Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Pig Barrel?? #7635960 10/18/19 02:57 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content OP
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Got on a new quail lease and have been given the green light to shoot all the hogs we want. Our camp sits on the edge of a big drop off and at the bottom is a nice semi open area that would be a great spot to lure hogs out into it (thick brush and canyons on both sides). Would be less than 200 yd shot so I was thinking about maybe taking a 20 gallon plastic barrel that I have, bolt a chain to it, drill some holes and fill it with corn and lock to a tree or post in hopes it would last a while and keep a few pigs coming to the area once they find it. How big do you / should I make the holes and how many? Obviously I will spread a bunch of corn around too when I'm there each time too.

Another thing we are considering is making some kind of corn launcher so we can launch it from the campsite down into the draw. Was thinking water balloon launcher but then how do I make the corn into a ball that I could launch good? This would be better than the barrel if we could figure something out that would work. The only way to get down to the draw from camp is to go way out and around so it is close to a 30 minute ride in the mule one way to get to that spot 150 yds from camp with the way we have to go. Maybe build a catapult? Gimme some ideas.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7635977 10/18/19 03:13 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Forget this pipe, let's focus on what's important and that is medieval weaponry.

Water balloon launcher - could be cool, make corn balls with feed corn and corn syrup or gelatin.

Forget catapults, trebuchet's are the way to go and very fun to build. With some fine tuning and the right projectiles you could easily pattern to within 5 yards. While we are at it let's abandon the idea of shooting one of these hogs with a rifle, you will have your medieval weaponry dialed in, why not try to kill one with a trebuchet? The setup sounds ideal, you just need some of those motion activated green/red lights.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7635986 10/18/19 03:20 PM
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
I like the way this is going already

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7635994 10/18/19 03:25 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7636071 10/18/19 05:05 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I tried a corn barrel once with one of those blue plastic barrels you see all the time, not very effective.

I do like pipes, but they take dedication to keep them full. I have found hogs to be quite determined, if anything. My pipe is 6ft or so long and is 6 inch or so white sewer pipe.. I only have (2) 1/2 inch (if that holes) in it. I taped up the other two holes I had in it. They will roll that pipe for hours to get all the corn out. Great for keeping them occupied at your spot, but I have found it to be only good for 1 or 2 encounters before it's empty.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7636896 10/20/19 12:37 AM
K
KK30RAR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Got on a new quail lease and have been given the green light to shoot all the hogs we want. Our camp sits on the edge of a big drop off and at the bottom is a nice semi open area that would be a great spot to lure hogs out into it (thick brush and canyons on both sides). Would be less than 200 yd shot so I was thinking about maybe taking a 20 gallon plastic barrel that I have, bolt a chain to it, drill some holes and fill it with corn and lock to a tree or post in hopes it would last a while and keep a few pigs coming to the area once they find it. How big do you / should I make the holes and how many? Obviously I will spread a bunch of corn around too when I'm there each time too.

Another thing we are considering is making some kind of corn launcher so we can launch it from the campsite down into the draw. Was thinking water balloon launcher but then how do I make the corn into a ball that I could launch good? This would be better than the barrel if we could figure something out that would work. The only way to get down to the draw from camp is to go way out and around so it is close to a 30 minute ride in the mule one way to get to that spot 150 yds from camp with the way we have to go. Maybe build a catapult? Gimme some ideas.

I used the blue plastic barrels for a short time they worked great until the squirrels and field rats chewed big holes in the plastic so I switched to SS beer kegs they’ll hold 80 lbs of corn and indestructible work fantastic hogs love them [Linked Image]

Pulsar xq50 trail
Pulsar xq30f Helion
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7640572 10/24/19 03:58 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Good old fashioned potato launcher made with PVC, and fueled by Aqua net hair spray.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7640589 10/24/19 04:44 AM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
how about a slingshot type launcher throwing baggies of corn - drive 2 tall t post or pipes or trees

https://www.amazon.com/300-Yard-Balloon-Slingshot-Cannon-Launcher/dp/B00AL57GEW 300yards

https://www.amazon.com/KOMVOX-Launcher-Slingshot-Trebuchet-Balloons/dp/B07MT924SV 500yards

NOT JUST FOR BALLOONS - Launch more ammo like nerf balls, splash balls, t-shirts, snowballs, pumpkins, potatos and more (Distance may vary based on materials and strength of participants. 500 yards is maximum distance obtained from our own competition or test.)

Last edited by hetman; 10/24/19 04:51 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7640764 10/24/19 02:00 PM
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Think we are trying a potato launcher and the water balloon slingshot.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7640894 10/24/19 04:19 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
While all these corn flinging ideas are very interesting and would be fun maybe to do, I don't see flinging plastic bags of corn as being workable.

I don't know expectations on getting hogs there with some amount of corn just suddenly appearing. Sounds like alot of waiting...

Given the distance and being "down" in a draw... I think I would consider either a small feeder you put a remote control on to spin when you're there or put a bucket on a zip-line of sorts and send it down with a door latch you make on the bottom of the bucket you can open with a separate line.

A feeder with even a 1 second spin every day would bring the hogs in regular and would last a long time. Add a Chamberlain driveway alarm and you don't even have to watch it, let it tell you when hogs are there.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: 68rustbucket] #7640904 10/24/19 04:22 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Good old fashioned potato launcher made with PVC, and fueled by Aqua net hair spray.

This has "hold my beer, watch this" written all over it. Can't wait for results of a late night launching.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: jetdad] #7640985 10/24/19 06:17 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jetdad

This has "hold my beer, watch this" written all over it. Can't wait for results of a late night launching.

Heard an eyewitness story of a guy sitting up 90’ away with a catchers mitt and mask, taking a fast potato. It was a “mashed” strike.
With the right amount of Aqua net, it’ll carry a long way, or so I’ve heard.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CharlieCTx] #7641008 10/24/19 06:39 PM
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
While all these corn flinging ideas are very interesting and would be fun maybe to do, I don't see flinging plastic bags of corn as being workable.

I don't know expectations on getting hogs there with some amount of corn just suddenly appearing. Sounds like alot of waiting...

Given the distance and being "down" in a draw... I think I would consider either a small feeder you put a remote control on to spin when you're there or put a bucket on a zip-line of sorts and send it down with a door latch you make on the bottom of the bucket you can open with a separate line.

A feeder with even a 1 second spin every day would bring the hogs in regular and would last a long time. Add a Chamberlain driveway alarm and you don't even have to watch it, let it tell you when hogs are there.

There wont be any plastic bags or trash of any kind. Part of what I'm trying to figure out is how to make somewhat solid corn balls to launch, made out of something edible. It may not work at all. As far as alot of waiting? It's at our camp, I plan to spend a bit of time there anyway.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: jetdad] #7641009 10/24/19 06:40 PM
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by jetdad

maybe even video.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7641183 10/24/19 10:00 PM
R
Red Pill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

There wont be any plastic bags or trash of any kind. Part of what I'm trying to figure out is how to make somewhat solid corn balls to launch, made out of something edible. It may not work at all. As far as alot of waiting? It's at our camp, I plan to spend a bit of time there anyway.

Shoot ears of corn. I see them all the time at WalMart for squirrel feeders.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7641236 10/24/19 10:52 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve heard of “carp balls” used for fishing for carp. A mixture of big red and corn flakes.

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7641350 10/25/19 01:08 AM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
shoot hollowed out small pumpkins full of corn

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7641773 10/25/19 02:42 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The potato gun sounds good, but I don't think the ball of corn will hold together through launch. The sling shot method is what I would use. Gentle launch and would allow a softer material to be used to break open when hitting the ground. Sounds fun!!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7641817 10/25/19 03:11 PM
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
Slingshot is in my Amazon cart. up

Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7642081 10/25/19 06:45 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Pictures!

We need pictures !!!!!

No, VIDEO is what we need !!!!!!!!!!!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: hetman] #7642835 10/26/19 04:00 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by hetman
shoot hollowed out small pumpkins full of corn

Dried gourds should work well too....be like a corn grenade.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Pig Barrel?? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #7648963 11/01/19 10:09 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Buy the field corn that’s still on the cob. Break in half. Launch to the kill zone.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide