row and he climbed out both nights. Now my trap is a large 7 panel pen. 4ft tall is not tall enough on an open top pen if a large trap. I seen plenty of hogs climb out of a 4ft panel. I have pipe on top blocking all corners and they go right over in the middle of a straight panel. Now a 150 pound pig I have not had one make it over yet, they get 3/4 of the way up in the corners and the pipe puts them back in. Put the diesel and wd40 and deer wont go in. Problem solved

Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: krmitchell] #7664622 11/17/19 06:48 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

That sounds like it may work. I watched a hog literally climb out of an open top trap and on a different day a pen made of hog panels. Looked like a human sticking its legs in the holes of the panels and climbing right out. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. Also had a big boar bust out of the top of my trap that had a top but wasn't bolted together very tightly. Couldn't believe it made it out but I'm guessing he did the same thing and climbed out once he busted the top off.

I caught up with him the next weekend though. Guess he thought he could get out again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice Trap

Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: bigdavehunting] #7664638 11/17/19 07:24 PM
JimBridger Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Big Dave, your advise on spraying WD 40 around the door worked very well. Deer fed around the trap all week, but none went inside the trap. I caught a nice Sow in the trap on the 4th day it was set. I’ll refresh to WD 40 when I rebait the trap. Thanks for the advise.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7664728 11/17/19 09:53 PM
A
activescrape Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
We have the standard 4X4X8' trap. Caught deer, put rebar down low and still caught deer. Finally we took all the trip wire etc off, laid the trap on it's side where gravity kept the door closed. We just bait through the upside and put a rock under the door to hold it up a few inches. The pigs just push their way in but we have never caught another deer since then.The heard the pigs push on the door the tighter it closes. When we aren't there we bungee the door open.

"It's not dyin' I'm talkin' about Woodrow, it's livin'!"
Re: Deer in Hog Trap [Re: JimBridger] #7666486 11/19/19 02:35 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappybear
Big Dave, your advise on spraying WD 40 around the door worked very well. Deer fed around the trap all week, but none went inside the trap. I caught a nice Sow in the trap on the 4th day it was set. I’ll refresh to WD 40 when I rebait the trap. Thanks for the advise.

Thanks, that is what has worked for me and many others I have shared with. You might try the diesel on the corn. I was hesitant at the start to try diesel, but it works great, a splash at the front and at the back of the trap
works as an attractant.
The smell stays for a good while. I will ware gloves or use a bottle of scent away to spray down where I touch the trap with my hands for cover scent. Good luck and keep catching them hogs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide