Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boar hog troubles #7660702 11/13/19 03:44 PM
Travlinman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Guys, I've had this big boar hog on our place that is driving me crazy. I've had several shot opportunities at long range (300 yards) but he always gets spooked. This character comes out and at 300 yards see's something is not right with the blind, like a gun sticking out of it, and he hightails it out. Then he stays nocturnal. I've always heard their eyesite is poor and they don't hear very well, but their smell is sensational. I have the wind in my favor when I hunt so it's not the wind. I don't have the same issue with sounders. It's just this damn single boar that is tearing my place UP!

Am I wrong to think this is his home territory and he knows everything there is to know about it. Anything a bit out of place and he is gone.
Suggestions?

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660717 11/13/19 03:54 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Get a trap.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660724 11/13/19 03:57 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Sling lead at 300 at him. Is he always coming out about the same location each time? If so, just be ready for when he does step out and drop him in his tracks.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660734 11/13/19 04:04 PM
F
FXfromTX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Are you not comfortable shooting him at 300?

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660736 11/13/19 04:07 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Obviously, if he is seeing something wrong with your stand at 300 yards, their eyesight is fine. In reality, they have forward binocular vision on par with humans in daylight. Their lateral and rear vision isn't as good, but their forward vision is not bad at all. Remember, these animals can run through the woods in the middle of the night and not crash into trees. You can't do that. So who has worse vision?. People often confuse behavior with capability. How many times have you heard a deer hunter say a deer walked right by the hunter and didn't see him? The deer probably saw him, just like the hogs see a lot of things, but if it isn't doing something spooky or acting like a threat, then they don't react to it like a threat. That is not the same as not being able to see it.

Hogs hear extremely well.

Hogs have a fine sense of smell, no doubt.

Since wind is in your favor, you are likely making the classic hunter-centric mistake of assuming everything is about you. Because the hog spooks when you are there, you think you must be the cause. The hog may spook when you aren't there as well. You don't know. He's 300 yards away. You don't know what it is that is bothersome to him.

I would suggest that you determine a 300 yard zero for your rifle, practice it at the range, and then wait the ambush the hog. Be ready when he comes out.

If you think he sees your rifle sticking out the window (which means he has come to associate long skinny sticks coming out of boxes as being rifles and that they are a threat) and reacts to it, then he is a thoroughly hunted and educated hog. You either need to stop sticking your rifle out the window or leave a stick/broom handle sticking out the window all the time such that it becomes the norm.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660738 11/13/19 04:12 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
^^^Yeah, get a 300 yard zero on your rifle and pop that troublemaker.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660753 11/13/19 04:22 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I highly doubt he is spotting a rifle barrel out the window at 300 yards. We have hogs on camera on feeders all the time that just cross a sendero or opening at distance and don't come to the feeders. My bet is this isn't super hog and most of it is in your head, he is just a hog doing what hogs do and probably wasn't planning on coming to your feeder at that exact moment.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660771 11/13/19 04:33 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
You could set up behind where the hog comes out at 100 yards or so, if you really think him noticing something is different in the blind. That would be an exciting ambush.

My buddy did this to some deer that kept spotting him in a tripod two hunts in a row. He set up on the ground away from the tripod, when they came out and looked up at the tripod he popped one.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660801 11/13/19 04:51 PM
Travlinman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
yes I did sling lead at 300. I had him looking right at my box so he was stopped for an instant looking right at me. I was going to wait for him to turn broadside and just like that he turned and ran thru brush. I DID sling some lead at him at that point but didn't find blood. Damn things.

Also, i was sitting in a box that was backlit so that could have been the issue. I've now covered three sides of the blind.

There are several hog traps in our area. He won't go near them. I just think boars are much more tuned in to their environment when on their own than when in a sounder. They have to be to survive.

He has now become....my "white whale".

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660807 11/13/19 04:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If there are no livestock in that pasture then pour out a full bag of corn in a small opening in thick cover you can see about 200 yards from the blind, in the direction he is coming in from. Put a trail cam on it and keep adding to the pile when it gets low.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660809 11/13/19 04:54 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Put your cross hairs on the top of his back in the middle of his body and squeeze rifle

texas flag

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660821 11/13/19 05:00 PM
Travlinman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Here he is.......doing his thing to piss me off.
[Linked Image]

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660834 11/13/19 05:12 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Put a light up where the photo was taken. Then you will be able to shoot him day or night.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660859 11/13/19 05:40 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Man, two birds one stone -- sticking it to you and the sow on tape. You need to name that boy Dirk Diggler

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: TLew] #7660949 11/13/19 07:35 PM
Travlinman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks TLew! Yea I think he's smiling at me while he's porker her.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7660967 11/13/19 08:06 PM
T
TKandMike Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Thump him!

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7661013 11/13/19 08:44 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Those piglets should be born in about a month.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7661070 11/13/19 09:31 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Obviously, if he is seeing something wrong with your stand at 300 yards, their eyesight is fine. In reality, they have forward binocular vision on par with humans in daylight. Their lateral and rear vision isn't as good, but their forward vision is not bad at all. Remember, these animals can run through the woods in the middle of the night and not crash into trees. You can't do that. So who has worse vision?. People often confuse behavior with capability. How many times have you heard a deer hunter say a deer walked right by the hunter and didn't see him? The deer probably saw him, just like the hogs see a lot of things, but if it isn't doing something spooky or acting like a threat, then they don't react to it like a threat. That is not the same as not being able to see it.

Hogs hear extremely well.

Hogs have a fine sense of smell, no doubt.

^^^^^

This is exactly right. I don't know who first started the ridiculous idea that hogs have poor eyesight. Hogs can see you just fine to at least 200 yds. As for hearing...could anyone really think that an animal that lives in the wild, that has two HUGE ears would not be able to hear well? And their sense of smell is second to none (of anything that roams this State).

The thing with hogs (not unlike deer) is that if they see or hear something...they often want 'confirmation' from one of their other senses (not to include smell) before they react. A hog might 'hear' something...but also want to 'see' it before determining whether or not it poses a threat. But if it smells you...its game over (same with deer). NOT reacting doesn't mean it didn't see or hear you.

Also, any experienced hog hunter will quickly tell you, hogs readily notice anything that is different or out of place in an area they are familiar with.

I doubt a pig is seeing a rifle barrel at 300 yds. and spooking, but it might be seeing a glint of sunlight off the scope lens or a persons silhouette if you are back-lighted in a blind. One thing is certain...a smart old boar (once tipped off) will be watching every time he is in that area. The one's that don't spook off right away will learn to circle the entire area a couple of hundred yards out and scent check it. I've had my share of 'cat and mouse' games with Old Boars.

I hate the one's that stay just out of sight...going back and forth 'growling' their displeasure after they have busted you.

Good luck, take that 300 yd. shot if you need to, nothing to lose.

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/13/19 09:34 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7661087 11/13/19 09:43 PM
F
Ftttu Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Whatever you do, get him and his family! I was walking into my hunting spot last week along a forest trail about an hour and a half before sunrise. I began to hear stirrings in the forest to my right and just thought they were deer...until they didn't stop. I then realized it was hogs. I turned right to walk to my spot about 20 yards off of the trail and that's when I was charged by one. I pulled my G43, flashed them with my weak flashlight and yelled my scariest hog-scaring yell. It backed off so I thought they would all leave, but I continued to hear them rooting around almost all around me. I heard them getting closer again in the total darkness to I jumped up again and repeated. One ran off doing his deer-like snort, but they still remained in the area. Another one confronted me again so I had to once more draw, flash and yell. One or two ran and snorted again, and I finally heard them leaving the area without another challenge.

My heart was racing since it was potentially a very dangerous situation. What I learned is to not just have a Walmart $1.00 3xAAA flashlight for just walking in and out of the woods and to bring an extra pistol magazine or two. I would have taken them out during daylight, but they were long gone by then. Also, I didn't take any shots with my pistol or rifle because it was pitch dark and my flashlight was just barely able to make them out between the 5 to 10 yards they came to me.

To add, this was the first time I had encountered hogs during a deer hunt. I expected to see them at a distance during the day and not be challenged or attacked during the inky blackness walk into the forest. Other than all of the damage they do to the environment, I dislike them even more after this event.

Retired!
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7661089 11/13/19 09:44 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
If you know where he lives and where his escape route is, then set up downwind and have someone walk the brush slowly on the other side so he avoids danger and comes to try and sit in your lap.
This is how I got my biggest boar, knew where he bedded..ish and walked it quickly ( was alone) and high tailed it out to a clearing he had to cross..he was moving fast but managed 4 rounds in him before he went down.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7661093 11/13/19 09:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Good luck getting him.

I had an interesting hog experience yesterday at my place. Went down to run a sounder out of my food plot (didn’t take rifle) and a rutty boar hog refused to leave. In fact, he false-charged me and turned away before he got to me. I was, shall we say, concerned for a minute. My wife was in the blind watching all this. When I got back in the blind, the whole sounder came back out, he was again pestering every sow, and my wife pretty much made me shoot the boar. So I did.

Never had an unwounded hog do that before. I’m thinking he and the whole sounder just thought I was another hog.

IMO they don’t see real well and rely on their nose and ears most of the time.

Most every other big boar I’ve dealt with acts just like the one you describe. Super smart/wary. Gotta get lucky to kill them.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7661136 11/13/19 10:29 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Took 7-8 trips to the farm before I got one boar. Anytime I was in the stand, he would not show until I left and was halfway home. Tried waiting him out, never showed. He made the mistake of showing up when I walked to the truck. Put the sneak on him from the south side of feeder pen and 1 hr later he was dead. A cellular camera was his undoing.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7661723 11/14/19 03:29 PM
Travlinman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Yes Nogalus I agree! They are generally solitary and have a home range. They have to be willy to become a big old ugly guy. When they see something not quite right they avoid it and learn from it.
I'll get him eventually and I'll post pics when I do.

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7755057 02/24/20 04:15 PM
Travlinman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Finally got my "white whale"? I got some hog lights and put them around my feeder. He came out after dark at 7:10. I was relaxing with a beverage at 310 yards away. Scope has lighted reticle and the 308 thumped him. [Linked Image]

Re: Boar hog troubles [Re: Travlinman] #7755076 02/24/20 04:26 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Very nice.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread