Print Thread
Live decoy question? #7647540 10/30/19 10:34 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
So I haven't checked the law, I'm just asking to see if anyone knows off the top of their head before I delve into it.

I know you can't use live decoys, but let's say during the split, could you go out, with no gun, and sit and watch?
I was listening to a podcast the other day and a guy was talking about how his dad used live decoys. He was talking about the placement of them and such. I just think it'd be the quickest way to learn how, why, and when to call, and it'd just be awesome to watch ducks work to a live decoy set up.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7647582 10/30/19 11:05 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
As long as you dont have a gun your fine

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7647624 10/30/19 11:47 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
If we miss one or two, we wont water swat em. We ll let em sit there to bring in other ducks. Sometimes it works, sometimes they ll jump up and leave again. About the closest to using a live decoy wo taking out a pet duck or 3.

Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7647929 10/31/19 03:39 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I hear and watch many ducks while fishing during the winter. Here them call and watch what they do when on the water. Take Gino's.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7651971 11/04/19 09:02 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I wouldn’t have my gun or ammo in the truck, but that isn’t hunting in my opinion, so you should be good. I don’t see how setting up during the split and observing without a gun would be considered hunting.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7651991 11/04/19 09:10 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
AKA bird watching. Depending on circumstances I might give green jeans a text ahead of time just to let him know. Definitely wouldn’t have a gun or shells in or on myself, boat or truck.

Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7652025 11/04/19 09:50 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Seems like just going and watching ducks without any interference would be the best way to observe their behavior rather than bring a shackled duck to see how wild ducks react to it..not to mention the hassle or am i missing something?

Re: Live decoy question? [Re: kdub] #7652081 11/04/19 10:28 PM
T
tdogg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by kdub
Seems like just going and watching ducks without any interference would be the best way to observe their behavior rather than bring a shackled duck to see how wild ducks react to it..not to mention the hassle or am i missing something?

Yeah I kind of wondered the same thing. I don't think a shackled duck would act the same as a duck in the wild as well. The best thing to do would be finding a hole that is holding ducks, and just watch them without putting any decoys out, and hiding really well.

Re: Live decoy question? [Re: tdogg] #7652119 11/04/19 10:58 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by tdogg

Yeah I kind of wondered the same thing. I don't think a shackled duck would act the same as a duck in the wild as well. The best thing to do would be finding a hole that is holding ducks, and just watch them without putting any decoys out, and hiding really well.

You're basically using a farm duck from what I understand. You put the ducks to where they can't see each other and apparently they'll talk up a storm to each other and anything flying over.
There's a reason live decoys aren't allowed anymore.

Re: Live decoy question? [Re: KWood_TSU] #7652144 11/04/19 11:22 PM
T
tdogg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

You're basically using a farm duck from what I understand. You put the ducks to where they can't see each other and apparently they'll talk up a storm to each other and anything flying over.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with animal cruelty as well as it being an advantage. A swimming duck is going to pull more ducks then decoys, but I still don't understand how this helps you. If the farm duck just quacks his [censored] off for 4 hours straight, are you gonna be the Barney blowing your duck call the entire duck hunt?

Re: Live decoy question? [Re: tdogg] #7652195 11/05/19 12:07 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

I'm pretty sure it has to do with animal cruelty as well as it being an advantage. A swimming duck is going to pull more ducks then decoys, but I still don't understand how this helps you. If the farm duck just quacks his [censored] off for 4 hours straight, are you gonna be the Barney blowing your duck call the entire duck hunt?

Since this seems to be over your head tdogg, read this, jeez.
https://www.wxpr.org/post/once-popular-art-hunting-live-decoys#stream/0

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide