Print Thread
Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood #7657377 11/10/19 06:36 AM
C
clarkfork Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Have some carpet areas in our house (built on slab) that we want to replace with either hardwood or engineered wood. The engineered wood option looks simple as far as not needing a subfloor layer, probably no baseboard/moulding height issues, and minimal transitions to adjacent tile areas. Seems like we'd have issues to work out with hardwood due to thicknesses of the subfloor and hardwood at all the transition areas and what to do about baseboard/moulding (remove it, raise it up, funky transitions back down). We don't plan on being in this home too much longer but since we are replacing carpet anyways, we want to upgrade to some sort of wood and make the house more "saleable" for when that time comes. We've been in model homes that have engineered wood floors glued to the slab and they sure look and feel good....., anyone have any experience with this type of flooring (good or bad)? Suprisingly not much of a cost difference between hardwood and good quality engineered wood, just looking for opinions on one vs the other for a little remodeling.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7657400 11/10/19 12:11 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
My BIL install engineered wood floors directly on the slab in the living room and dining room of our house almost 10 years ago now. Can sand and refinish if needed in the future. Got it at Lumber Liquidators. Great looking after all this time. It’s not even the high end stuff.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7657570 11/10/19 04:17 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
We glued wood flooring down in a home and it was fine. If you're moving, engineered will definitely be less expensive.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7657617 11/10/19 05:14 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maybe the square foot price of hardwood and engineered is the same up front. But did you factor in materials and labor of installing a sub floor prior to finished floor?

These days the engineered wood looks much better than it did 20 years ago.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7657689 11/10/19 06:29 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Have had engineered wood floors for 19 years. Just make sure the installers do a good job of floating the low spots in the slab first.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7657704 11/10/19 06:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
We ripped out every stitch of carpet in our house six years ago when we remodeled it. Went with tile and laminate....wouldn't do anything different if I was doing it again today....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7657918 11/10/19 11:16 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I put some engineered wood floor down in our old house replacing some carpet, as we knew we were soon leaving. We had it for two years and it was still as good as it was when it was installed. It was a mid-grade level product. Our current house has hand scraped Oak floors, and there is no comparison between the two.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7658006 11/11/19 12:25 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Float the floor on the slab.

Level your slab, put the padding layer down, install the floor on top, add quarter round or replace modeling (make sure to leave some expansion space around walls) easy to do. Just spend some time around doors or remove and replace door frames

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: Cleric] #7658102 11/11/19 01:48 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Cleric

Level your slab, put the padding layer down, install the floor on top, add quarter round or replace modeling (make sure to leave some expansion space around walls) easy to do. Just spend some time around doors or remove and replace door frames

Absolutely can’t stand this. Can’t stand walking on a floating floor like this. Glue it down, nail it down, or go with tile.

I was showing a $389,000 home on Friday. We walked in, the floor was a floating “luxury vinyl wood” and the buyer said absolutely NOT. Went 3 doors down and got real hardwood flooring in same size house for considerably less

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7658127 11/11/19 02:04 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mines glued down. Only a few hollow sounding pockets where it wasn’t floated.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7658144 11/11/19 02:15 AM
F
Furb Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
I would suggest the engineered option for two main reasons. First, cost, a decent engineered will look and feel good for a fraction of the price of true wood. Second, a true wood floor requires a 3/4" base of C/D plywood, then the actual thickness of the wood, this will play Hades on transitions, doors, trim, and pray you are not trying to abut it to an exterior door.

Another option that a couple friends have done that looks and feels great is a wood ceramic tile, small grout joint and scratch resistant.

HHUUMMMM, what to write, what to write, I got nothing.
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: Furb] #7658178 11/11/19 02:49 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Furb
I would suggest the engineered option for two main reasons. First, cost, a decent engineered will look and feel good for a fraction of the price of true wood. Second, a true wood floor requires a 3/4" base of C/D plywood, then the actual thickness of the wood, this will play Hades on transitions, doors, trim, and pray you are not trying to abut it to an exterior door.

Another option that a couple friends have done that looks and feels great is a wood ceramic tile, small grout joint and scratch resistant.

The wood look tile is what we went with. Much more durable and don’t have to worry about it in the wet areas. Was about $9 per square foot plus installation.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: BigPig] #7658263 11/11/19 04:39 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BigPig

Absolutely can’t stand this. Can’t stand walking on a floating floor like this. Glue it down, nail it down, or go with tile.

I was showing a $389,000 home on Friday. We walked in, the floor was a floating “luxury vinyl wood” and the buyer said absolutely NOT. Went 3 doors down and got real hardwood flooring in same size house for considerably less

With the older stuff it can feel hallow. If done right it won’t be an issue. However if you glue it’s a pita to remove/change and I have seen problems if there is foundation shift.

Each had pros/cons, but hollow floor is awful

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7658607 11/11/19 05:12 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I've had engineered wood for about 6 or 7 years now. I went with it because I've got (2) 85ish pound dogs, and I've seen what even moderate sized dogs do to hardwood. After all this time, they still look great. Except I can't get them to look clean. I've used vinegar, several types of floor cleaner, and even plain water mixed with a little alcohol... everything leaves streak marks when it dries. It's not something you see when you look down at it, but looking across the floor at a window or light source, it's there. It's a pretty common problem.

Fortunately with 2 German Shepherds, within a day or two, shed hairs make the streaks less noticeable.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7659058 11/12/19 12:37 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Bostik makes a vapor barrier and adhesive product for gluing hardwood directly to slab. My brother just used it in a house. I'm not sure on cost/ft. Kicker is you need a rough finished slab. So you'd have to have the slab shot blasted or scored with a saw. In a new construction, you can broom finish the slab instead of trowel finish and be ready to go.

When we build next year, I'm looking at broom finishing the slab. We're putting down solid hardwood. With either glue or plywood, depending on price.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7659507 11/12/19 03:03 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm in the process of having a lot of my flooring replaced (currently a combination of tile and carpet) with vinyl planks. We had a water leak and figured this would be the time to do it since we've been wanting to do something different anyway and insurance is replacing it. We ended up going with the vinyl mostly based on the reason we're replacing flooring in the first place. The vinyl is supposed to be waterproof. The samples we looked at look just like real wood but it has advantages wood and laminate apparently don't have. The down side is real wood would improve resale value quite a bit more, but I can live with that.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: Grizz] #7659568 11/12/19 03:48 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Grizz
I'm in the process of having a lot of my flooring replaced (currently a combination of tile and carpet) with vinyl planks. We had a water leak and figured this would be the time to do it since we've been wanting to do something different anyway and insurance is replacing it. We ended up going with the vinyl mostly based on the reason we're replacing flooring in the first place. The vinyl is supposed to be waterproof. The samples we looked at look just like real wood but it has advantages wood and laminate apparently don't have. The down side is real wood would improve resale value quite a bit more, but I can live with that.

I installed it in our house about a year ago. Only negative so far is that it's slicker than laminate or tile if you have dogs. Even the textured "higher end" (if that's even a thing with wood look vinyl) is slick on our labs paws - way more so than the laminate that was down before.

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: Cochise] #7659598 11/12/19 04:16 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Cochise
Originally Posted by Grizz

I installed it in our house about a year ago. Only negative so far is that it's slicker than laminate or tile if you have dogs. Even the textured "higher end" (if that's even a thing with wood look vinyl) is slick on our labs paws - way more so than the laminate that was down before.

I figured that may be an issue just based on how our tile is slick on our dog's paws. Some of the samples we looked at were really rough, but we didn't like the looks of them as much. I'm pretty sure when she gets fired up the dog won't be running circles around the living room like she does now on the carpet. roflmao

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7659994 11/12/19 10:15 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
go with a floated engineered wood rather than gluing, slabs around north Tx. move and glued can be a nightmare if it gets movement. this also allows it to be "patched" of a pc gets damaged, if buyer wants to replace it is also a ton cheaper than glued to remove/redo.

lay a good waterproof insulation layer under the engineered and go for it, leave 1/2" from all walls. this simplifies install a lot too.

have layed a few floors like this and never a single problem.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: BigPig] #7660000 11/12/19 10:20 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigPig

I will bet they used the blue foam underlayment, that stuff sucks and will let the floor sag under foot, proper underlayment/prep and you will never know the difference.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Engineered wood flooring vs hardwood [Re: clarkfork] #7673072 11/26/19 07:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Real hardwoods for me.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide