Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Inconsiderate Hunters #7642736 10/26/19 02:05 PM
T
TPACK Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Do you think it is inconsiderate for other hunters to call coyotes on opening weekend after filling their tag. We had this happen to us last year on the first 2 weekends. They were using an electronic call and playing it over and over within a few hundred yards of our lease from about 4:30 pm till dark. I understand that they have every right to do it, but that is just not something I would ever do. It also makes it hard to be friendly when you meet them on the county road when you get back to your truck. The same group of hunters put up a pop up blind 60 feet from the road and 40 feet from our property line fence and actually wave at us(inside the blind) when we drive by on the way to hunt. I believe some people just don't get it or just don`t care.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642749 10/26/19 02:20 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Blind thing is 100% their right as long as not shooting directionally your way, the coyote calling is an entirely different thing. Most varmint calling improves in the later hours of night, very early morning. Did they successfully shoot any to your knowledge?

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642781 10/26/19 02:50 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
At least they're friendly, if clueless about perspective of anyone else but themselves! I've walked by other hunters on a trail on public land in Colorado, said "Hello" and not received so much as a grunt or wave. Some guys are just idiots.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642807 10/26/19 03:24 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I see both sides of coin. The guy/s tagged out and want to continue hunting so they switch to yotes. They are on their property, abiding to law (I assume), and you are twisted because they got to close to your fence? Buy more property, these guys have done nothing wrong. Some guys invest a lot into their hunt and when they have limited time to do so, they are entitled to use that time fully.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642831 10/26/19 03:57 PM
W
woolybooger Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
It's their right, but definitely inconsiderate on opening weekend. Don't blame you for being frustrated with inconsiderate neighbors. Our hunting neighbors have a feeder sitting on my fence-line, with our property being the only shooting lane from their blind. Our fence is used as one of the feeder barriers to keep their cows out. Thought about building a barn in front of it.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: garyrapp55] #7642846 10/26/19 04:08 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I see both sides of coin. The guy/s tagged out and want to continue hunting so they switch to yotes. They are on their property, abiding to law (I assume), and you are twisted because they got to close to your fence? Buy more property, these guys have done nothing wrong. Some guys invest a lot into their hunt and when they have limited time to do so, they are entitled to use that time fully.

The OP's question and concern is not about following the law or what the others are 'entitled' to. It concerns consideration and respect for neighboring hunters.

Strictly speaking you would be 'entitled' to:

1. Put up a stand as close to a property line as you like.
2. Run game calls anytime of the day or night.
3. Go on 'night runs' for varmints and hogs.
4. Play loud music and party back at camp.
5. Shoot rifles/pistols for several hours mid-day to pass the time.
6. Let the 'kids' race ATV's up and down the roads on the property to keep them entertained and occupied.
7. Etc....Etc........

The question remains: On small properties with neighbors that also hunt....is it 'inconsiderate' (especially on opening weekend) to engage in activities (outside of deer hunting) that have a high probability of affecting your neighbors?

It is my personal opinion...that on opening weekend and the weekend after that...the 'primary' focus should be on Deer Hunting and every effort made not to disturb things on your property or neighboring properties. It's just common courtesy...and in the past it was nothing that had to be discussed.

But increasingly....it seems, folks (especially on leased property) do have limited time...and by God they are going to cram in every activity they can while there.

Legal? You bet! Entitled to do so? Check! Inconsiderate? Depends on the situation......

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/26/19 04:11 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642847 10/26/19 04:10 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by TPACK
The same group of hunters put up a pop up blind 60 feet from the road and 40 feet from our property line fence and actually wave at us(inside the blind) when we drive by on the way to hunt. I believe some people just don't get it or just don`t care.

I can just hear the other hunters now...
"There we were, in our blind, waiting for this big buck we had on camera and and here comes Bubba, chugging up close enough to OUR fence line, disturbing our hunt, without any care in the world except for himself. He didn't have to drive that close to the fence. I gave him a quick wave, letting him know I knew what he was doing. I believe some people just don't get it or just don't care."

Personally, I don't know why you are complaining. Try looking at it from another perspective. They filled their tags and very generously drove the deer off their property by coyote calling so that other hunters would have more opportunity to fill their tags. Sounds like they did you a solid the last 2 years. You should be taking a couple 6 packs over to those other hunters.

As gary noted, if you want to control what happens on that property, you need to buy or lease it. Otherwise, they have ever bit as much right to fully utilize it as they want to as long as what they are doing is legal.

Of course, you could actually try talking to the other hunters and working something out with them. They might be amicable to that. Doesn't sound like you tried, however.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 10/26/19 04:12 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642853 10/26/19 04:13 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642863 10/26/19 04:23 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think they are oblivious to your perspective.

Best thing you can do is get to know your neighbors and make friends with them. I bet they are good people and would be more considerate if they knew you and could reflect on a conversation between freinds vs starting an adversarial relstionship with a neighbor, based on a conversation with a stranger about being more considerate.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642881 10/26/19 04:40 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Being a good hunting neighbor is just like being a good next door neighbor. You have the right to do a lot of things, but out of consideration you don't. Give them the benefit of the doubt, since they're friendly talk it up with them. Make some suggestions and see how they respond. If they're a-- holes, it will be obvious. Then you have to take another approach.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642975 10/26/19 07:28 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
They played a call a few hundred yards from the fenceline? How close to it are you hunting? Sounds like they would be plenty far away unless you are hunting the fenceline as well....

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7642996 10/26/19 07:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
it happens, don't dwell on it. never had the problem, BUT once when fishing, I was trolling up along the bank casting, another boater pulls in 40yds ahead of me, I told him for what, did not faze him one bit. things like this can ruin your day, if you let.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643023 10/26/19 08:25 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Some people are jerks and only think about them selves.

I was told years ago you have to lower your expectations of your fellow man.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643304 10/27/19 01:56 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I’d like to know the acreages involved.

Sounds like a small acreage problem. Too many people, not enough space, the new Texas way.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: maximus_flavius] #7643338 10/27/19 02:37 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
I’d like to know the acreages involved.

Sounds like a small acreage problem. Too many people, not enough space, the new Texas way.

Yep. Reminds me of our neighbors on a previous lease that were pissed off that I used a road along our fence line every morning after they setup a blind/feeder within 100 yrds of it.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643341 10/27/19 02:38 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I take a mouth call with me every where I go on the lease, no matter what season it is.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643352 10/27/19 02:45 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you saw them on the road and it bothered you that much why didn’t you say something to them instead of complaining about it on the internet?

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: BigPig] #7643392 10/27/19 03:19 AM
T
TGT Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
I take a mouth call with me every where I go on the lease, no matter what season it is.

YEP!!!! Always try to have a call with me! Yote runs by when deer hunting and need to stop it!!! Hit the call and boom..... Hell my brother was with me and the kiddo last year about this time and he shot the yote right up the rear opening..... Made for a fun morning..

TGT

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I have a little bitty one. Think that will do?

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TGT] #7643397 10/27/19 03:29 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TGT
Originally Posted by BigPig

YEP!!!! Always try to have a call with me! Yote runs by when deer hunting and need to stop it!!! Hit the call and boom..... Hell my brother was with me and the kiddo last year about this time and he shot the yote right up the rear opening..... Made for a fun morning..

TGT

No need for a mouth call to 'stop' yotes. Just a short, flat, alarm bark. Locks them up more times than not.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643413 10/27/19 03:54 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
People have different priorities. I've killed enough deer and may not ever shoot one again. I prefer the challenge of hunting predators over prey and so may the folks next to you.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643476 10/27/19 11:06 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have some non hunting, liberal, anti hunting neighbors, Not unusual for them to start shooting early mornings and late afternoons on weekends during deer season.. It's their land and they can do as they damn well please. Irritating but nothing I can do about it. After awhile it doesn't seem to have a major effect.

It started when I shot one of their dogs about 20 years or so ago. It was in my yard and snarling at my Grandson who was still in diapers. I talked to them about it and bluntly told them to keep their dogs at home. They didn't so I took care of the problem.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643484 10/27/19 11:30 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
So they're trying to kill yotes. an animal which practically every deer hunter complains about? Deer hunters constantly complain about predators... don't want people "ruining" their hunt by legally hunting them. Complain about coons ruining feeders... don't want people running coon dogs at night. Complain about hogs, yadda yadda yadda. Stop putting deer on a pedestal and relax about the dumb things. Opening day isn't some holy day where its a sin to make noise outside (except of course to shoot a gun at deer, because somehow shooting a gun at an actual deer doesn't spook them and ruin someone's else's hunt).

Deer hunting has become like some sort of crazy cult! You got your own social rules and sacrifice way too much money and time doing deer cult things. I bet its super rare for any deer hunter to say he's not going to hunt on opening day of duck, Fall turkey, quail, woodcock, etc seasons because it would be inconsiderate to people that hunt those critters. However the rest of us are expected to give ya'll the courtesy you won't extend to us? I do stay home on your opening day though, simply because I don't want to go to prison for decapitating some retarded deer cultist that shoots my dog while I'm legally bird or small game hunting.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7643488 10/27/19 11:36 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Being a good hunting neighbor is just like being a good next door neighbor. You have the right to do a lot of things, but out of consideration you don't.

I don't think it can be said better than that.

There's 7 blinds just out side of my fence, in one case the feeder pen is part of the fence and another I can reach over and touch two of the legs on his blind. All have feeders and blinds within 100 yards of the fence You can't see a blind or feeder anywhere on my place and none of my feeding areas is closer than 250 yards to he fence. Sorry folks but it feels like having a new 8 ft fence built in your back yard and your neighbor builds a platform next to it just to look in. My opinion! Nothing says i'm going to be a bad neighbor more than blinds on the fence line.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643518 10/27/19 12:44 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Whenever someone makes the claim that anything that's legal is also ethical, I reply that it must be ethical then for a man to sleep with another man's wife.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/27/19 12:45 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7643542 10/27/19 01:17 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
A hunter on a neighboring lease set up a stand with senderos parallel to the fence line. There was a feeder 60 yards away from our fence. I asked around camp about what to do, got lots of advice and then just drove over to the neighboring camp. The 1st guy I spoke with indicated he had told the hunter not to put the feeder so close. I am guessing a lot of work went into it and there was an immediate inflexibility to see it my way when the hunter in question was "presented" with my displeasure. I indicated it was 60 yards and that was too close. He thought it was 100 yards away. I cried BS because I had ranged it. I persisted. Some in the camp wanted me to settle down. I did let him know he could keep the feeder there, but I would park there, make loud sounds call coyotes at the fence line and leave gut piles right there. The feeder was moved that very weekend.

Now we got a guy who has put up a new blind set up with a feeder 60 yards from our fence in fairly open country. With his back to a high fence, it is an obvious attempt draw deer out of our pasture. What's worse, this fence line is a major exterior perimeter thoroughfare for us and this guy's set up means to shoot at anything under his feeder, he shoots directly into our pasture. if that feeder were parallel with the fence line instead of perpendicular to it, all would be good. The way it is, I just don't like it, but this one ain't on my fence line and is not my call.

Added - I think STX or someone indicated you don't see blinds or feeder set ups from their fence line. That is pretty much the truth with our place also. With about two miles of low fence, this is the only blind which has a set up in such close proximity to us. I guess it could be worse. You just cannot ever expect others to treat you like, you would treat them. You'll get punked far too often.

Last edited by Hudbone; 10/27/19 01:22 PM. Reason: added "knowledge"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide