Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Hawg #7664138 11/17/19 02:35 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
This boy still lives because I didn’t want to blow my deer hunt, so I just shot him with my Nikon P1000. He’s a regular though so he’ll get his just desserts soon enough. At least 200 may be pushing 300 lbs. - it’s always hard to judge when they are by themselves in the open.

That’s just a phone photo of the camera viewfinder BTW. The actual photo is much better.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664147 11/17/19 02:56 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Look at the shoulders on him.

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664151 11/17/19 03:00 AM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
That’s a perfect example of a “big nasty”... rifle

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664152 11/17/19 03:00 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I would guess he's well over 200. I'm after one on our place that looks just like that one. The chest is so deep it looks like his front legs are about 6" long.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664155 11/17/19 03:09 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Hope you get him. up

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664165 11/17/19 03:23 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Find a Friday and I’ll bring thermal

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Brother in-law] #7664179 11/17/19 03:47 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Find a Friday and I’ll bring thermal

I will bring a pro with me grin just sayin....

[Linked Image]
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664250 11/17/19 06:19 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
You have more restraint than I do.

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664285 11/17/19 11:43 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
No hunter will be welcome where I hunt that passes killing hogs......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664288 11/17/19 11:51 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
This boy still lives because I didn’t want to blow my deer hunt, so I just shot him with my Nikon P1000. He’s a regular though so he’ll get his just desserts soon enough. At least 200 may be pushing 300 lbs. - it’s always hard to judge when they are by themselves in the open.

That’s just a phone photo of the camera viewfinder BTW. The actual photo is much better.

[Linked Image]

Hope you get him. up

confused2 NP I talk to myself sometimes too rofl

texas flag

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7664312 11/17/19 01:00 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Well, since it’s my place and you won’t be hunting there, I reckon it doesn’t matter what you think.

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664334 11/17/19 01:50 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Well, since it’s my place and you won’t be hunting there, I reckon it doesn’t matter what you think.

roflmao

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664362 11/17/19 02:18 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

That’s fact because you couldn’t pay me to hunt there.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664526 11/17/19 05:26 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Big hog! hope you get him!!!

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664555 11/17/19 05:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
That hog is big does not look that old.
This year I broke my steadfast rule of not shooting at hogs or coyotes in prime hunting time with deer in front of me...3 times so far in the last 10 days. I will let a single coyote walk but when 3 crossed the ROW that was enough. I got two of them and still had deer come in after that. Couple of days later had a hog on the tank dam about 270 yards away and he kept moving back and forth, that was enough of that. Had bucks and does come in 10-15 minutes after the shot. Two evening ago I had 12-15 hogs on the same tank dam....had 12-15 deer in between them and me on the oats and a few more the other direction on corn, so when 3 hogs were lined up like a loaf of bread...I sent a round their way right over the top of a bunch of deer. A few deer scattered and most never moved a muscle, just kept eating. The deer were more spooked by scattering and running hogs than the shot. The hogs and coyotes are so bad this year, I am not worried about ruining a hunt with a shot or two, the deer will almost always run for the brush when the hogs appear.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Big Hawg [Re: stxranchman] #7664569 11/17/19 06:01 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by stxranchman
This year I broke my steadfast rule of not shooting at hogs or coyotes in prime hunting time with deer in front of me...3 times so far in the last 10 days. I will let a single coyote walk but when 3 crossed the ROW that was enough. I got two of them and still had deer come in after that. Couple of days later had a hog on the tank dam about 270 yards away and he kept moving back and forth, that was enough of that. Had bucks and does come in 10-15 minutes after the shot. Two evening ago I had 12-15 hogs on the same tank dam....had 12-15 deer in between them and me on the oats and a few more the other direction on corn, so when 3 hogs were lined up like a loaf of bread...I sent a round their way right over the top of a bunch of deer. A few deer scattered and most never moved a muscle, just kept eating. The deer were more spooked by scattering and running hogs than the shot. The hogs and coyotes are so bad this year, I am not worried about ruining a hunt with a shot or two, the deer will almost always run for the brush when the hogs appear.

I will sometimes let a lone coyote go its way during 'prime time'...but hogs always get shot. They have ruined too many hunts of mine and just knowing the destruction they ARE going to do...is enough for me to pick killing one (or more) of them over the opportunity to see deer. It is a self imposed rule...but I follow it religiously.

Flintknapper 22:18

"Thou shalt not suffer a pig to live".

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/17/19 06:05 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Big Hawg [Re: flintknapper] #7664574 11/17/19 06:08 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by stxranchman

I will sometimes let a lone coyote go its way during 'prime time'...but hogs always get shot. They have ruined too many hunts of mine and just knowing the destruction they ARE going to do...is enough for me to pick killing one (or more) of them over the opportunity to see deer.

I hate a hog

I rarely see a hog in the mornings and have shot 2 this year so far. That is how bad they are. I see more of them right before dark when I am about to get out, so I shoot them every time I see them. I hope the deer will run so they are not seeing me exit the blind. These hogs the other evening were in when it was prime time, so I decided to let them know they were not welcome. When 3 lined up that was enough. I had hoped they would feed into the oats so I could get multiple shots, but it was not looking like the would. I hate hogs with a passion and have not ever passed up the opportunity to shoot one or shoot at them. I would loose sleep if I let that big boar walk the NP posted, prime time or not. The only exception would be if a target buck was in sight and heading my way for a shot. I killed a boar a month ago from my bowstand about 15 minutes before dark in prime time, I keep my .22 mag in the blind with me when bow hunting. Just in case they are not going to come into bow range.

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664575 11/17/19 06:10 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
East Texas is a little different than most other places. It’s not deer in general I worry about, it’s one deer. And he almost certainly won’t come out if I were to fire a shot out of my blind if he’s around. OTOH, the deer live with the hogs. Sure, they annoy them and sometimes run them out of the food plot - but they won’t alter a big buck’s behavior like me shooting out of my blind will. (Many times my deer don’t run from even a sounder of hogs, they just perk up and let the hogs have the right of way. In any event, this hog wasn’t annoying anything as there were no deer out and he was just passing through.) Anyway, that’s my opinion after almost 20 years of being on and hunting my particular place.

I can kill hogs and coyotes 11 months out of the year. And I’ve killed a bunch. Shooting hogs is just whizzing in the wind anyway - this is the only way to have any effect on hogs in east TX: [Linked Image]

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664616 11/17/19 06:44 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I can understand your situation.Mine is much different. I trap hogs 12 months out of the year here and have for 7 yrs. I trap all year but this year I have two traps set since June and have only caught one hog so far. They will not get close to any trap with all the acorns on the ground right now and the corn feeders/road corn with hunting season. Recent rains have them grazing like cattle on weeds and new grass. Since I trap them year round they are gone or not here for months on end during the year. I trap or kill till I get the whole group most of the time. The deer on my place will run from the sight of a hog or coyote, just always have. Just not something they see very often since the hogs are not here all the time. Other places they react differently to them but here they run from them. I have not had a hog issue in hunting season in the last 7 seasons. Late season they will move in and I will catch or shoot them till I get them all. Then I am done for a few months. For some reason this year it started with one group of 10, then two groups now of 10-15 and now my neighbor is talking 30 at a time hitting his feeders when they feeder goes off. He is even shooting them now. I always target sows first and then second shot is whatever I can get on. I have a target buck I hunted all of bow season and finally saw him the last weekend of archery season during the daylight. I had pics of him at night at my bow blind for a few night off and of on all season but the hogs all night long there when they were on my place. When I saw the bucks the hogs went from one group to two or more every night. The buck has been a no show since Sunday morning about 45 minutes before daylight. I have not seen nor gotten a photo of him in 21 days now. Is he alive, dead, rutting somewhere else or the hogs move him out? Don't know but I am not passing on hogs unless he is on cams or on his way in. The hogs on my place seem to drift in and out( or killed out) during the year. For the first time they are here in season and I am not going to wait on them when they show up in the daylight to leave the area. If I still had my target buck on cam or seen him I might view it differently like you do. But hogs here will ruin a hunt as soon as they come in. I would rather ruin their day than let them walk. I saw some baby pigs that are very little on cams from the past week. The numbers are growing as I type this.... grin

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664823 11/17/19 11:41 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I grew up with the "shoot hogs at all cost rule"

now I will pass on them during a deer hunt unless they are at the feeder and have run everything off, where I then shoot one and continue hunting.

I passed on a big boar the other day. had him almost in bayonet range. I did take a video but I was on my way to rattle and didn't want to fire a shot and risk messing up my hunt, so I let him go. Several hours later I did get two of his sisters though.

I'm not gonna burn a deer hunt anymore unless its obvious that the hogs have already ruined it, like when they come running into a feeder. A hog passing thru isn't gonna cause me to start shooting anymore.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Big Hawg [Re: LonestarCobra] #7664827 11/17/19 11:45 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

roflmao

rofl

texas flag

Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664860 11/18/19 12:15 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

rolleyes

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7664891 11/18/19 12:36 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
That is near show pig quality!

Last edited by huntwest; 11/18/19 12:44 AM.
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7665247 11/18/19 12:35 PM
P
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
East Texas is a little different than most other places. It’s not deer in general I worry about, it’s one deer. And he almost certainly won’t come out if I were to fire a shot out of my blind if he’s around. OTOH, the deer live with the hogs. Sure, they annoy them and sometimes run them out of the food plot - but they won’t alter a big buck’s behavior like me shooting out of my blind will. (Many times my deer don’t run from even a sounder of hogs, they just perk up and let the hogs have the right of way. In any event, this hog wasn’t annoying anything as there were no deer out and he was just passing through.) Anyway, that’s my opinion after almost 20 years of being on and hunting my particular place.

I can kill hogs and coyotes 11 months out of the year. And I’ve killed a bunch. Shooting hogs is just whizzing in the wind anyway - this is the only way to have any effect on hogs in east TX: [Linked Image]

If he knows where you shot the hog from he already knows your hunting the blind....deer have no understanding of what a gunshot is any more than they do lightning... I have killed hogs and had mature bucks come afterwards and feed within sight o them...

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Big Hawg [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7665277 11/18/19 01:15 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

smile

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide