Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Thompson Center Encore #7657391 11/10/19 11:33 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Had some range time with it. It was hard for me to shoot well My bolt guns all have triggers set at 2 lbs. Not sure what the factory setting is on the Encore, but it was heavy. Consistent, crisp, but heavy. If anyone could tell me, I'd appreciate it. Also, had a tough time getting a good cheek weld. I use Triad Tactical stock packs, and didn't have one on the Encore so for this outing I was hovering with my chin against the stock, not downward with my cheek. The rifle can shoot, did get three in the 1" dot but would then put one left 3". Let it cool down, another good group going and then a shot 4" left. I shot 18 shots in an hour. I was using a bi pod and a rear bag. Elevation was very consistent. Was shooting indoor, using a free pass. (Pretty sweet set up BTW) I really like the weight, mobility and durability of this rifle. Also, 2 more inches of barrel for some velocity increase and the benefits of that are good things. I've had a few Encore shooters give some good info. Would a trigger job help that much, and do you think I need it?

And a Thank You to the two THF members that sold me the set up.
[Linked Image]

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7657465 11/10/19 02:26 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Trigger stuff: https://www.bellmtcs.com/bellm/encoretrigger

I haven't done it to mine yet but it and a hinge pin will be done this next off season.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7657491 11/10/19 02:45 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Or, check out Eabco.com they specialize in the Encore.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: Judd] #7657493 11/10/19 02:46 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Judd
Trigger stuff: https://www.bellmtcs.com/bellm/encoretrigger

I haven't done it to mine yet but it and a hinge pin will be done this next off season.

Yeah, just saw these. I read up on the spring kit this morning. I'm ordering the spring kit, #3. I think this can be a great shooter with some trigger help.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7657531 11/10/19 03:30 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Factory trigger pull is between 5 and 7 pounds. A trigger job is a necessity. Also, the "pulled" shots could be due to recoil anticipation. You may not see it on your bolt guns, but it takes a fraction of a second longer for the hammer to fall on the Encore than it does for the firing pin to move forward on a bolt gun. The spring kit will help with lock time, but I would recommend lowering the scope a bit (it looks high) and putting a stock pack on to help get a good cheek weld. I would also suggest that you use a front bag instead of a bipod. The Encore is pretty lightweight and a front bag will help you to keep it more steady.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: Buzzsaw] #7657542 11/10/19 03:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I’ve had eabco and mgm barrels. Like eabco the best

The hammer spring is a love hate. It improves lock time but not everyone can efficiently pull it back. Example my wife has hell with it. Kids are a no go.

The locking hind pin is good. Trigger job is best investment. Mines at 3.75

I bedded barrels with JB weld and used thin washers. Both work well.

20” barrel [Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: HandgunHTR] #7657548 11/10/19 03:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Factory trigger pull is between 5 and 7 pounds. A trigger job is a necessity. Also, the "pulled" shots could be due to recoil anticipation. You may not see it on your bolt guns, but it takes a fraction of a second longer for the hammer to fall on the Encore than it does for the firing pin to move forward on a bolt gun. The spring kit will help with lock time, but I would recommend lowering the scope a bit (it looks high) and putting a stock pack on to help get a good cheek weld. I would also suggest that you use a front bag instead of a bipod. The Encore is pretty lightweight and a front bag will help you to keep it more steady.

That's good info. I had the rings, Warne 30 mm, didn't want to buy new ones. The stock pack will be an easy improvement. I've watched a good youtube video on changing out the four springs. Any of ya'll done it?

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7657576 11/10/19 04:24 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I have done the Bellm trigger spring kit on both my Encore frames. It does help trigger pull and lock time, also makes cocking the hammer a bit more difficult. Agree with the above advice to use a front bag instead of bipod. I slide the bag as far towards the action as possible.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7657582 11/10/19 04:32 PM
D
Dink Dodger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I've done it on all of mine. I have mixed and matched the springs from different kits to get the pull weight where I want it. On one of mine, all I needed to do was replace the hammer spring. GET THE PLIERS!!! Or I'll loan you mine. You can get that spring in without them, but they'll save you some cussing. Be sure once you get the springs replaced that you can not push the hammer off with finger pressure. If so you'll need to stone the hammer and sear to a different angle. Mike sells the stones to do this. I have a Contender that breaks at about 13oz but the hammer and sear had to be re cut and the hammer can not be pushed off. I have never been comfortable doing this but its easy enough to send the frame to Mike and have him do it.
Mike Bellm is the authority on Encores and Contenders bar none.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: Adchunts] #7657585 11/10/19 04:34 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Adchunts
I have done the Bellm trigger spring kit on both my Encore frames. It does help trigger pull and lock time, also makes cocking the hammer a bit more difficult. Agree with the above advice to use a front bag instead of bipod. I slide the bag as far towards the action as possible.

The kit comes with 4 springs, $22.00. You can get it with some hooked needle pliers for about $45.00.

How did you do it and was it difficult? The youtube video I watched made it look doable.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7658009 11/11/19 12:26 AM
R
Rounder Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
R
I bought my frame from EABCO and had them make me a fat 20'' barrel in 6.5x47. They also did a trigger job. Light and crisp enough. No thumbhole stock but one of thier rubber decellerator things. After scopeing you might find that a hammer spur is handy. Mount scope as low to barrel as possible. Due to rail,rings and available scope configurations getting the proper eye relief will be a factor. It will shoot. Due to the nature of the thing you must take care to return it to the bags in the same position and assume your same grip and setup after a reload. This is a great truck or blind rifle.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: Rounder] #7658044 11/11/19 12:59 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Rounder
This is a great truck or blind rifle.

That is an important statement to remember. A lot of people don't like Encores because they "don't shoot little groups" from the bench. They are not designed to be bench guns. They are single shot hunting rifles, designed to be lightweight rifles that have longer barrels, but are a smaller package than bolt guns. Yes, if you are diligent, you can get consistent 0.5" 5-shot groups, but chasing little groups with an Encore should not be your end goal.
Your goal should be putting a single shot where you aim it (or very close) every time.
The way I practice with my Encore is to shoot a shot from the bench. Then get down and shoot one over my pack. Then get into a sitting position and shoot one. Then shoot one off-hand. If I can ring the 4" steel at 200 yards with each of those shots, I know I am good to go.
They are hunting rifles, not bench guns.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: HandgunHTR] #7658056 11/11/19 01:14 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Originally Posted by Rounder
This is a great truck or blind rifle.

That is an important statement to remember. A lot of people don't like Encores because they "don't shoot little groups" from the bench. They are not designed to be bench guns. They are single shot hunting rifles, designed to be lightweight rifles that have longer barrels, but are a smaller package than bolt guns. Yes, if you are diligent, you can get consistent 0.5" 5-shot groups, but chasing little groups with an Encore should not be your end goal.
Your goal should be putting a single shot where you aim it (or very close) every time.
The way I practice with my Encore is to shoot a shot from the bench. Then get down and shoot one over my pack. Then get into a sitting position and shoot one. Then shoot one off-hand. If I can ring the 4" steel at 200 yards with each of those shots, I know I am good to go.
They are hunting rifles, not bench guns.

That's why I bought it. I'm a hunter, but want to prove the rifle out on the bench. I think it's a shooter, but do want to make it as good as I can so when I see that buck of a lifetime I can put him on the ground. I do appreciate the info on this platform, I know very little about it.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7658412 11/11/19 02:28 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by Adchunts

The kit comes with 4 springs, $22.00. You can get it with some hooked needle pliers for about $45.00.

How did you do it and was it difficult? The youtube video I watched made it look doable.

Was not terrible difficult. The first one took me a couple of tries to get right. The second was super easy. I did not get the kit with the pliers. If I had to do it again, I would get the pliers. I also watched the YouTube videos many times before and during the process.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7659264 11/12/19 04:06 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Love my Encore. Built by Bullberry, has a crisp 2.5lb trigger. The .280ai barrel has bullberry's hanger bar system and forearm that free floats the barrel as much as possible, and it's still picky about resting it. No matter what you do, the forearm is still attached to the barrel. I keep the rest as close to the hinge pin as possible for the best consistency, have had some groups in the .5's, but more consistent in .7's on the bench when I do my part. Resting it anywhere on the forearm is gives plenty good enough accuracy for hunting, or I've never noticed it on an animal anyway. Tried it on a bipod and was not impressed at the bench.

For handloading, Mike Bellm's headspace gauge is useful. Mine has a minimum SAAMI spec chamber and I had to have .010" taken off the base of Redding my full length sizing die to get enough adjustment to bump the shoulder back.

It's been an adventure with this rifle, definitely a few eccentricities to learn, but i love it now. I had it built for an Elk hunt years back, but it has become my favorite whitetail rifle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by psycho0819; 11/12/19 04:09 AM.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7659318 11/12/19 11:11 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Spring kit and 1x hinge pin on the way. My Encore was made in Rochester. I'll measure the hinge pin I have and compare it with the 1x. I may stay with original, it is tight through the barrel. There doesn't seem to be any play or movement when mounted in the frame. I'm hoping the stock pack will help with the cheek weld issue I had and the spring kit will help with lock time.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7665217 11/18/19 11:20 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Spring kit and 1x hinge pin installed. A big thanks to Dink Dodger for the pliers and install on the trigger spring. As mentioned that is the only spring that is dicey. I can't imagine pulling that off without the pliers. Each side is a radius, that when closed form a Ø that perfectly contains the spring so you can hold it in place while sliding the pin back through as you push our punch out. The other springs are a simple drop in.

The hinge pin is a high quality precision machined piece of work. The original measured .377", the replacement .3775". The original could be forced in by hand and gave a tight lock up, but the replacement actually took a few hits with a hammer.

Range time soon, hopefully to show some improvement.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7669314 11/22/19 02:11 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Trigger spring kit and 1X hinge pin made this rifle a flat out shooter. The stock pack didn't hurt. Anyone considering this should do it, trigger is fantastic. I did wait ten minutes between shots, shot a really tight group at 100 yards, then moved to 200 and drilled the dot using the reticle on the Burris Mtac. I got like $40.00 in the upgrades from Bellm TC.

Re: Thompson Center Encore [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7669364 11/22/19 03:26 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Trigger spring kit and 1X hinge pin made this rifle a flat out shooter. The stock pack didn't hurt. Anyone considering this should do it, trigger is fantastic. I did wait ten minutes between shots, shot a really tight group at 100 yards, then moved to 200 and drilled the dot using the reticle on the Burris Mtac. I got like $40.00 in the upgrades from Bellm TC.

Good to hear. I killed a hog and a doe in GA 2 days ago with mine. The hog shot was "base of the neck" at 210 yards. Hit right where I was aiming.

#FighttheNoise
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide