Page 1 of 2 1 2
Age guesses on this buck #7642028 10/25/19 05:52 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Guess the age if you want. I saw this buck last year and thought he was either a 1.5 or 2.5 yr old. I wavered back and forth on him for age due to several things I was seeing on him.
First pic is from Nov 7th. 2018
[Linked Image]
Next 3 pics are from around December 7th to 9th, 2018
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Last pic is from late December 2018
[Linked Image]
I was leaning more to 2.5 due to hock staining and his attitude even with the smaller body. I felt like he was a very small body deer that looked younger than he was. I did not get any pics of him in the feed pens and think he just moved in sometime in late October last year and then stayed the rest of the season.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642041 10/25/19 06:06 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Older than you thought is my guess, I will say 4+

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642057 10/25/19 06:21 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I don't know deer in your area well, on places I'm familiar with I'd say 2 or less, or if you want to get into the .5 thing, 2.5 or less.

If you think he's that or older, I'd say he's got a bad case of the low T.
Maybe the runt of twins or orphaned young.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642065 10/25/19 06:28 PM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: Rustler] #7642073 10/25/19 06:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Rustler
I don't know deer in your area well, on places I'm familiar with I'd say 2 or less, or if you want to get into the .5 thing, 2.5 or less.

I normally don't get into the .5 thing either but put on this time. No history on him from the year or two or three before either. I generally only run TC on feeders inside feed pens and was not jumping into the feed pens from Aug till general season started. He was a regular all season on road corn at different blinds. With the half or torn off ear I should have been able to find him in the past yr(s) easily. He was also very small bodied compared to other 2 yr or old bucks and is standing with a 2 yr old in that second pic. No TC pics or still pics I took at blinds showed him from the previous years. I make it a point to take stills of every buck I see to show antlers and face/ears/head/body for future use. He was a no show from any season pics till last season. If he is 2 in that pic then he was a runty 1 yr old and most likely a little spike buck. I had one like that the year before that showed up in late Dec 2017/Jan 2018 but he had did not have the notched or half ear.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642074 10/25/19 06:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Awww Trex is so cute..

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642110 10/25/19 07:34 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I suspect he's born off cycle and is a really old yearling in the pics you've shared, in the 1.75 to 2.00 range. I'd also guess that he lost his momma before reaching the age that she kicks him off (or he was a twin to a young mother who struggled).

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642112 10/25/19 07:34 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by stxranchman

I normally don't get into the .5 thing either but put on this time. No history on him from the year or two or three before either. I generally only run TC on feeders inside feed pens and was not jumping into the feed pens from Aug till general season started. He was a regular all season on road corn at different blinds. With the half or torn off ear I should have been able to find him in the past yr(s) easily. He was also very small bodied compared to other 2 yr or old bucks and is standing with a 2 yr old in that second pic. No TC pics or still pics I took at blinds showed him from the previous years. I make it a point to take stills of every buck I see to show antlers and face/ears/head/body for future use. He was a no show from any season pics till last season. If he is 2 in that pic then he was a runty 1 yr old and most likely a little spike buck. I had one like that the year before that showed up in late Dec 2017/Jan 2018 but he had did not have the notched or half ear.

I didn't mean to insult in any way.

I still think he's got a testicular problem/low T, with a chance of being the runt twin or orphaned a good while before natural weaning.
The small body for your area's normal tells me he had rough start, the torn ear isn't something I see a lot of, could be a clue might be a nothing.

Might just be my eye site, first picture his head looks square on top like a normal buck, I see a flat spot almost an indention/divot on his forehead between & above his eyes, could be shadow or my eyes, maybe a heck of an injury when younger.
In the other pics the top of his head appears more rounded, especially the one directly from behind him looking away.

If he was on my place he'd be 2.5 or less, or considered sausage.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642116 10/25/19 07:40 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I would go with 2

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642123 10/25/19 07:46 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My guess would also be 2.

With an ear like that should be easy to watch, of course ive said that before with one similar we had and he just plain disappeared.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: Rustler] #7642162 10/25/19 08:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

I still think he's got a testicular problem/low T, with a chance of being the runt twin or orphaned a good while before natural weaning.
The small body for your area's normal tells me he had rough start, the torn ear isn't something I see a lot of, could be a clue might be a nothing.

Might just be my eye site, first picture his head looks square on top like a normal buck, I see a flat spot almost an indention/divot on his forehead between & above his eyes, could be shadow or my eyes, maybe a heck of an injury when younger.
In the other pics the top of his head appears more rounded, especially the one directly from behind him looking away.

No offense taken in your post. I just agreed with your thoughts. I think his problems are being born very late in a bad year and probably orphaned that same season. Just a WAG on my part. His body size and look really did not change from before the rut to post rut in those pictures either. I saw a fawn the first week of archery this year that is very small and born to a very small bodied doe(could only be 1.5 yr old doe). This fawn is what got me to thinking about this buck I posted pics of. Makes think he was a very late born fawn.
[Linked Image]
I also look at the forehead on bucks and generally all 1 yr olds have a flatter skull in front of the antler bases and they start to dish/cup out there with age. The more dish/cup you see the older they will be in most cases. Heavy antler mass can effect that also.
AR protect him here and others like him in this county. If I was MLD I would have rolled the dice on him last year.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642202 10/25/19 09:16 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

No offense taken in your post. I just agreed with your thoughts. I think his problems are being born very late in a bad year and probably orphaned that same season. Just a WAG on my part. His body size and look really did not change from before the rut to post rut in those pictures either. I saw a fawn the first week of archery this year that is very small and born to a very small bodied doe(could only be 1.5 yr old doe). This fawn is what got me to thinking about this buck I posted pics of. Makes think he was a very late born fawn.
[Linked Image]
I also look at the forehead on bucks and generally all 1 yr olds have a flatter skull in front of the antler bases and they start to dish/cup out there with age. The more dish/cup you see the older they will be in most cases. Heavy antler mass can effect that also.
AR protect him here and others like him in this county. If I was MLD I would have rolled the dice on him last year.

Wouldn't he be legal since he has one unbranched side?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7642237 10/25/19 09:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

[Linked Image]

Wouldn't he be legal since he has one unbranched side?

He has no antler on that side. I would not shoot based off that alone.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642272 10/25/19 10:31 PM
J
jakebunch Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Interesting. Why would you not shoot that deer?

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: jakebunch] #7642323 10/25/19 11:28 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by jakebunch

AR county - a buck must have at least one unbranched antler or both branched & wider than 13".

The buck in question has only one antler and it is branched.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: Rustler] #7642349 10/25/19 11:53 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

AR county - a buck must have at least one unbranched antler or both branched & wider than 13".

He has another. I’d kill him just to watch him die. Looks pretty tasty.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: scalebuster] #7642356 10/25/19 11:57 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by scalebuster

He has another. I’d kill him just to watch him die. Looks pretty tasty.

Strange, I don't see another unbranched antler and neither does the man that has watched the deer for a couple years & took the pictures.

He has no antler on that side. I would not shoot based off that alone.

I guess I better get my glasses checked. Oh, wait.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7642630 10/26/19 11:23 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I'm guessing born late in '17. I like the #2 "Are you my daddy?" picture. I could not tell if the larger deer's right beam is growth or broken. Have you had any pictures of "split ear" this year?

[Linked Image]
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: Ranch Dog] #7645904 10/29/19 04:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
I'm guessing born late in '17. I like the #2 "Are you my daddy?" picture. I could not tell if the larger deer's right beam is growth or broken. Have you had any pictures of "split ear" this year?

Well yes I actually do have some pics from this year. He was never much of a feeder pen buck, but he was coming to the house to water and corn feeder off and on during the summer. Here is a pic from July 27 this summer.
[Linked Image]

How old does he look now?

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7645989 10/29/19 05:38 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I think your age was correct of 2 something last year, given this year's picture. This dude will probably be one of those bucks that slip under the AR protection until he is mature. He will have learned all the mistakes that got the pretty boys "kilt" and be one tough deer to hunt.

[Linked Image]
Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7645998 10/29/19 05:42 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
He looks 4 in that last photo.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7647251 10/30/19 05:24 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
After a really dry July, Aug and into Sept. he finally started jumping into the feed pens to eat corn.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7647257 10/30/19 05:29 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I still say 4 yr old. How old do YOU think he is.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: fouzman] #7647262 10/30/19 05:32 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by fouzman
I still say 4 yr old. How old do YOU think he is.

Have not seen him in good light in October to make a good guess on age at this point. In the pics he looks from 3 to 5 depending on the day and how he is standing... hammer He added a lot of weight and bulk to his body in one year that totally changed how he looks.

Re: Age guesses on this buck [Re: stxranchman] #7662846 11/15/19 04:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Finally able to see him in the daytime hours. Very difficult buck to try to guess and age on him. Since he is not 13" or better inside he gets to live longer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide