Print Thread
Define TROPHY #7649162 11/01/19 02:36 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Thanks Pigmoney, your Uncle Ted post raised a question. What is a trophy to me? I thought about it and I guess I've really only taken 3 in my life and they aren't scored by Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young. They were scored by the level of excitement I experienced. I've shot nice bucks and was excited but these really stick out. South Texas offers nice opportunities.

One was a bobcat that I stalked up on. I had just had shoulder surgery and could only use one arm. I was sitting in a field on some hay bells when I saw movement about 150 yards out. It was a bobcat slowly creeping for the river bottom. I was wearing a one of those leafy suits so I started easing towards the cat. Every time the cat would take a few steps I would move. When he stopped I stopped. I got to the cross fence and was able to prop my rifle on one of the posts. He was about 60 yards out and about to step into the tree line. I put it right on his front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I new he was down because I could see his leg kicking over the grass. I had removed the scope from my rifle because I was afraid the recoil from the 30.06 might tattoo me since I only had one hand and the other was strapped in place to heal. Not ideal for bobcat but I was after a deer.
[Linked Image]

Two is an old doe that my buddy wanted out before his leasing hunters came in. We all know that old "alarm doe" she keeps the whole herd on edge but never gets out in the open long enough for a shot, the one that keeps looking in the blind window stomping her hoof when you know you haven't moved or blinked but she wants you to. It took 2 sits for her to walk into 15 yards and turn broadside. She would come out lay her ears back then back in the brush. She walked all that way just inside the brush line where I couldn't see anything but here ears. She would only eat the corn on the edge so only her neck and head were out. Finally after about 45 minutes and all the other deer had moved on she came out 15 yards from me. She looked right at the stand and then looked towards the exit all the other deer took. She turned broadside and wack! Stuck her behind the shoulder and she cleared the fence row and ran 80 yards. She weighed 118 pounds. Couldn't find the picture of her but I'm going to keep looking.

My favorite is the antique buck that I had been watching on night trail cam pictures for years. I had one daylight picture of him 3 years earlier and he was already a 2nd or 3rd year deer. I saw him one evening before deer season as he passed my back tree line. The last time I saw him his antlers were not as impressive but were still very unique so I knew it was him. I'm guessing him to be around 7 at this point. I set up a ground blind 20 yards from his trail in hopes of seeing him again. Well its the second weekend of bow season and a nice drop in temperature has got deer on there feet. I saw some nice bucks that would tower over this old buck but they were not the ones I was looking for. I decided to pack up and head home since the ride was long and i told my wife I would be there for church in the morning. Well i here a snort and peak out the little crack in the side window and there he is. I settle back into my seat and he comes down the trail and stops broadside at 17 yards. He was so close I could smell him and it wasn't even the rut yet. I thought about reaching for my camera but instead I took the shot. I have never gotten the shakes like I did after that shot. I immediately called my wife to let her know i got that old ghost that had haunted me. He was a freak. She was laughing at me telling me my voice was all shaky and to just take a breath.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649215 11/01/19 03:10 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by hook_n_line

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now that's a cool old buck...but he doesn't score very high. Shame on you for taking a sub 160 class buck! smile

Every deer that I have taken is a trophy to me. That said, I do have a few that stand out. If you take a close look at the pic, you can see blood on the bridge of my nose. When I got back to the cabin, my Dad looked at the deer, then looked at me and said, "you saw that buck in your scope and just couldn't get close enough, could you?"
[Linked Image]

A big one that stands out is my first Bow Buck. I was in my late 20's. He was a spike. I was camping on Mr. Jones's property in OK. It was brutal cold and I was there for a week all alone. I shot this buck and took him back to camp and had quartered him, taken all the scrap meat, and the liver and heart. The pile of bones and skin was pretty devoid of any meat at all. That evening, Mr. Jones had driven up to check on me. He walked into camp while I was cooking a tenderloin dinner over the campfire. He looked at the pile of bones and commented on how good of a job I did with the butchering. Then he said, "Your Grandpa woulda been proud." Some animal ran off with the head that night, so I didn't get to do a european mount like I wanted to, but I always have the memory.

Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649220 11/01/19 03:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My first deer with a bow - a doe. I was 15 and back in 1979 hardly anyone in east TX bowhunted.

I will never top it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649227 11/01/19 03:23 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
My first deer at 47 years old, a little 6 point that barely made ARs. He looked like a giant to me and I shook so hard after the shot I could barely take a picture to let my SIL know I had one down. Still trying for my first with a bow!

Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649234 11/01/19 03:32 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Trophy is in the eye of the hunter, I have been lucky enough to take some decent mule deer in my home state and 4 whitetail in Texas. When people ask me what did it score I say "don't know, don't care" its a trophy to me. I have not scored a buck yet because its more about making memories and enjoying God's creation than what an animal scores. 2cents

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: Define TROPHY [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7649236 11/01/19 03:32 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
To me a trophy is a buck that's exceptional for the area. It's not always the score that makes him exceptional, but on our ranch the exceptional deer are typically in the 145-165 range. We usually find at least 1 or 2 that top 150 and every 3-4 years we find 1 or 2 that top 160. I had the good fortune of taking one that topped 170 in 2010.

It is not uncommon for us to not shoot any trophies in a given year.

This year I'm hoping my son will take his first doe. No doubt he'll be excited and we will treasure that moment forever, but I don't think either one of us will call it a trophy. We don't need to call it a trophy for it to be meaningful. Trust me, it will be a big deal.

Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649336 11/01/19 05:09 PM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
A real trophy for me was my first ever spring gobbler killed by me after 8 seasons of trying. In fact, I had decided that if I didn't get one during that season, that I was going to give up hunting them. I had taken others hunting with me and I always let them shoot first and we had taken 5 birds over the years up to that point but I had not harvested one and when it was my turn, I just couldn't seal the deal.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649347 11/01/19 05:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I’m of the same mindset as Grosvenor.

I hunt for mature animals that are exceptional for an area. I also hunt for the thrill of pulling the trigger or letting an arrow fly, So to me does and culls are a big added bonus.

I’ve been fortunate to shoot a lot of deer and other animals. I’ve never shot a truly big whitetail for south Texas but I’ve shot some decent ones that made the wall.

I also agree that some animals mean more than others regardless of measurement or score but I think most would agree shooting a record book head means something to almost hunters

This is my all time favorite animal to date. He is extremely large for his species but his story I why I like him so much. Shot at him 3 times over the course of 3 years before I finally got him.

[Linked Image]

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649361 11/01/19 06:04 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
A trophy to me, is a mature animal that is bigger than the biggest animal I currently have on the wall.

Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649408 11/01/19 07:40 PM
G
Gemlin Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Any animal that gets your heart in your throat and makes you think... "I need to shoot this" After you get it down your still excited and want to talk about it in camp.

That's a trophy. Whether its a 12pt buck, spike or a doe.

Best trophy any one can have is to watch you child take their first game animal. The excitment and memories will be the best cherished trophy anyone could have.

Guess what I'm saying is the memorable experiences are the trophy, NOT the animal.

Re: Define TROPHY [Re: Gemlin] #7649423 11/01/19 08:06 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Gemlin
Any animal that gets your heart in your throat and makes you think... "I need to shoot this" After you get it down your still excited and want to talk about it in camp.

Best trophy any one can have is to watch you child take their first game animal. The excitment and memories will be the best cherished trophy anyone could have.

Guess what I'm saying is the memorable experiences are the trophy, NOT the animal.

Yes sir. Glory fades but the memory lasts forever.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649426 11/01/19 08:08 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Originally Posted by Gemlin

Yes sir. Glory fades but the memory lasts forever.

X2...especially watching your child take their first one.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Define TROPHY [Re: hook_n_line] #7649428 11/01/19 08:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Anything that can bring admiration in the eyes of its owner.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide