Print Thread
Looking for property - need some input #7648618 10/31/19 09:38 PM
S
Slo_One Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I am finally buckling down and getting serious about my own little slice of heaven. Of course Edwards County comes immediately to mind with the abundant axis and what not roaming around out that way.

It seems like almost everything down that way was once a large ranch now chopped into smaller parcels with little to none of the single stand alone properties.

I am looking for roughly 100 acres +/-, but acreage and amenities dictate the overall price.

So my questions are what has been the overall experience dealing with the smaller tracts, (trespassing, vandalism, other property owner interruptions, etc) and also how is it dealing with a POA?

Is the Rocksprings area "the" place to look or are there other target rich environments out there?

Where would you be looking?

Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Slo_One] #7648916 11/01/19 03:47 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
We looked at a place south of Rocksprings several years ago. We didn't know it before we drove out there but it was part of one those big ranches that was chopped up into small tracts. I swear we must have seen 50 deer blinds on the road going in. No telling how many we didn't see. I wouldn't have bought that place, no matter the price. It's pretty country and there might be something worthwhile but I would sure check it out thoroughly befor buying. Just my 2cents

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Slo_One] #7649344 11/01/19 05:19 PM
E
ErikL Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
I believe you (slo one)have raised a very interesting question. I too have been looking in that area but have been hesitant. I am hopeful that your post will stimulate discussion/opinions/advice on thisđź‘Ť

Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Slo_One] #7649350 11/01/19 05:33 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
My place is on the smaller size, but it is what I could afford. We are in southern Brown County and the land was once part of a larger ranch that has been subdivided into smaller parcels - all of the land around me is low fence and ranges in size from 80 acres too 4-500. No problems with vandalism, good relationship with neighbors, lots of game, but limited with the AR restriction. I do not see a bunch of legal bucks, but some, and neighbors have shot some pretty good deer over the past several years. I think a lot of places will have pressure opening weekend and around the holidays, but not a lot going on mid-week which is when I try to be in the blind.

The beauty of ownership - it is yours to do what you want and not worry about lease partners or owners dictating how you manage. GO FOR IT!

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Slo_One] #7649477 11/01/19 08:53 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I own my place and have for many years but don't live there. Biggest issue is trespassers/poachers. No matter where you buy..

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: TexasKC] #7650093 11/02/19 05:53 PM
N
Nick1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Why wouldn’t you have bought no matter the price? Can you be more specific? Overhunted? I too have been looking and Rocksprings has so much land for sale. I haven’t been to look at any yet, but all the pics of these lands for sale websites show hundreds of whitetail and exotics. I can’t imagine there’s any deer left. For those that go there often, is there?

Last edited by Nick1; 11/02/19 06:00 PM.
Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Slo_One] #7650139 11/02/19 07:11 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Biggest mistakes when buying.
Not verifying property tax status / valuation & county requirements (CAD) to keep property in 1d, 1d1 or wildlife.
Believing photos in an add actually represent amount or quality of game.
Buying too far away from home.
Letting emotion get involved.
Not understanding the costs associated with bringing in elec or a water source if the property doesn't already have it and you either want them or might in the future. This goes for any improvements.
Not taking into consideration distance to necessities, gas, food, flat repair, hardware etc. at least emergency medical care.
Inexpensive land is inexpensive for a reason, always.
If the price was actually reasonable for the area and worth buying a neighbor or local probably would have, or that is what your offer has to beat.
In other words you'll have to pay more than anyone familiar with the area would consider reasonable.

Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Nick1] #7650188 11/02/19 08:44 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Nick1
Why wouldn’t you have bought no matter the price? Can you be more specific? Overhunted? I too have been looking and Rocksprings has so much land for sale. I haven’t been to look at any yet, but all the pics of these lands for sale websites show hundreds of whitetail and exotics. I can’t imagine there’s any deer left. For those that go there often, is there?

The place we looked at was a little over 100 acres IIRC with no electricity and no water. I forget all the details but I do remember that the nearest power was a mile away, there was no community water at all and the property was not fenced. We did see a few deer and some Axis but I didn't think the area could hold up under such intense hunting pressure, considering the number of blinds that were literally everywhere you looked. Add in the fact that it's hard to get a wildlife or 1D1 exemption in that county and it just wasn't worth it to us.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: TexasKC] #7650206 11/02/19 09:09 PM
N
Nick1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by TexasKC

The place we looked at was a little over 100 acres IIRC with no electricity and no water. I forget all the details but I do remember that the nearest power was a mile away, there was no community water at all and the property was not fenced. We did see a few deer and some Axis but I didn't think the area could hold up under such intense hunting pressure, considering the number of blinds that were literally everywhere you looked. Add in the fact that it's hard to get a wildlife or 1D1 exemption in that county and it just wasn't worth it to us.

Got it, so did you end up buying anything yet? If so , what, where? Thanks

Re: Looking for property - need some input [Re: Nick1] #7650217 11/02/19 09:31 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TexasKC

Got it, so did you end up buying anything yet? If so , what, where? Thanks

We already had 50 acres in Lee county. Its paid for so we just kept it and built our house here. If I can ever get my wife to quit working this is where we will retire to.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide