Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: kmon11] #7638545 10/22/19 12:48 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by wp75169
Does the point stick out slightly further than the other lugs?

WP75169, Yes they do stick out
Originally Posted by kmon1
I have 4 788s of them here and all lugs look the same

kmon1, I don't know but if ALL 788 WERE MADE THE SAME, YOU NEED GLASSES FOR THEM OLD EYES. LOL

Last edited by DLALLDER; 10/22/19 12:49 AM.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7638706 10/22/19 03:08 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by wp75169
Does the point stick out slightly further than the other lugs?

WP75169, Yes they do stick out
I have 4 788s of them here and all lugs look the same

kmon1, I don't know but if ALL 788 WERE MADE THE SAME, YOU NEED GLASSES FOR THEM OLD EYES. LOL

Had my glasses on, will get them out in the dun tomorrow with the glasses and magnifying glass with the calipers and see what I can see. Might just take pictures and blow them up on the computer and I agree my eyes are not what they once were

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656644 11/09/19 03:49 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Okay Guys, I need more help with the 788, When extracting brass or cartridge, it I use a normal pressure on the bolt of up and back, the bolt locks up when bolt handle is in the most upward position. It is a positive stop and solid but if I take all pressure off the bolt handle it will move to the rear just as it should. I did a close inspection with the gun in the stock, I was in deer blind. I think the problem may be the safety is not releasing down forward enough so the bolt catches on it. Is this possible? If not please give me you SWAG or WAG. Thanks Daniel

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656660 11/09/19 04:18 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Okay Guys, I need more help with the 788, When extracting brass or cartridge, it I use a normal pressure on the bolt of up and back, the bolt locks up when bolt handle is in the most upward position. It is a positive stop and solid but if I take all pressure off the bolt handle it will move to the rear just as it should. I did a close inspection with the gun in the stock, I was in deer blind. I think the problem may be the safety is not releasing down forward enough so the bolt catches on it. Is this possible? If not please give me you SWAG or WAG. Thanks Daniel

Not sure what the issue is from your description.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: unclebubba] #7656667 11/09/19 04:59 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Doing what I normally do to eject a fired brass in all of my other bolt guns, the bolt locks up when bolt is in the most up position and will not move backward. Remove my hand for a second and the bolt will move back as it should & brass ejects.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 11/09/19 04:59 AM.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656678 11/09/19 05:33 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Doing what I normally do to eject a fired brass in all of my other bolt guns, the bolt locks up when bolt is in the most up position and will not move backward. Remove my hand for a second and the bolt will move back as it should & brass ejects.

Ok. That does not make sense to me that it would be your safety. My bolt will cycle with safety on or with safety off.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: unclebubba] #7656696 11/09/19 12:20 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Ok. That does not make sense to me that it would be your safety. My bolt will cycle with safety on or with safety off.

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656698 11/09/19 12:24 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Here is an additional way to look at the problem. Think about taking a fast second shot at good buck. You start the ejection cycle but when you get the bolt handle up and start the pull to the rear, the bolt will not move. You have to release all pressure from the bolt handle, then the bolt will move backward as it should with no drag or force needed.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656705 11/09/19 12:46 PM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
[/quote]

Anyone else have a suggestion?[/quote]

Sounds like a lug catching, just have to figure out which one. On older rifles or some that have seen allot of use you can develop some slack/over throw that might cause binding. The fact that you have to relax the bolt seems to point that way. Some dychem will help locate any contact points but be prepared for a surprise when you see how little contact some make. While being one of my favorite actions years ago it was mass produced and sold as a lesser quality rifle than the 700's, and did not have the fit and finish of the 700's.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 11/09/19 01:00 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656716 11/09/19 01:02 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Pushing the safety forward is as you know for bolt removal, so there is a catch there to hold the bolt in place. I guess if it is a little out of place that could cause an issue but not sure right now. Later today I will get a few out and see what I can see on mine.

The safety can be in safe or fire position to work the bolt on the 788 and only has to be pushed forward a little beyond the normal fire position to remove the bolt from the action.

Thought, does it only happen after firing or does it happen just cycling it fast with safety in either position? Try that after getting out of the stand today, might be little noisy when waiting on a deer in the woods.

I will look later and see what I find on mine id that will give me a clue.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656750 11/09/19 01:51 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
My 788 will do that once in a while but it’s very infrequent. I agree above about the lug catching. When you lift the bolt it sounds like the bolt is likely canting forward just a bit off center. When you release pressure it’s re-centering, unbinding the lug.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656831 11/09/19 03:53 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

So are you back to using your reloads or is this with your reloads?
I would say if the factory worked great and you adjusted your loads but it is still giving you fits then it is still your reloads.
I have several 788 and all of the lugs are never 100% touching. Not sure if they were designed to

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: huntwest] #7656903 11/09/19 05:40 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by huntwest

I would say if the factory worked great and you adjusted your loads but it is still giving you fits then it is still your reloads.
I have several 788 and all of the lugs are never 100% touching. Not sure if they were designed to

Hunt west, this problem is there with/without ammo, brass. I am going to double check but I am almost sure the bolt in my gun WILL NOT move & the gun on safety.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656931 11/09/19 06:35 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Hunt west, this problem is there with/without ammo, brass. I am going to double check but I am almost sure the bolt in my gun WILL NOT move & the gun on safety.

They added that feature around 82 or so. Mine was made in 79 (22” .243) and the bolt will move regardless. When they started making the carbine 18.5” version is when they changed the safety to lock the bolt.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7656986 11/09/19 08:13 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I did check my gun and as Quitshootingyoungbucks said, the bolt will not move when safety is engaged. I did some cleaning of the trigger mechanism and seemed to help but the problem is still there. O well if you cant fixed the problem work around it. Thanks Daniel

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7657072 11/09/19 09:48 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

They added that feature around 82 or so. Mine was made in 79 (22” .243) and the bolt will move regardless. When they started making the carbine 18.5” version is when they changed the safety to lock the bolt.

On some they may have but those would be very near the end of production. I have owned 4 with the 18.5 inch barrel and none of them did the safety lock the bolt. But I think I do recall that perhaps some were built with the bolt locked on safety. I have as far as I know handled one.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7657128 11/09/19 10:42 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just checked mine out of curiosity (.22-250). My bolt locks with the safety engaged. Something else I noticed that I've never paid attention too before is when I raise my bolt with only light pressure to the stopping point, I can't pull it back. If I push up with more pressure, it has what feels like a second stopping point and it moves to the rear freely. As long as I don't baby the bolt when I'm raising it, it will go to the end of the stroke and work fine. On mine, the lugs obviously aren't completely cleared until it hits the actual end of the stroke.
I don't know if that helps, but you might try it and see.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7657135 11/09/19 10:57 PM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I just checked my 788 (243) out. The bolt will move with safety on so you can either load or unload casings. I do work the bolt firmly. The rifle is 2 years old.

Last edited by Dalee7892; 11/09/19 10:57 PM.
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: Dalee7892] #7657211 11/10/19 12:40 AM
J
jsteve Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dalee7892
I just checked my 788 (243) out. The bolt will move with safety on so you can either load or unload casings. I do work the bolt firmly. The rifle is 2 years old.

A 2 year old 788?????

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: Dalee7892] #7657214 11/10/19 12:41 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Dalee7892

I thought Remington quit making the 788 35-40 years ago.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7657222 11/10/19 12:56 AM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

On some they may have but those would be very near the end of production. I have owned 4 with the 18.5 inch barrel and none of them did the safety lock the bolt. But I think I do recall that perhaps some were built with the bolt locked on safety. I have as far as I know handled one.

Maybe it was toward the end. My dad had a 1974 22” .243 and it was in the shop for a broken ejector around 1982 or so. Thieves drove through the back door of the shop and stole $6000 worth of guns including his. Their insurance replaced it but with a brand new 18.5” .243 with the curved bolt. It would lock with the safety.

[Linked Image]

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: jsteve] #7657266 11/10/19 02:00 AM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
My bad eyes screwed up its a 783 sh!t.

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7657303 11/10/19 03:02 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Well, I have done everything that I can think of to solve the problem with very little success so I'm gonna leave it at home when we head to Ark for a meat hunt. Believe I will take the new 300 Ham'r and 7-08. You guys enjoy the week. Thanks Daniel

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7695940 12/22/19 06:56 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Well, I finally got to talk with a church member that is extremely knowledgeable about guns. He thinks the problem is the bolt stop spring & suggested I get a new spring kit. He said that has fixed the problem for him in the past with his 2 788's so I am going to get one on order. Thanks Daniel

Re: Remington Model 788 [Re: DLALLDER] #7695949 12/22/19 07:06 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Let the rest of us know what you find

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread