Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,487
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7532895 06/12/19 03:53 AM
Anton Chigurh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
[quote=Pitchfork Predator]The thread size is not the only requirement. You could have a smaller barrel diameter with the same thread count and it's not going to fit.

That doesn't even make sense 5/8-24 is 5/8-24.

Ok then I will explain: I have a .308 with the same thread count but a larger barrel profile(diameter) than my 6.8. The can would not fit both barrel profiles unless I added the wedge/brake made to fit the 6.8 barrel profile and the brake/wedge is made thicker or wider to accept the 30 cal can.

Unless your can comes past the shoulder back over the barrel, that still doesn't make any sense. As long as there is enough barrel to shoulder against the can on both rifles, you should be good to go.

Your "as long as their is enough barrel" is the answer to your question. There are many different barrel profiles that are thicker in diameter than others. My 6.8 and 6.5 CM are thinner profile barrels that would not fit my 30 cal can without the wedge/brake.

No offense, and I understand what you’re saying, but you aren’t explaining it very well. By thread count, I assume you mean thread diameter and pitch, such as 1/2”-28 and 5/8”-24tpi. I’m pretty sure “thread count” is only used to describe how soft your bed sheets will be..

I think you’re saying an advantage to brake attach, taper mount, or QD mounted suppressors is that you can easily adapt between different muzzle thread diameters on multiple barrels to utilize one suppressor. This is true, and I do that myself. That’s not to say you can’t use a simple thread adapter with a direct thread attach can also

Your statements about different size brake/wedges and barrel contours for different bore sizes seem confusing though. The size of your suppressor mount doesn’t change to suit caliber or barrel contour, only the inner female threads on said device would change to suit different muzzle threads. And most 308, 6.5 and 6.8 barrels are standard threaded 5/8”-24, although there are exceptions

I agree brake and taper mounts can help adapt when mounting a suppressor on multiple hosts. As Charles pointed out taper mounts can also provide a very consistent, solid lockup when screwing on your suppressor. But these type mounts aren’t the only way, and many of the QD type mounts are unnecessary for most THF type guys uses (hunting and recreational shooting). There’s nothing wrong with a direct thread can, especially for a guy who only wants to run a suppressor on a few similar rifles and doesn’t want to spend the additional $100 each.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: Anton Chigurh] #7532963 06/12/19 12:18 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Thanks for explaining better than I was able to. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: EasyMoney] #7533010 06/12/19 01:18 PM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I’d recommend Thunderbeast. Specifically the Ultra 7, great product!

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: EasyMoney] #7650734 11/03/19 05:23 PM
W
woods and plainsman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I'm about to get an Omega 300 whenever uncle sam decides its ok, they just changed wait time estimate from 9 to 10 months on me. I'm planning to attach the omega to a 6.5 creedmoor and a 300 WM. I'm leaning towards using the ASR mount with muzzle break on both guns and swapping the suppressor versus the direct connect, with the added cost of an extra muzzle brake. With the 300wm, don't the benefits of the muzzle brake outweigh the benefits of going direct connect? I like the simplicity and less cost of direct connect but think the benefit lost when not using the muzzle brake is important. I'm not an expert just looking for experienced opinions.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: woods and plainsman] #7650920 11/03/19 10:03 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by woods and plainsman
I like the simplicity and less cost of direct connect but think the benefit lost when not using the muzzle brake is important. I'm not an expert just looking for experienced opinions.

What benefit is lost when not using the muzzle brake?

#FighttheNoise
Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: ntxtrapper] #7650992 11/03/19 11:24 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
So basically you have pencil thin barrels that aren't large enough to be threaded 5/8-24. I can see the use of a adapter for that application.

I might go this route on pencil barrel 6.8 spc bolt gun I have. I'm trying to determine if it will shoot good enough to thread or if I need a barrel upgrade.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: EasyMoney] #7651116 11/04/19 01:41 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Any one use Innovative Arms. I finally got mine after 10.5 months. 7.62 LDSP

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: EasyMoney] #7651157 11/04/19 02:26 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Since paying and waiting for one is such a pain, I would choose one with the ability to run DT or with a muzzle device in case you want to change.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: HandgunHTR] #7652402 11/05/19 03:05 AM
W
woods and plainsman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I like the simplicity and less cost of direct connect but think the benefit lost when not using the muzzle brake is important. I'm not an expert just looking for experienced opinions.

I'm trying to reduce recoil as much as possible, its for my daughter. I assume a direct connect would have more recoil than if I install the ASR quick disconnect over the muzzle brake?

Last edited by woods and plainsman; 11/05/19 03:08 AM.
Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: woods and plainsman] #7653474 11/06/19 02:49 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

I'm trying to reduce recoil as much as possible, its for my daughter. I assume a direct connect would have more recoil than if I install the ASR quick disconnect over the muzzle brake?

I have seen no discernible difference in recoil between my direct thread suppressors and the ones that use the ASR mounts. You get a significant recoil reduction with any suppressor and I have found that with younger shooters a lot of times it actually isn't the recoil that is the issue, it is the muzzle blast. Once that is gone, they tend to handle shooting much better. The recoil reduction is just a bonus.

A quick anecdote to show my meaning here. While at the range this past weekend, a gentleman showed up with his daughter and son. I didn't ask, but I would put the daughter at 11-12 years and the son at 12-13 years. Dad had a variety of rifles, all of which had muzzle brakes on them. He also had an Omega suppressor. They first lined up with what I found out was a 6.5 Creedmoor with a radial style brake. He talked his daughter through the aiming process and trigger control. As soon as the shot went off, she burst into tears and all I heard was "it kicks too much". Her dad preceded to argue with her that because of the brake, it didn't kick her that much at all. However due to the brake and the muzzle blast, she was equating the blast to the "kick". After a while of her crying it out in the truck and her brother doing an excellent job of talking her back to the bench (Dad was being a bit of a tool). He got her to shoot the .300 blackout bolt gun with the suppressor. She had no problem. He then put the suppressor on a .308 bolt gun. Again, she shot that with no problem. I can pretty much bet that the actual recoil on the .308 with the suppressor was in line with or even a bit more than the Creed with the brake, but without the muzzle blast, she didn't seem to notice at all.

This is why suppressors should be removed from the NFA post-haste!

#FighttheNoise
Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: EasyMoney] #7653495 11/06/19 03:08 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
^^^^^^ Excellent post. I'm a lot like the 11 year old girl. I can't stand the blast/noise from a muzzle. I'd rather take the recoil. The suppressor is amazing because it reduces recoil and eliminates the blast.

Re: Suppressor opinions needed [Re: EasyMoney] #7653497 11/06/19 03:12 AM
R
rhettsker Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
HandgunHTR,

Truly a great post and absolutely spot on. Should be required reading.
R

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide