Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Another neighbor trouble thread #7662745 11/15/19 02:58 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Didn't think I'd ever have problems with neighbors. My neighbor to the south is in her late 80s - have yet to see her. Neighbor to the West lives in New Mexico. Not sure who owns the property to the east. There is a house on it that no one has lived in for years surrounded by land that is overgrown with mesquite. My land is pretty secluded apart from the North fence that runs along a county road.

The trouble happened last weekend with my neighbor to the North. The neighbor lives in a house across the road about 300 yards away. His house isn't directly across from my property - it's about 100 yards East of the Eastern edge of my property. This neighbor caused quite a scene last Saturday morning.

My father was driving my buddy and me to an area we could enter on our north fence around 5:30 am. Several weeks prior, we eased up a few strands of barb wire to make it easy to enter our property. It's hard to tell which spot that is in the dark so I had a headlight and was poking my head out the window shining it on our fence. We missed the spot by 50 yards so we turned around and found it shortly after. As I was getting out of the truck... I heard shouting and saw an immensely bright spotlight shining in our direction through the trees. We were in a rush to go to the blind and a bit confounded... so my buddy and I quickly crossed the fence and walked to the blind about 500 yards away. After we got settled in, we heard yelling and turned around to see the neighbor on the county road spotlighting into my property. He made quite a raucous for 10 mins or so before disappearing back into his property.

Not sure what to make of that. I assume he thought we were poachers. I'd like to go talk with him, but there are a bunch of "no trespassing" signs on his gate. Really no way to go knock on his door without hopping the gate and walking several hundred yards on his property. Debated on walking up to him during the incident... but was afraid he might be armed. He sounded quite agitated - figured it wasn't the best time to approach him - especially since I was trying to get my buddy onto a doe that morning and didn't want this incident to muck up our hunting.

If he was looking for poachers... I certainly appreciate his vigilance. I was a bit peeved though to have someone walking up and down my fence line shining a spotlight onto my property. Especially when I'm trying to hunt.

What would yall have done in my situation?

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662750 11/15/19 03:05 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If you were driving slow down a county road with a spotlight he probably absolutely thought you were a poacher. Sounds like probably a good neighbor to have.

Grab a six pack and go talk to him one day in the middle of the day. If you're worried about the signs, hang a note on his gate with your phone number and invite to come over and meet you. Most of us with property like to know all of our neighbors well and look out for each other.

[Linked Image]
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662755 11/15/19 03:08 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
If he lives out there he may have seen poachers or meth cookers in the past. I would go talk to him and introduce myself. I would probably just drive up to his house and say hi. I would go midday though and not worry too much about the no trespassing signs as long as you thought he was home. That or leave a friendly note on his gate and ask to meet him. Sounds like he was trying to be helpful, and if it turns out that he wasn't, at least you will know where yalls relationship stands

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662756 11/15/19 03:09 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
As you did...I would have continued on my way...for the reasons you cited (angry person, possibly armed). But...contacting the person and explaining the scenario he witnessed (undoubtedly he thought poachers) could be accomplished by leaving a letter in a conspicuous place on his gate.

Explain exactly what it was you were doing and acknowledge his concerns. Provide a phone number and encourage him to call so that you can further discuss it.

Edit: ^^^^^ Looks like others type faster than I do. I agree with their suggestions.

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/15/19 03:11 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662766 11/15/19 03:17 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
X2

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662768 11/15/19 03:19 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
You could always drop your business card with a note in his mailbox. I have to do that sometimes when it's hard to get a hold of someone, their home isn't accessible from the road or I don't think I should enter the property.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662770 11/15/19 03:20 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Sounds to me like he was looking out for the landowner's best interest, not knowing that you were the landowner. Sounds like a good neighbor to have and to get to know so it doesn't happen again or get escalated next time.

If you heard the shouting and saw his light before crossing the fence, it may have been best to take to 2 minutes and explain to him who you were and why you were doing what you were doing. That would've had much less impact on the hunt than him shining a light at you and yelling for 10 minutes.

Maybe leave a note on his gate with your phone number so you can formally introduce yourself, then agree to look out for each other's fence lines and actual poachers.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: Scott W] #7662776 11/15/19 03:25 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Call the game warden to go jump his gate and ask him whats up

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662791 11/15/19 03:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree with the above. Riding the road, shining a light, looking for a hole in the fence, and then going back to be dropped off and entering on foot all looks a helluva lot more like the activities of a poacher than a landowner.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662792 11/15/19 03:39 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I had a neighbor do the same as I was dropping my father off on a fence line where he was going to hunt. I pulled over and had a conversation with the neighbor. We struck up a friendship that has now lasted over 20 years and he let us hunt his place up until he sold it and then he let us hunt the new place he moved to. We just had to give him some backstrap and sit and have a few drinks with him once in a while.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662795 11/15/19 03:41 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I would have been more than willing to speak with him. He obviously thought you were a poacher. You need to thank him for looking after your place for you.

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: fadetoblack64] #7662797 11/15/19 03:42 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Great suggestions here. I'll certainly write a note the next time I'm out there. I do agree that he probably had good intentions. I've seen dead hogs on the side of county roads about a mile south of my place. I imagine it's not uncommon for people to drive around the dirt roads at night looking for hogs or deer.

I'm a bit hesitant to go knock on his door. He's behind a gate (that I assume is locked). Not sure I'd want someone jumping my gate to come talk to me so I can't imagine he would want the same. The amount of "no trespassing" and "under surveillance" signs indicate he might be more of a private person.

Originally Posted by Scott W

If you heard the shouting and saw his light before crossing the fence, it may have been best to take to 2 minutes and explain to him who you were and why you were doing what you were doing. That would've had much less impact on the hunt than him shining a light at you and yelling for 10 minutes.

He was about 300 yards away or so. Just far enough where I couldn't hear what he was shouting. Briefly considered waiting, but didn't know if he'd actually leave his property. Not sure how much time passed, but he didn't show up on the road until we walked to the blind and got settled in. Would've added at least 20 minutes and possibly muck up our morning hunt. I was also determined to get my buddy a doe that morning (which we did). Not sure if that extra time spent chatting in the open would've spooked any deer in the area.

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662804 11/15/19 03:46 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Yeah, I think you may have just traded off the chance to kill a deer for the opportunity to cement a good relationship with a neighbor that morning. I'd still want to meet him if I were in your shoes and let him know I appreciated the vigilance of looking out for the 'neighborhood'.

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662816 11/15/19 03:51 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
From the sound of it, I’d guess he was just being a concerned neighbor

Ask around town and see if anybody knows him and his contact number if you don’t wanna walk down his road

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662836 11/15/19 04:08 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
My question is, if he was so agitated about you being there, why didn't the GW or Sheriff show up? I'm just suspect if someone raises so much Cain and yet didn't call the popo.

I'd leave a note in a plastic baggie on his gate, tell him you're the landowner across the street and ask him to call at his convenience.

Could be a huge asset to meet him, or let you know who may be hunting your place when you're gone.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662861 11/15/19 04:26 PM
218 Bee Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

JDP,

You might get in touch with Lee Morrison (our local GW) and see if he had any calls from your neighbor last weekend. Like others, I think your actions (though innocent) might well have been interpreted as road-hunting (I know I'd have had similar thoughts if it had happened in MY neck of the woods!). By all means, reach out to your neighbor...their vigilance is an asset to you!

Mark

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662871 11/15/19 04:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
First thing I would do is find a different way to get to my hunting stand other than dropping people off on the side of the public road and hopping the fence.....

Second, leave a note on the neighbors gate if its locked. If its open go knock on his door be polite and introduce yourself.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: redchevy] #7662891 11/15/19 04:55 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
First thing I would do is find a different way to get to my hunting stand other than dropping people off on the side of the public road and hopping the fence.....

Second, leave a note on the neighbors gate if its locked. If its open go knock on his door be polite and introduce yourself.

I'm a little late to this one, but I agree with both points. If you use a county road to climb a fence onto your property you're going to have negative visits. Anyone one on neighboring properties or just driving down the county road will likely assume you're trespassing/poaching. One phone call from them and you're talking to folks with guns when you could be hunting.
I would also leave a note on his gate with your name and number asking for a call. It sounds like he probably assumed you were poachers. As others have said, forging good relationships with neighbors is always good. If it turns out he thought he was chasing poachers off of your land I would invite him over for a beer.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7662904 11/15/19 05:09 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yep. You were a poacher. I would have done just what he did. You owe him a visit and a beer. I bet you got a good neighbor.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: Cast] #7662919 11/15/19 05:27 PM
JDP Ranch Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Great feedback guys. Good points about the public roads. I would certainly prefer to travel to the blinds without leaving the property. There is another gate about 500 yards west of where I crossed. The problem with entering that gate though is it forces me to pass by and park next to a travel corridor for the local deer. I'll use that gate moving forward until I have a chance to connect with the neighbor.

Originally Posted by Cast
Yep. You were a poacher. I would have done just what he did. You owe him a visit and a beer. I bet you got a good neighbor.

Now that I'm thinking more about this... I need to figure out a way to ensure he doesn't stop doing what he's doing... except when I'm around smile

Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7662976 11/15/19 06:25 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
You could always drop your business card with a note in his mailbox. I have to do that sometimes when it's hard to get a hold of someone, their home isn't accessible from the road or I don't think I should enter the property.

X2

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7663024 11/15/19 07:17 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I am surprise the GW did not show up.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: JDP Ranch] #7663035 11/15/19 07:31 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I have nothing t add that hasn't already been mentioned.
Sounds like a good neighbor up

[Linked Image]
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: Western] #7664419 11/17/19 03:09 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Western
My question is, if he was so agitated about you being there, why didn't the GW or Sheriff show up? I'm just suspect if someone raises so much Cain and yet didn't call the popo.

I'd leave a note in a plastic baggie on his gate, tell him you're the landowner across the street and ask him to call at his convenience.

Could be a huge asset to meet him, or let you know who may be hunting your place when you're gone.

X2

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Another neighbor trouble thread [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7664474 11/17/19 03:59 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by Western

X2

X3

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide