Print Thread
Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting #7641136 10/24/19 09:09 PM
B
Boar Sight Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
This has probably been discussed before but I can't find any definitive answer to whether a thermal scope is considered "artificial illumination" in Texas. I plan to leave my thermal on for rifle season and am curious to know if anyone else has addressed the issue.

Thanks!

Some people have such a toxic and rancid personality that even death doesn't want them!
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641152 10/24/19 09:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I believe game wardens will consider the thermal image an artificial image, and therefore illegal. I would not do that if you think there is any chance you get checked

Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641168 10/24/19 09:42 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
This made me curious so I was going to call TPWD... while looking I see they have also have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/TexasGameWardens/

I posed the question and will post the response.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641186 10/24/19 10:01 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
A thermal scope does not use "artificial light of any form that cast or reflects a beam of light" so IMHO legal.

"hunt with the aid of artificial light of any form that casts or reflects a beam of light onto or otherwise illuminates a game animal or bird; EXCEPTION: legally blind hunters, or hunters who have a documented permanent physical disability that prevents them from using traditional firearm sighting devices (Parks and Wildlife Code Sec. 62.0055- 62.0056) may use battery-powered scoping devices that project a light or dot only inside the scope, pin sight lights on archery equipment, or laser sighting devices."

Now a Digital Scope like a Photon or Pulsar that does use an IR emitter is illegal. It is not specified in the law as it being illegal to have one attached to your gun while hunting, but using the emitter is not legal. However, unless a warden using a camcorder gets video of your scope and emitter lighting up the field when you shot, it would be a difficult case to make assuming your shot occurred during legal hunting hours.

Maybe one of the wardens on here will clear this up for us?

Last edited by HornSlayer; 10/24/19 10:13 PM.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641237 10/24/19 10:54 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
[Linked Image]

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641341 10/25/19 12:55 AM
B
Boar Sight Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Brevity is the soul of wit. (Texas game warden's motto) Thanks for posting the affirmative to the question and my thermal stays on my rifle....

Some people have such a toxic and rancid personality that even death doesn't want them!
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641721 10/25/19 01:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Good to know! I agree the IR beams from regular or digital NV are artificial light and illegal.

Always good to ask before use, so glad it is all good!

Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641737 10/25/19 02:10 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Apparently we have a new game warden in Young county. My buddy and his girlfriend got popped for road hunting at 1 AM in the middle of nowhere TX. My buddy said they weren't shooting anything, just looking but they had one round in the chamber his AR. They both got tickets for $280 or $285.00 can't remember. The warden said his thermal scope had to be off the weapon in order to look for critters at night and no loaded weapons. The warden told him it was a dang good thing they didn't shoot, then it would have gotten ugly.

My buddy asked if he could hunt deer with the thermal scope during the day. The warden said no problem, but said if I catch you with in the field after shooting hours he would write him up. Not sure how that would work if you said you were hunting hogs. Heck I don't know, I guess the warden was trying to make a point and serve notice that he's out there...somewhere!

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Boar Sight] #7641828 10/25/19 03:18 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
There’s no defense for road hunting day or night, regardless of scope type. I imagine Thermals in the field at night during deer season can be a challenge for the Wardens. Particularly tough for someone with a prior “encounter”. I keep the Remy in my tagline in my stand as my designated Deer rifle. Having a dead hog nearby is also a good thing. 😀

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: Jeff in TX] #7641897 10/25/19 04:06 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Jeff in TX
Apparently we have a new game warden in Young county. My buddy and his girlfriend got popped for road hunting at 1 AM in the middle of nowhere TX. My buddy said they weren't shooting anything, just looking but they had one round in the chamber his AR. They both got tickets for $280 or $285.00 can't remember. The warden said his thermal scope had to be off the weapon in order to look for critters at night and no loaded weapons. The warden told him it was a dang good thing they didn't shoot, then it would have gotten ugly.

My buddy asked if he could hunt deer with the thermal scope during the day. The warden said no problem, but said if I catch you with in the field after shooting hours he would write him up. Not sure how that would work if you said you were hunting hogs. Heck I don't know, I guess the warden was trying to make a point and serve notice that he's out there...somewhere!

that wouldn't be my buddy if they're road hunting. I don't like to keep friends around like that

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Thermal Daytime Deer Hunting [Re: KWood_TSU] #7642050 10/25/19 06:15 PM
J
Jeff in TX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by Jeff in TX

that wouldn't be my buddy if they're road hunting. I don't like to keep friends around like that

I guess in life you can judge anyone and find a reason not to want to associate with them.

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide