Forums46
Topics537,948
Posts9,730,972
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642186 10/25/19 09:00 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
GC 411.205 is still on the books-- that requires the license holder to provide BOTH their LTC AND DL when requested to identify themselves to a peace officer. However, there is not a penalty associated with this code.... confused2

BEST PRACTICE-- provide your dang LTC if you have it and announce if you are armed and where it is located WITHOUT REACHING FOR IT!

I'm going to find out if you have a valid LTC anyways but it just shows you have your stuff together and you are planning to be honest and compliant. Lots of folks do forget they have a gun in the vehicle... and they are the same ones that leave it in the glove box full time and then wonder why people break into cars...

LASTLY-- If you are being stopped, get off the dang roadway, take an exit, pull into a parking lot whatever, its safer for everyone that way. And as long as you aren't hammering down the gas pedal to get there no one will think you are running!

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Creekrunner] #7642201 10/25/19 09:15 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I'm usually drunk. They ask me to step out of the car, I say I can't, why don't you just get in.

LMAO

roflmao Similar to when the officer asks "You drinkin'?" and I reply "You buyin'?"

As they’re cuffing you...”y’all still got those good chicken pot pies??? I’m starving!”

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: duckhunter175] #7642254 10/25/19 10:08 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
GC 411.205 is still on the books-- that requires the license holder to provide BOTH their LTC AND DL when requested to identify themselves to a peace officer. However, there is not a penalty associated with this code.... confused2

BEST PRACTICE-- provide your dang LTC if you have it and announce if you are armed and where it is located WITHOUT REACHING FOR IT!

I'm going to find out if you have a valid LTC anyways but it just shows you have your stuff together and you are planning to be honest and compliant. Lots of folks do forget they have a gun in the vehicle... and they are the same ones that leave it in the glove box full time and then wonder why people break into cars...

LASTLY-- If you are being stopped, get off the dang roadway, take an exit, pull into a parking lot whatever, its safer for everyone that way. And as long as you aren't hammering down the gas pedal to get there no one will think you are running!

You mean slamming on the brakes when you see warning lights behind you is not the right thing to do?

bang bang bang bang

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642268 10/25/19 10:25 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Just roll up the windows, lock the doors, and start screaming "I KNOW MY RIGHTS" over and over.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7642348 10/25/19 11:53 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted by White Falcon
So how long did you spend in JAIL? smile smile

Lol no jail time. One of them actually threatened that - only then did I tell him I was a lawyer and explained that he had the gun and the badge and could sure do that, but that he and I would certainly be seeing each other again at a PC/Dismissal hearing and likely at a disciplinary hearing after that related to the complaint I would be filing.

He decided I could go then. Didn’t even give me a ticket for the expired sticker he stopped me for. I’m pretty sure he just forgot. smile

My kind of traffic stop. smile

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642752 10/26/19 02:27 PM
DeckArtist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Absolutely, tell them immediately since I do not have an LTC to show them. Had to stand by the trailer I was towing [with 4500 lbs of lumber on it] while the officer ran my license. Turns out a brake light was out on the trailer...no ticket but a thanks for letting him know there was a pistol in the console.

www.hannawoodworks.com
Deck, Pergolas, Patio Covers, Sawmill Services & more...
214-435-9574
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642851 10/26/19 04:12 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
why are ya'll say "all the windows down" what for? never have before, but then in last 20 years I've only been stopped 3 times.

22 Creedmoor
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: BassCat'99] #7642878 10/26/19 04:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BassCat'99
why are ya'll say "all the windows down" what for? never have before, but then in last 20 years I've only been stopped 3 times.

So the officer can more easily verify that there isn't some meth head with a shotgun crouched down in the back waiting to make said officer's wife a widow and his kids fatherless. It does happen.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642884 10/26/19 04:45 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
ok, guess I live in a very quite well behaved part of the state.

22 Creedmoor
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642893 10/26/19 05:19 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Meth is everywhere. Stay alert Amigo.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7642903 10/26/19 05:33 PM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I had an expired registration a few years back and was headed to work in Lewisville when I was pulled over. He saw my NRA sticker on the windshield and said he was glad to see another NRA member. He didn't even ask about firearms. He did give me a ticket but said if I got the registration done that I could take the ticket to the courthouse and pay $10. That was 2002 and the last time I was pulled over.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: duckhunter175] #7642951 10/26/19 06:41 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
GC 411.205 is still on the books-- that requires the license holder to provide BOTH their LTC AND DL when requested to identify themselves to a peace officer.

Not entirely correct...

Since you're referencing statute it reads as follows...

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7643179 10/27/19 12:16 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop?

This is how my last one went.

Deputy. Morning Mr. C didn't know you got a new truck.
Me. Yea the other one was about to rattle to death.
Me. Was it a turn signal again Pete?
Deputy. Yes Sir.
Me. Hows Pop doing Pete? (His father just had by-pass surgery, was also one of the groomsmen at my first wedding).

So he fills me in on how his Pops doing and starts to leave.

Me. Pete you know your going to have to write me a ticket one of these days.
Deputy. Not today Mr. C not to day, and ended it with a handshake.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7643193 10/27/19 12:28 AM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
In April was pulled over in El Paso for right on red. Pulled into parking lot, both license, "Good morning Officer". Told when asked I had rifles in the hard cases in back seat.
He gave me a warning, I had said I was going to Rudy's BBQ. Officer recommend State Line BBQ is better, I didn't want to drive back through the construction and said "Next time."
Drive through In September I stopped at State Line and he was correct, very good BBQ.
Only in Texas does a person get pulled over by cops and get restaurant tips!

M

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: Greg] #7644199 10/28/19 01:19 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Greg
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I'm usually drunk. They ask me to step out of the car, I say I can't, why don't you just get in.

LMAO

roflmao Similar to when the officer asks "You drinkin'?" and I reply "You buyin'?"

As they’re cuffing you...”y’all still got those good chicken pot pies??? I’m starving!”

I have been to jail one time in my life, Rowlett city jail about 17 years ago. I'll never forget what they said about the chow. "This is the Rowlett diet" a slice of bologna on two pieces stale bread for lunch, and a tiny chicken pot pie for dinner. If i remember right it was no breakfast.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: hetman] #7644284 10/28/19 02:08 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hetman
If you are on the way : say to the deer lease and are stopped for a traffic violation ie speeding and have a loaded firearm concealed in your vehicle do you tell the officer as he walks up ? This would be if you have a LTC or not & would it include cased rifles or unloaded fire arms of any kind ?

ran across this article today that states:

The following states require you to disclose to law enforcement officers if you are armed whether you are asked or not: Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and Texas. If you are pulled over by a law enforcement officer in these states you must disclose that you are armed immediately and without being asked.(link)

I don't unless it's in the same place I'm going to be reaching for ID, insurance, etc.

No reason to unnecessarily heighten the situation IMO.

Re: Do you say anything to LE on a traffic stop? [Re: J.G.] #7644629 10/28/19 02:10 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by fouzman
For me, engine off, keys on dash, hazards on, foot off the brake, both hands on the wheel with both licenses in my hands. All four windows down and dome light on if it's at night. This goes a long way with the officer.

Add in getting plum off the road. We (Law Enforcement and Fire) spend way too much time dodging cars at 10 to 70 mph. As soon as warning lights come on, I hit my hazards and look for the next driveway or parking lot to pull into. Hazards off, turn signal on, windows down, both hands on the door where he can sew them. One hand is holding my wallet.

This baffles me - when people pull over 6 inches off the roadway next to ppl going 75 mph. That should be an extra fine. I either pull over into a parking lot or if it's on the hwy, I pull over so that my driver side tires are just barely on the shoulder (almost on the grass), and my passenger tires are way out in the grass. Gives him room to park a little ways off the road and still be shielded by his car. I have only been pulled over once on the hwy, about a decade ago for a burned out license plate light, but he was very nice about it.

I had not thought about turning the light on and all windows down, although I always keep both hands visible as soon as the officer exits his vehicle. I might fish around for the licenses until I see his door open, and then it's hands on the wheel from then on.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide