texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Nash Thornton, Black-Buck, Privateer, Brad Groux, Jnmlopez
69147 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 109,135
bill oxner 89,216
SnakeWrangler 60,979
stxranchman 58,964
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 44,226
BMD 41,232
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics614,227
Posts11,481,877
Members84,147
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? #7650328 11/03/19 12:28 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 995
T
TurkeyWhisperer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 995
I am needing help with info on an M1 that I recently accquired. I don't know much about this gun. I inherited it from a family member.

Here is the info written on the gun:

US Carbine M1
Cal. 30 MI
3244526 (serial number I assume??)

Does anybody know the manufacturer and value of the gun based on this info? I has the bayonet with it.

Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TurkeyWhisperer; 11/03/19 12:28 AM.
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7650352 11/03/19 12:57 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,616
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,616
Saginaw (S.G.) based on my less than expert knowledge of them.


"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god."

- Aristotle
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7650375 11/03/19 01:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 995
T
TurkeyWhisperer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 995
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Saginaw (S.G.) based on my less than expert knowledge of them.


Thank you! Anybody know what a Saginaw might be worth?

Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7650439 11/03/19 03:33 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,616
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,616
No way to say based on just the pics and the serial number. There's a lot that goes into it, especially in the military firearms collectors market. You should have it appraised by a trusted and knowledgeable person.


"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god."

- Aristotle
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7650894 11/03/19 09:20 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 218
W
wsjaxIV Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
W
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 218
Saginaw is one of the more coveted, but not the most coveted, of all the manufacturers of the M1. There were over 6 million of them made and Saginaw Steering Gear accounted for just over 500,000.

As with all collectible weapons, it's all about condition. Also a component military weapons is whether or not it's all original. Weapons carried by a soldier in the field often took a beating so when they made it back to an armory they would be taken apart in large numbers to be inspected. If a stock or a barrel or whatever needed to be replaced that's what was done with no effort given to keeping any one rifle's parts together because that was not the goal.

The serial number says that your rifle was made in January 1944. I would take the rifle to a gun show to see what it's worth. In my experience, unless they are collectors, not all gunsmiths are able to place a value on older weapons. You can also check out gunbroker to see what rifles like this in similar condition are bringing.

The bayonet looks to have a cracked handle. It looks to be a parade type as nothing this shiny was used in the field.

It's a nice rifle! Best of luck!


"The world is littered with the bodies of people that tried to stick it to ole J.R."

J.R. Ewing, 1981
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: wsjaxIV] #7650933 11/03/19 10:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 995
T
TurkeyWhisperer Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 995
Originally Posted by wsjaxIV
Saginaw is one of the more coveted, but not the most coveted, of all the manufacturers of the M1. There were over 6 million of them made and Saginaw Steering Gear accounted for just over 500,000.

As with all collectible weapons, it's all about condition. Also a component military weapons is whether or not it's all original. Weapons carried by a soldier in the field often took a beating so when they made it back to an armory they would be taken apart in large numbers to be inspected. If a stock or a barrel or whatever needed to be replaced that's what was done with no effort given to keeping any one rifle's parts together because that was not the goal.

The serial number says that your rifle was made in January 1944. I would take the rifle to a gun show to see what it's worth. In my experience, unless they are collectors, not all gunsmiths are able to place a value on older weapons. You can also check out gunbroker to see what rifles like this in similar condition are bringing.

The bayonet looks to have a cracked handle. It looks to be a parade type as nothing this shiny was used in the field.

It's a nice rifle! Best of luck!


Thank so much for the great info!!

Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7650955 11/03/19 10:46 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 30,608
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 30,608
Not seeing a barrel loop on the bayonet, not sure it even fits that rifle.


Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: HWY_MAN] #7650981 11/03/19 11:13 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,616
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,616


Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Not seeing a barrel loop on the bayonet, not sure it even fits that rifle.


I didn't even pay it any mind in my previous posts. That is a German K98 Mauser dress bayonet.

[Linked Image]


"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god."

- Aristotle
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7654637 11/07/19 03:43 AM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 912
TXBoss Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 912
TurkeyWhisperer,
One thing to look for is any import stamps (BlueSky or other importer) that may be on the barrel. If it's not an import, the value will be better. Prices on these will fluctuate between $800 and $1100 based upon manufacturer and condition. Don't worry about it being a mixmaster as these have been through several arsenal rebuilds, as one of the other members has pointed out.

One good place for you to get information is through the Civilian Marksmanship Program's Forum.
Main page -

http://thecmp.org/

Forum -

http://forums.thecmp.org/

Spend some time in the CMP Sales section (although they aren't available anymore unless through their auction), you'll find a lot of good discussion and help.
You can then search in their marketplace and gather some intelligence on selling prices for you to gauge your rifle against.

Good luck and it's nice that you got a good piece of history.

Last edited by TXBoss; 11/07/19 03:45 AM.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment..." - W. Rogers
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7655374 11/07/19 11:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,265
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,265
So here's a random question. The US military has been using alpha/numeric designations for weapons systems for over a century, and they are usually sticklers for assigning a new number on each variation. But for some reason they used M1 for both the Garand and the Carbine. What's the story behind that?


Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7655415 11/07/19 11:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 178
D
diablodog Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
D
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 178
Because one was a carbine and one was a rifle . There was also M-1` stoves and such .

Re: Value and Info on my M1 Carbine??? [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7656481 11/08/19 11:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,734
Greg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,734
Man I love those little M1 Carbine’s. My mom has one she used to shoot with her dad when she was a kid, along with about 20 mags and a bucket full of fmj’s. It has always been one of my favorites to shoot. I think hers was made by the post office if I remember right.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2021 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3