Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7652780 11/05/19 04:12 PM
H
HornSlayer Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Ok Called Hornady. Their technical service guy said that yes they have had bullets fly apart mid-flight. He noted that most often it is caused by the rifling and or the crown, but could be caused by a couple other things. He said for me to check for excess copper build-up in the groves which creates friction causing the hollowpoint to rip open. He also said a sharp land that cuts or fractures the jacket can cause a mid-flight failure.

After reading some of these post I was beginning to think I was imagining things, and none of this happened.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7652795 11/05/19 04:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Ok Called Hornady. Their technical service guy said that yes they have had bullets fly apart mid-flight. He noted that most often it is caused by the rifling and or the crown, but could be caused by a couple other things. He said for me to check for excess copper build-up in the groves which creates friction causing the hollowpoint to rip open. He also said a sharp land that cuts or fractures the jacket can cause a mid-flight failure.

After reading some of these post I was beginning to think I was imagining things, and none of this happened.

If you had been using a normal hunting bullet, it wouldn’t have separated.

I’ve never heard of a bullet flying at .308 speeds comming apart mid flight. However, if it did in-fact happen, why would you want to that fragile a bullet on a deer?

Order their ELD-X bullets if you want match accuracy in a hunting round.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7652803 11/05/19 04:39 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Did the Hornady tech service guy also tell you to use a hunting bullet?

Re: Frustrated [Re: unclebubba] #7652811 11/05/19 04:51 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Did the Hornady tech service guy also tell you to use a hunting bullet?

No, but I could tell he was thinking it.
hammer

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7652897 11/05/19 06:02 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Never heard of these issues with old fashioned lead tip bullets. I always thought they were extremely effective.

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7652912 11/05/19 06:21 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
You should ask about this in the ammunition and reloading section.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653067 11/05/19 08:51 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Why, is there a whole other group over there that will tell me to use a Hunting Bullet. lol
Actually, I didn't even know there was a Ammo and Reloading section?

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653080 11/05/19 08:58 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jimbo

This is going to be my new Sig line

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653094 11/05/19 09:08 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by redchevy
Sorry for your troubles. Some things that stand out. Behind the shoulder does not typically = DRT. Did you see fragments or find their impacts behind the deer? I don't think you could hear fragments hitting at 115 yards after the shot.

Does the rifle has some type of muzzle device that isn't securely or properly fastened? Did you shoot it again after the hunt to try and figure out any issues?

There isn't any kind of muzzle brake or Silencer mounted. My first thought was that I may have hit the fence wire which caused the bullet to break-up. I inspected the wire and there was no mark on it. Armalite recommends a BTHP Match grade bullet for the AR-10T. I tested these and some others and the Hornaby 168 gr BTHP Match bullets produced Moa groups for me.

As far as the sound, it was almost calm and I certainly heard fragments hitting the brush behind the feeder. If I had pulled the shot, would have had somehow lifted this 15 lb rifle a half inch to cleanly miss the deer. That's what is so frustrating, either this scope has some serious cold weather issues or these bullets are POS. Right now I'm leaning 80% toward bullet failure. The second shot was on a moving target through Mesquite branches and leaves. I heard the bullet pas through the leaves of the mesquite also and hit the buck. I would think if it were the scope that would have been a clean miss as well.

This will probably go over like a lead balloon......

Get yourself a real deer hunting setup and not something a flat brimmed wearer would show up with at the gun range and commence spraying ammo all over creation. It starts with a good, reliable rifle, good optics and not electronic crap, and good bullets of which there are many.

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653101 11/05/19 09:14 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Why, is there a whole other group over there that will tell me to use a Hunting Bullet. lol

Because there is countless people over there that use match bullets hpbt's etc. to hunt with and do fine. And then maybe the point will get across.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Frustrated [Re: redchevy] #7653106 11/05/19 09:23 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Because there is countless people over there that use match bullets hpbt's etc. to hunt with and do fine. And then maybe the point will get across.

Agree, there are a lot of handloaders that use the match bullets with success. I also believe that a lot of them use the match bullets for head and neck shots. Most will probably tell you that for shoulder shots where you are likely to encounter bone, a hunting bullet that is designed to hold together would be a better choice. Without differing opinions, we wouldn't have anything to argue about.

Re: Frustrated [Re: 68rustbucket] #7653143 11/05/19 10:06 PM
F
Foghornleghorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Try the Sierra Game King. I get mine at Academy, they are fairly priced.

Using the 130's in my Creedmoor and they are VERY accurate. Sub MOA and for the most part sub half MOA and SD's in the 4's and 6's. That said I had some Sierra 130's back in the 70's blow up just under the skin at 30yds. After he got out to 100 and the last bullet dropped him. I expect these to do much better and the reports have been good.

[img][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48111160788_c0291be642.jpg[/img]20190211_123655

Re: Frustrated [Re: redchevy] #7653183 11/05/19 11:01 PM
S
ScottA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
While im not a proponet of hunting with match bullets, I know thousands of deer and hogs are killed with them every year. You can blame it on whatever makes you feel good, but I don't think the bullet was your problem.

+1. It would be quite unlikely for a bullet to disintegrate in the air. My guess is for some reason you missed. It happens to all of us occasionally. Lord knows it’s happened to me!

If you want something done, tell a Texan its impossible
Re: Frustrated [Re: ScottA] #7653317 11/06/19 12:55 AM
N
Nightlight Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted by ScottA
While im not a proponet of hunting with match bullets, I know thousands of deer and hogs are killed with them every year. You can blame it on whatever makes you feel good, but I don't think the bullet was your problem.

+1. It would be quite unlikely for a bullet to disintegrate in the air. My guess is for some reason you missed. It happens to all of us occasionally. Lord knows it’s happened to me!

Last minute scope adjustments I speculate had something to do with it. But who knows

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653424 11/06/19 02:14 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

This is exactly what will happen. roflmao

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653498 11/06/19 03:13 AM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
In my mind, I conclude with absolute certainty bullet separation fits the facts as I know. When this happened the first time, I sent the rifle to my gunsmith and the scope to Sightmark trying to find the cause. If you have access to the archives of this forum you will see me asking if cold weather can make the POI in the Apex Thermal move. Both checked out perfectly. My scope was still in warranty, so if it was the scope, I wanted it fixed or replaced. Both times this occurred, I was using same ammo possibly out of the same box and the temps were in the 30's.

As far as me pulling a shot, that far, well that's absurd. I have killed multiple hogs including one that weighed 200lb's with a pellet gun at 125 yards out of the same deer blind. Shooting them in the heart no less. So to suggest I missed the shot is well ignorant to say not knowing me nor my ability. Additionally, we have the factory saying that it does happen and gives several reasons how, makes me wonder about some folks ability to comprehend what is written?

I think the stress of a cold barrel and bullet cracked the thin jacket causing it to rupture shortly after leaving the barrel. That's why I heard bullet fragments hitting the brush 40 yards behind feeder. The second shot was accurate and didn't separate because the barrel was warm. It is the only thing that fits the facts

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653551 11/06/19 05:09 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I have killed multiple hogs including one that weighed 200lb's with a pellet gun at 125 yards out of the same deer blind. Shooting them in the heart no less.

The hell kind of pellet gun are you shooting?

Re: Frustrated [Re: Sneaky] #7653561 11/06/19 05:38 AM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I have killed multiple hogs including one that weighed 200lb's with a pellet gun at 125 yards out of the same deer blind. Shooting them in the heart no less.

The hell kind of pellet gun are you shooting?

It's an .257 AirForce Condor, that has a custom valve, airtank, a R&L shroud/silencer shooting a 80gr Ranch Dog Hollow Point. It is tuned to shoot 4 shots at around 1050 FPS producing 200 FPE.
It is 50" long from Stem to Stern.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Basically, it is an AirForce Texan Prototype.

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653635 11/06/19 12:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^

Is that a match pellet or a hunting pellet?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7653688 11/06/19 01:52 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
In my mind, I conclude with absolute certainty bullet separation fits the facts as I know. When this happened the first time, I sent the rifle to my gunsmith and the scope to Sightmark trying to find the cause. If you have access to the archives of this forum you will see me asking if cold weather can make the POI in the Apex Thermal move. Both checked out perfectly. My scope was still in warranty, so if it was the scope, I wanted it fixed or replaced. Both times this occurred, I was using same ammo possibly out of the same box and the temps were in the 30's.

As far as me pulling a shot, that far, well that's absurd. I have killed multiple hogs including one that weighed 200lb's with a pellet gun at 125 yards out of the same deer blind. Shooting them in the heart no less. So to suggest I missed the shot is well ignorant to say not knowing me nor my ability. Additionally, we have the factory saying that it does happen and gives several reasons how, makes me wonder about some folks ability to comprehend what is written?

I think the stress of a cold barrel and bullet cracked the thin jacket causing it to rupture shortly after leaving the barrel. That's why I heard bullet fragments hitting the brush 40 yards behind feeder. The second shot was accurate and didn't separate because the barrel was warm. It is the only thing that fits the facts

The only facts are that you or your equipment screwed up. You know the saying 99% of mechanical failure is operator error.... After you claim to hear bullet fragments hit 40 yards behind a feeder at 115 yards so at 155 yards after the shot and hear a bullet going through mesquite leaves lol I know which I believe.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Frustrated [Re: txtrophy85] #7653708 11/06/19 02:14 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
^^^

Is that a match pellet or a hunting pellet?

up

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7680290 12/05/19 05:40 AM
H
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Went back to the lease and looked for any sign of the buck. Climbed up and down that dang Mountain going through the nastiest bunch of briar and thorns I've ever seen. I checked the gun and scope and all was good. Anyway, checked my gamecam and I guess this is the only trophy I'm gonna get on this one.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by HornSlayer; 12/05/19 05:41 AM.

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7680335 12/05/19 12:09 PM
T
TexasUplander Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
You should have just let this thread DIE! bolt

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7680362 12/05/19 01:05 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'd go to the store and get me a deer rifle and some ammo made for hunting...JMO

Re: Frustrated [Re: HornSlayer] #7680386 12/05/19 01:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I better steer clear of this one.... smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide