Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Game Warden Question #7646741 10/30/19 07:38 AM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
A couple seasons back, I shot a buck at dusk. He ran off and I was able to see a lot of blood on the ground before my flashlight quit.
I got in my truck and headed to my cabin to retrieve a working flashlight; half way there, my grandson met me in his truck and asked what's up.
I told him and he said that his light was working O.K. and he would find my deer.
10 minutes later, he showed up at the cabin with the buck and hung him on my skinning rig. I sat down at a table in the cabin and started filling out my tag.
Now a game warden shows up and comes into the cabin, after introductions, he asks what I am doing.
Its pretty obvious what I was doing, he saw me when he walked in the door while I was filling out my tag.
He gives me a lot of s___ about the need to fill out and attach my tag, IMMEDIATELY after the kill.
Pretty hard to do with no light,...
He wrote me a "warning" ticket.
I thought that he was over efficious.,and told him so.
What say you??

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646742 10/30/19 08:17 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
There’s good reason they require it to be done immediately. You use the light as your excuse, but you didn’t use it when it became available. You’re also whining about a warning. You don’t seem to think it’s a big deal, yet here you are making it one.

He probably would have given you a ticket for calling him efficious, if he could figure out what the hell you even meant.

I say....you were lucky.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646746 10/30/19 09:15 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Im with the GW on this one. After a couple of seasons you still remember and your wallet wasn't lightened a few hundred dollars.

I wasn't there of course, but of it were me I would have joined your Grandson. The GW might have been thinking the same thing but heard your story and decided to write a warning instead.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646762 10/30/19 10:37 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
You do not fill out your tag until you find the deer dead. It is not his job to harass people but to keep lawbreakers from getting away with doing stupid stuff. Common sense says you were no criminal trying to get away with something.
That is an over zealous warden pulling a power move.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646772 10/30/19 10:55 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You killed a deer when the sun was setting. It is 2019, there is zero excuse for not having a light on you for the evening hunt. In fact a hand held as well as a headlamp are both inexpensive, light weight, and available all over the place. Don't want to carry lights, dont hunt in the evening, because the deer must be tagged before moving the deer.

He has heard didn't have a light, didn't have a pen, didn't have a way of cutting out the date notches. If people do not want to comply to those rules they can stay at the house and not kill the state's deer.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646773 10/30/19 10:56 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I say you should have used your grandson's light, went to your deer and tagged it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: decook] #7646774 10/30/19 11:01 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by decook
Im with the GW on this one. After a couple of seasons you still remember and your wallet wasn't lightened a few hundred dollars.

I wasn't there of course, but of it were me I would have joined your Grandson. The GW might have been thinking the same thing but heard your story and decided to write a warning instead.

Had a member a few years ago posted pic's of a nice buck posed up against an old barn as a backdrop. A member here noticed it hadn't been tagged yet and mentioned it. Turns out the pictures were taken after it had been hauled back to camp and gutted, in fact there was never a tagged picture. He came up with a story similar to the op's but the fact was he failed to immediately tag the deer. Not sure how it ended but I do know we have several Game Wardens that frequent this forum. The Fred story was a good one, he'd shot a deer and posted pictures here, what he failed to say was where he shot it. Seems that buck had been taken in an AR county and a game warden even helped Fred look for the buck. They gave up looking and the GW left, seems Fred had them looking in the wrong area because he knew the buck wouldn't make AR minimums. Same Warden saw Fred's post on here and decided to have a little talk with Fred. Fred hasn't posted here since.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646776 10/30/19 11:08 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I insist on everyday tagging the deer immediately, absolutley immediately.

1). Shoot deer
2). Make sure deer is dead
3). Tag the deer
4). Do other stuff

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646779 10/30/19 11:16 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DH3
A couple seasons back, I shot a buck at dusk. He ran off and I was able to see a lot of blood on the ground before my flashlight quit.
I got in my truck and headed to my cabin to retrieve a working flashlight; half way there, my grandson met me in his truck and asked what's up.
I told him and he said that his light was working O.K. and he would find my deer.
10 minutes later, he showed up at the cabin with the buck and hung him on my skinning rig. I sat down at a table in the cabin and started filling out my tag.
Now a game warden shows up and comes into the cabin, after introductions, he asks what I am doing.
Its pretty obvious what I was doing, he saw me when he walked in the door while I was filling out my tag.
He gives me a lot of s___ about the need to fill out and attach my tag, IMMEDIATELY after the kill.
What say you??

Guilty as charged and whiny too. You broke the law and then get mad when a game warden points that out. Then he gives you a warning and your still whining about it two years latter. I've filled out tags by lighter light, flash light and head lights. You fill out that tag before it's loaded and moved. Game Warden had you dead to rights and he let ya go. Your lucky you didn't get your grandson in trouble also, you left him hauling an un-tagged deer that he didn't shoot. That could have really went bad for him.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 10/30/19 11:19 AM.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: HWY_MAN] #7646780 10/30/19 11:22 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Originally Posted by DH3
What say you??

Guilty as charged and whiny too. You broke the law and then get mad when a game warden points that out. Then he gives you a warning and your still whining about it two years latter. I've filled out tags by lighter light, flash light and head lights. You fill out that tag before it's loaded and moved. Game Warden had you dead to rights and he let ya go. Your lucky you didn't get your grandson in trouble also, you left him hauling an un-tagged deer that he didn't shoot. That could have really went bad for him.

Good point. I doubt any would pursue it without just cause, but he can be nailed as an accomplice.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646784 10/30/19 11:33 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You were lucky. Gotta follow the law.

These guys, usually alone, walk into a camp of men with rifles, and there have quite possibly been a few alcoholic beverages already consumed. Even if they have a bit of an attitude (can you blame them?), they have my respect.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646793 10/30/19 11:38 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Laws very clear. You don't move the deer until its tagged. If he would have caught the grandson with the untagged deer he would have got the ticket.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Sneaky] #7646800 10/30/19 11:49 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I doubt any would pursue it without just cause, but he can be nailed as an accomplice.

I doubt it also but a cranky old grand dad could have changed that outcome. So in spite of the cranky grand dad the warden still kept his composure and only issued a warning, grand pa should be feeling very lucky instead of complaining on an open forum about a situation he created.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646815 10/30/19 12:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I agree with all of the above. The law is clear, and it’s not complicated.

For photos though, I remove the tag for a second and lay it on the carcass while the photo is taken. I’m not saying that’s wrong or right, but it is what I do. I don’t like a tag on the antlers in a photo.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646854 10/30/19 12:59 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
It's on you. Instead of whining about the GW be thankful you only received a warning. Geez, this happened two seasons ago? Hang onto your anger much?

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: ChrisB] #7646891 10/30/19 01:27 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Laws very clear. You don't move the deer until its tagged. If he would have caught the grandson with the untagged deer he would have got the ticket.

Doubtful. Possible I suppose...but most GW's upon hearing the story should recognize the Grandson was NOT involved in the hunting/taking of the animal...only the 'retrieval'. It is NOT required that the person who killed the animal also retrieve it. There could very easily be extenuating circumstances with a hunt that a Game Warden might want to consider.

In this case...the Hunter should have filled out a tag...given it to the Grandson to attach to the animal before it was moved, then there would have been no problem.

It would also be well....to make sure when you go afield that you have all the proper equipment and that it works. As concerns flashlights I NEVER go evening hunting with just one flashlight. Too much possibility of a failure. (One is none, two is one). These days... a source of light (flashlight of some sort) can be had for little money and can be very small. Take two.

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/30/19 01:29 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: HWY_MAN] #7646924 10/30/19 01:43 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
I doubt any would pursue it without just cause, but he can be nailed as an accomplice.

I doubt it also but a cranky old grand dad could have changed that outcome. So in spite of the cranky grand dad the warden still kept his composure and only issued a warning, grand pa should be feeling very lucky instead of complaining on an open forum about a situation he created.

Nailed it, again.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: J.G.] #7646928 10/30/19 01:43 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
He has heard didn't have a light, didn't have a pen, didn't have a way of cutting out the date notches. If people do not want to comply to those rules they can stay at the house and not kill the state's deer.

Yes, there are many convenient excuses for not tagging a deer immediately, and I'm sure it's something that's often done later.

Your story is one that points to the fact that no one is guilty or guaranteed to be fined just because someone hands you a ticket. It's why the officer should always tell you "This is not an admission of guilt." Thankfully, a local judge has a final decision on that one. Should you ever feel the judge is going to side with you, take the ticket with a smile knowing you'll have your day in court.

While I'm very supportive of all LEO's, we all know there are some who enjoy being overzealous.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/30/19 01:49 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: flintknapper] #7646936 10/30/19 01:47 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by ChrisB

Doubtful. Possible I suppose...but most GW's upon hearing the story should recognize the Grandson was NOT involved in the hunting/taking of the animal...only the 'retrieval'. It is NOT required that the person who killed the animal also retrieve it. There could very easily be extenuating circumstances with a hunt that a Game Warden might want to consider.

In this case...the Hunter should have filled out a tag...given it to the Grandson to attach to the animal before it was moved, then there would have been no problem.

It would also be well....to make sure when you go afield that you have all the proper equipment and that it works. As concerns flashlights I NEVER go evening hunting with just one flashlight. Too much possibility of a failure. (One is none, two is one). These days... a source of light (flashlight of some sort) can be had for little money and can be very small. Take two.

It isn’t likely, but it’s entirely possible. I’ve been told that, myself, by a game warden. Like HWY_MAN mentioned, pushing your luck is a good way to find out.

To be clear, the grandson wouldn’t have received the ticket for the original offense. He would/could be charged as an accomplice, per my conversation with a game warden.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Texas Dan] #7646946 10/30/19 01:49 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Yes, there are many convenient excuses for not tagging a deer immediately, and I'm sure it's something that's often done later.

Your story is one that points to the fact that no one is guilty or guaranteed to be fined just because someone hands you a ticket. Thankfully, a local judge has a final decision on that one. Should you ever feel the judge is going to side with you, take the ticket with a smile knowing you'll have your day in court.

While I'm very supportive of all LEO's, we all know there are some who enjoy being overzealous.

I agree, and I normally wouldn’t think much of this situation. However, this particular poster has a bit of a reputation of belligerence.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: Choctaw] #7646950 10/30/19 01:52 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Choctaw
It's on you. Instead of whining about the GW be thankful you only received a warning. Geez, this happened two seasons ago? Hang onto your anger much?

This was brought up before, immediately after it happened. And DH3 got exactly the same responses from everyone, and argued back with everyone.

What does that tell you?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646955 10/30/19 01:53 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
stir

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646968 10/30/19 02:00 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I dont pretend that I've never broken/bent the rules in life. I catch myself speeding, and every once in a while do it on purpose. I'll get away with it 1000 times but every 4-5 years have been pulled over. If I get a ticket, it's on me. If I get a warning, Im grateful for the leniency & try and be cognizant of my speed for as long as I can either way. Im sure you've spent your hunting life doing things the right way and this was a one off mistake & you seemed like an honest enough guy to the GW to get a pass on this one, otherwise he'd have certainly given you a ticket. Good reminder either way we all need to take every bit of these rules seriously, as much as we can.

Re: Game Warden Question [Re: J.G.] #7646970 10/30/19 02:01 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Choctaw

This was brought up before, immediately after it happened. And DH3 got exactly the same responses from everyone, and argued back with everyone.

What does that tell you?

Good ol JG, Keeping his post count up!!

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Game Warden Question [Re: DH3] #7646983 10/30/19 02:10 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I'd be happy you got a warning! Game warden could've written you a ticket.

My buddy hunted my place last year and got a doe. Tagged it right away, field dressed it and then brought it to the local processor. He got a call several weeks later from a game warden who had visited the processor and noticed there was a red drum tag on the deer instead of a deer tag. Oops.

The game warden called him up and made him take a picture of his license and text it to him. Game warden realized it was an honest mistake and mailed him a warning. This was another situation where a ticket could've been easily written, but the game warden gave him a break and told him to make sure it didn't happen again.

I mention this story to show that many game wardens are pretty lenient. Most of the ones I've encountered aren't out to get you and understand humans make mistakes. I imagine they give you s___ to help make sure you won't do it again. The game warden who contacted my buddy gave him a lot of s___ and rest assured he'll never make that mistake again smile

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide