Print Thread
Not what I expected #7636061 10/18/19 04:49 PM
F
Flashprism Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Been hunting for 10 days and not seeing the deer my cameras presented in August. As we had great rains this year. 29 inches to date. I expected to see numerous shooter bucks this archery season, My August pictures included 2 nice 10 points as well as some respectable 8's.I have only been seeing an unusual amount of does and fawns as well as couple spikes and 4 points however the shooters are not to be seen. I'm guessing they are not coming to feeders with all the natural forbes and browse. Hopefully as we move toward the rut my expectations for some decent shooters will materialize.

Re: Not what I expected [Re: Flashprism] #7636073 10/18/19 05:06 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Flashprism
I'm guessing they are not coming to feeders with all the natural forbes and browse.

While deer are very seasonal browsers and will travel to and bed close to browse as it becomes available, they may also be responding to the pressure you've been giving them.

Here's the link to a good article you may find rather eye opening. It describes lessons learned from a study an Auburn grad student did using radio-collared deer on a large hunting lease in the Carolina's.

Every year without fail hunters report the deer have all but disappeared a few weeks after the season opener. After all, they didn't have any trouble seeing them on opening weekend, and they paid them little attention when they were filling feeders all summer.

As with so many things, "less is more" also applies to deer hunting.

Spoiler alert - His study found that deer sightings often drop significantly as soon as the day after a hunter spends time in a stand.

"Essentially, after continued hunting pressure at a particular stand, deer changed their behavioral response at night to the same avoidance we observed during the Morning/ Evening period. This suggests that deer respond to initial hunting events by simply accessing the area during a safe time and their fear decreases as time passes. But as hunters use the area more, deer respond by avoiding the area altogether. Perhaps the deer decide, in essence, to move on to safer pastures where they may be able to feed during Morning/Evening hours instead of confining themselves to nocturnal hours only."

Of course, everyone knows Texas deer aren't like those in other states.

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/18/19 05:21 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Not what I expected [Re: Flashprism] #7636075 10/18/19 05:10 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
When the rut hits, the bucks will be where the does are.

Re: Not what I expected [Re: Flashprism] #7636615 10/19/19 02:59 PM
F
Flashprism Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Dan appreciate your info and I accept the conclusions. However haven't seen any of the shooters on camera in August since I arrived 12 days ago not on camera either. I have 4 different feeders and use them as the wind dictates. I may be a victim of shinnery acorns as this has been a problem in the past and none are on my property. Last year I had several shooters routinely at my feeders. Finally took my best 10 the weekend before rifle. Each year is a bit different influenced by the weather and other dynamics. I am patient and am confident my unusually high doe and fawn count will pay off when the rut kicks in.

Re: Not what I expected [Re: Flashprism] #7638816 10/22/19 12:31 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
They have a all you can eat buffet out there right now........pray for cold weather.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Not what I expected [Re: Flashprism] #7638855 10/22/19 01:20 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Acorns are in abundance now, deer patterns have changed.

Re: Not what I expected [Re: maximus_flavius] #7638950 10/22/19 03:15 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Acorns are in abundance now, deer patterns have changed.

Typically the first weekend of archery season and even to the second weekend are good as far as seeing deer, but the acorns have usually just begun to fall.
By the time it's well into the month the acorns are falling heavy, and they deer don't have to venture far from their beds to find a meal, and thus the change in feeding patterns and visibility of the deer to the hunter.
Hunting pressure also is a factor, but not so much the availability of a ready food supply.
Then comes the first of November and the does are starting to come in, and the bucks are moving and feeling their oats with the shorter days and cooler nights.

Most of my worst hunting days have been the mid part of October when the deer just seemed to go underground, and I always feel better thinking about what it's going to be like in just a couple of short weeks from now.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Not what I expected [Re: Flashprism] #7639273 10/22/19 10:39 PM
F
Flashprism Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Took a tour of the area north of my property vabout 4 miles. This area is thick with shinnery oaks. To my disappointment this years crop of acorns is excellent. Usually it’s a mix of some full nut but this years crop is the best I’ve ever seen kinda explains the huge reductions in on camera as well as physical sightings it will be a couple weeks before my residents return home. Rut should also make more sighting available

Last edited by Flashprism; 10/22/19 10:42 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide