Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Be nice to your local pig trappers. #7645685 10/29/19 01:21 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
New guy here long time lurker (like 10 yrs+) but a particular situation i just had involving a cross between two hobbies has me begging the question: do you guys that spend big money on a lease then a lot of money keeping the pigs away from all that money you spend on corn, all really hate the local pig trappers? Now, I’ll admit that’s a loaded question, I know not all hunters are the same, some of the places I trap on they are good as gold and appreciate what I do. And I’m also a deer hunter, but trapping pigs is my main hobby and shooting does for eating the second.

What happened was I was out checking traps and this hunter, who shows up about twice a year and complains about never seeing deer on the friend of mines place he leases, straight up told me he didn’t want me out there at all and would shoot any pigs he found in my traps, as he liked eating them. Didn’t go over so well with me and we came to a mutual agreement after landowner told him I could trap anywhere I wanted on the place and while he had shot 1 pig that weekend I had trapped 30 that were rooting his wheat field in 1 week. Landowner went as far as to tell me he’d offer me the lease (it’s small) when he gets tired of out of town guy trying to make all the rules.

I trap almost exclusively with a cellular trap and rarely use box traps except on places I have no signal. I have access to 6 places spanning almost 15,000 acres. I don’t pull my trigger on opening weekend and try not to on other weekends during deer season unless it’s 10 or more pigs in the trap or I know the hunters aren’t there. I get the pigs out at night as they’re easier to load and you’d be surprised at the amount of deer that just stand in the field as I’m driving by. I feel like I do the best that I can as far as being courteous and not spooking game since guys spend big money on some of these leases, but truth be told they see my truck so often the deer don’t even spook.

Long rant over, I apologize for that, but how many other guys don’t mind the trapper helping out with the pig problem?

P.S. the landowner who’s losing crops will always prefer to have the pigs removed ASAP vs waiting for his hunters to kill them off, just a FYI from the ranchers mouth passed on to you guys. Also FYI I can trap an entire sounder and you will have more pigs in 30 days sometimes less!

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645694 10/29/19 01:28 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Do the LO's you trap for make it clear to his hunters that he has a trapper that can access the lease at any time to check traps and gather hogs? I wouldn't hunt a place with those types of rules but if it's made clear to the guys that are hunting it up front and they agree to it, there's really not much for them to say about it. I've had one or two negative experiences with trappers so I'd never cross that bridge again but it doesn't mean all situations are negative.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645698 10/29/19 01:30 PM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't want hogs trapped....I enjoy hunting them and eating them.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: tShawnB] #7645704 10/29/19 01:37 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Four of the six places no longer lease to hunters, too much headache. The friends place that the incident occurred he asked me to come trap because the pigs were destroying his wheat field. I didn’t know he had it leased at the time and turns out is a handshake lease for dirt cheap on a small place that the hunter used to hunt for free. I now make it a point to tell a landowner when they ask me to trap “do you have hunters” and if so “talk to them first”. The big place I trap the hunters actually like me to set up around their feeders so they don’t have to buy panels to erect enclosures. I’m talking 40-50 feeders on this place.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: 5Redman8] #7645706 10/29/19 01:38 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
But see the landowners don’t think that way. Now absentee landowners are a different story, I only have one of those and they don’t allow hunting so it’s a non issue.

Last edited by PigMoney; 10/29/19 01:39 PM. Reason: Cell phone buttons too small!

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645708 10/29/19 01:41 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
What are some of the negative experiences, if for nothing else so that I can avoid making those same mistakes?

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645718 10/29/19 01:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Sounds like the guy was a jerk. That said, I wouldn’t want to lease a place where well guys, pig trappers, cattle lessee, crop harvesters, landowner’s kids/grandkids etc., etc. (all or some mix of them) are buzzing around during deer season. Been there, done that. IMO pig trapping can be done in the offseason if you lease out hunting rights.

I realize many times the hunter doesn’t get a say in all of that. That’s why I bought my own place over 15 years ago.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645769 10/29/19 02:29 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If I were leasing a place for the hunting rights I would not want someone in there trapping hogs. I guess it should be in the lease contract if the land owner had a trapper using the same property. Most hunters these days whether they admit it or not really like having a few hogs around for some extra trigger time.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645774 10/29/19 02:32 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Fewer hogs eating the corn I prefer to go to the deer is way okay here. Trap on!

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: 5Redman8] #7645776 10/29/19 02:37 PM
P
pine knott Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
I don't want hogs trapped....I enjoy hunting them and eating them.

You have never had your yard torn up have you?

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645814 10/29/19 03:09 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
We trap pigs on our place just to try and keep the population down. Most of the time, we just pile them up 100 yards from Gammaw's stand so she can shoot coyotes. She loves to do that. We do clean a few of them in the winter when they are fat, and yes they are good eating. As much as we trap and kill, you can't tell that any of them are missing. As far as hunting opportunities, you will never get rid of them by trapping or hunting. You just can't. So, not wanting them trapped because you like to hunt them does not make sense to me.

I don't lease, I hunt on family land, but if I were to lease, I would not want a trapper there the day before I plan to hunt, or during my hunt. My suggestion would be to get the contact info of the hunters, and explain that you are trapping at the request of the LO. Let the hunters know that you don't want to ruin any of their hunts, and find out when they will be there. Communication in advance will go a long way to having a good relationship...and might even spur some cooperation with the hunters where you will both benefit.

edit: by the way, welcome to the forum! welcome

Last edited by unclebubba; 10/29/19 03:10 PM.
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645841 10/29/19 03:25 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Come get them all! As long as your respecting our hunting, not rolling in as my feeder goes off, then all is good. I don't want to shoot them, don't want to eat them, and don't want to have to drag them off.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: unclebubba] #7645842 10/29/19 03:26 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by unclebubba
We trap pigs on our place just to try and keep the population down. Most of the time, we just pile them up 100 yards from Gammaw's stand so she can shoot coyotes. She loves to do that. We do clean a few of them in the winter when they are fat, and yes they are good eating. As much as we trap and kill, you can't tell that any of them are missing. As far as hunting opportunities, you will never get rid of them by trapping or hunting. You just can't. So, not wanting them trapped because you like to hunt them does not make sense to me.

I don't lease, I hunt on family land, but if I were to lease, I would not want a trapper there the day before I plan to hunt, or during my hunt. My suggestion would be to get the contact info of the hunters, and explain that you are trapping at the request of the LO. Let the hunters know that you don't want to ruin any of their hunts, and find out when they will be there. Communication in advance will go a long way to having a good relationship...and might even spur some cooperation with the hunters where you will both benefit.

edit: by the way, welcome to the forum! welcome

This is the method I prefer, and the guy I had the incident with now text me when he’s in town. In fact, as a courtesy to him I pulled my trap off the place two weeks ago but I can guarantee you the deer don’t care about a trap. I’ve had deer in my cell trap all morning eating peanuts and corn so in affect I’m fattening up the deer for me and the neighbors ( trap is on place I hunt, smack dab next to my feeder and now that hogs are temporarily gone the deer are hammering it, setting myself up for a good opening weekend!).

My point is, and as shown above, is we all have to do our part in keeping the hogs in check otherwise they will approve the poison that’s already in the works and kill the fun for all of us. Wanting to keep pigs around is rather foolish and will only cause more headaches for everyone. I tell the hunters if you see a pig outside the trap by all means heck yeah shoot it. You are not hurting my success rate non the bit, and if it’s a big dominant boar or sow removing it allows me to catch larger groups of “money pigs” I.E. 100-150 pounders that make up the bulk of sounders and pay good. Every single landowner I’ve talked to and trapped for that lives and works in the land or at least in town does not want any pigs left behind.

Last edited by PigMoney; 10/29/19 03:30 PM.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: tShawnB] #7645914 10/29/19 04:30 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by tShawnB
Do the LO's you trap for make it clear to his hunters that he has a trapper that can access the lease at any time to check traps and gather hogs? I wouldn't hunt a place with those types of rules but if it's made clear to the guys that are hunting it up front and they agree to it, there's really not much for them to say about it. I've had one or two negative experiences with trappers so I'd never cross that bridge again but it doesn't mean all situations are negative.

That would be my issue. If a landowner is going to lease hunting rights and then give someone else permission to trap the place, that needs to be disclosed in writing up front to the guy leasing and there needs to be some reduction in price. The guy OP dealt with sounds like a jerk, but his issue may ahve been with the land owner.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645924 10/29/19 04:39 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
To me ( a landowner with pigs) I would say you are doing it pretty 'right'.

WHEN and HOW you check your traps.... or remove hogs would be the primary concern.

Provided you can do that at times when it doesn't disturb hunters (or the deer) I see no issue trapping during the deer season. To be effective, you can't just stop trapping for 3 months.

I've been trying to control hogs on my property for about 30 yrs. now. I have large pen traps, snares, two dedicated hog stands with feeders and lights. I put a 'dent' in them, but of course...they just keep making more. You have to do whatever you can to reduce their numbers. A SINGLE hog and it's offspring (in a normal lifespan) will produce many hundreds of hogs. So taking even ONE...is worth the effort.

Landowners will always love you. Hunters (especially those who lease) will revile you. Hunters seem to want something other than deer to shoot, they could care less the damage hogs do and the impact they have on the environment. If I had my way...there would not be a single feral hog in the State of Texas. But they are here to stay and an entire industry has been built around them.

Trap on....and good luck.

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/29/19 04:40 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645945 10/29/19 04:58 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Trap on with courtesy to hunters as you've indicated. If you don't mind sharing, what country area are you trapping in case I could get you to come to my hunting lease.
On my private East TX property we have large traps right next to our deer feeder pens and deer use both. Truck in that field everyday checking cows and often driving down to the trap. never been an issue with deer but we don't drive up to it in morning or evening prime time deer hunting times. We do it mid day and still see deer that afternoon sit including shooters. Kill all you see and trap as many as you can but you can't get them all. Nature multiplies to fast

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: flintknapper] #7645957 10/29/19 05:08 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by flintknapper

WHEN and HOW you check your traps.... or remove hogs would be the primary concern.

Provided you can do that at times when it doesn't disturb hunters (or the deer) I see no issue trapping during the deer season. To be effective, you can't just stop trapping for 3 months.

I've been trying to control hogs on my property for about 30 yrs. now. I have large pen traps, snares, two dedicated hog stands with feeders and lights. I put a 'dent' in them, but of course...they just keep making more. You have to do whatever you can to reduce their numbers. A SINGLE hog and it's offspring (in a normal lifespan) will produce many hundreds of hogs. So taking even ONE...is worth the effort.

Landowners will always love you. Hunters (especially those who lease) will revile you. Hunters seem to want something other than deer to shoot, they could care less the damage hogs do and the impact they have on the environment. If I had my way...there would not be a single feral hog in the State of Texas. But they are here to stay and an entire industry has been built around them.

x2

Most hunters as this thread shows talk a big game when it comes to ethics, game management etc.....as long as it doesn’t get in the way of what they want IMO........

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645958 10/29/19 05:10 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by PigMoney
What are some of the negative experiences, if for nothing else so that I can avoid making those same mistakes?

welcome

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7645979 10/29/19 05:35 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
welcome

agree with several others that communication would be key between you and lease hunter ... and not hitting there during prime time hunting.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7645980 10/29/19 05:35 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

x2

Most hunters as this thread shows talk a big game when it comes to ethics, game management etc.....as long as it doesn’t get in the way of what they want IMO........

Actually, this thread shows that most hunters DON'T mind trapping hogs, with some actually applauding it. Only two of the replies were against.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: flintknapper] #7646072 10/29/19 06:54 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P

Thanks, as I get more and more properties to trap I’m just trying to get s feel about how the hunters feel. I prefer to avoid places with hunters but those are the best places to trap hogs because they’re feed corn year round!

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7646077 10/29/19 06:58 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
Trap on with courtesy to hunters as you've indicated. If you don't mind sharing, what country area are you trapping in case I could get you to come to my hunting lease.
On my private East TX property we have large traps right next to our deer feeder pens and deer use both. Truck in that field everyday checking cows and often driving down to the trap. never been an issue with deer but we don't drive up to it in morning or evening prime time deer hunting times. We do it mid day and still see deer that afternoon sit including shooters. Kill all you see and trap as many as you can but you can't get them all. Nature multiplies to fast

We trap Hall, Childress, Collingsworth and Cottle County. If I have cell service I prefer to use my cellular trap. I like to load out pigs after dark and can be selective when I pull the trigger, I.E. if hunters are there Friday though Monday I don’t have to even step foot on the property those days. I feel moving to the cell traps from box traps makes it less intrusive for both hunters and me as I leave less scent not checking/baiting everyday.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646114 10/29/19 07:31 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

We trap Hall, Childress, Collingsworth and Cottle County. If I have cell service I prefer to use my cellular trap. I like to load out pigs after dark and can be selective when I pull the trigger, I.E. if hunters are there Friday though Monday I don’t have to even step foot on the property those days. I feel moving to the cell traps from box traps makes it less intrusive for both hunters and me as I leave less scent not checking/baiting everyday.

I have to say....my hat is off to you for soliciting the thoughts and feelings of hunters and how you might make your interactions with the Land Owner and them the best experience possible. That is a thoughtful way to approach and advance your activities. Good job Sir.

Flint.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646125 10/29/19 07:41 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Hunted a 7000 acre ranch in Scurry and Fisher counties and we were covered up in hogs. We had the government trapper come out and he removed over 400 hogs in a single year, and we couldn't tell much difference in how many we saw. We never noticed it bothering the deer hunting at all.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: flintknapper] #7646170 10/29/19 08:25 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P

I have to say....my hat is off to you for soliciting the thoughts and feelings of hunters and how you might make your interactions with the Land Owner and them the best experience possible. That is a thoughtful way to approach and advance your activities. Good job Sir.

Flint.

I just hope to expand my hobby into more of a part time business eventually, bonded, insured, what not and want to get an idea of how out of town hunters perceive the local trapper. It would make most people sick that pay fortunes leasing land to know the opportunities I get with landowners to hunt because they’ve been burned one too many times by “those dang DFW hunters”. It has been my observation that while the locals do enjoy the income deer season brings in, more and more of them eventually get fed up with what goes from being a deer lease to an atv Park in the summer, camping/ party spot, etc. it’s actually hard for me to lease places because they want me to hunt for free since they do not want any kind of contract even verbal or handshake.

While I do also hunt and am always actively searching for a spot on a good lease, it’s the hunters like the one I had a run in with that turn me off to deer hunting except on my little 100 acre oasis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide