I have a BS in CJ from SHSU.
Had to have a degree to get the job that I have but I don't do anything with CJ

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634993 10/17/19 01:35 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
when I got hurt in 07 part of the work comp settlement was retraining, went to okie state for const. mgmnt/inspection.

am only one math class shy of getting both degrees, I suck bad at calculus and advanced algebra so not gonna happen.

funny part is I asked for a pass on that class and told them that after about 30 yrs. in construction that I could do most of the math I needed in my head, still no.

oh, well, got out of construction in 99 making 135k a yr. in colorado (not to shaby for a carpenter with a ged) then drove over the road till I got hurt and was making about 85k a yr. and taking a month off to go to costa rica.
if you want to work and apply yourself you can do pretty good, the ones I laughed at were the "college boys" fresh out of school with no experience that were "project mgrs" or "asst. superintendents", glorified/overpaid laborers.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635004 10/17/19 01:46 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Here's a chart from Labor & Statistics
Degreed people work an average of 8 hours a day,
Non degreed people work an average of 8.2 hours a day.
So about one hour a week more.
https://www.bls.gov/charts/american-time-use/emp-by-ftpt-job-edu-h.htm

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635009 10/17/19 01:50 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
In the Air Force there were a couple of sayings.

It takes a college education to break it and a high school education to fix it.

Those with the college education fly into the firefight and those without the college education stay back where it is safe.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635036 10/17/19 02:12 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
I have an engineering degree & I spent my working career in the IT field. I spent a lot of time interviewing & hiring people for programmer/analyst positions. A degree was always a prerequisite. I hired one young man that turned out to be a pretty good programmer but I found out a year later that he lied on his application & he did not have a degree. I didn't fire him because he was capable of the job & it was hard to find a candidate with a decent work ethic. At least back then, someone could just lie about their education level & it was rarely checked. I guess HR & recruiters background check that kind of stuff now-a-days(?)

To me, a college degree was a credential that someone had some persistence, could read a book & had the ability to learn. JIMHO

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635042 10/17/19 02:16 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I have a BS in Economics and a Master of Real Estate(focused predominantly on finance).

I use mine as im involved in real estate but nothing specifically from college could I not live without. I enjoyed the time there and made life long friends, met my wife and have it as part of my life. I do not believe there is one cut and dry path for everyone.

My mom doesn't have a degree. She was a VP at a small firm she had been at for several years, worked her way to the top. The company closed and in her job hunt she sure wished she had a degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She eventually found a great new job she loves, but it took a boss that was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, countless positions she applied for she was never even considered because she didn't have a degree no matter how much more experience she had more qualified she was or more dedicated to the job.

Something else to consider is we all start out in different places with different assets and traits in life. Some are much more fitted to manual labor than others while some are better fitted to books learning etc. I have a couple friends that only got a degree because their parents made them and then went home to farm/ranch on the family operation or work for some other form of family business etc. If my dad owned/operated a brokerage or Accounting firm or plumbing/electric/construction etc. company im sure my path in life would be different.

In my job I have met several people who have never done anything in life other than manage the assets their parents left to them that make a considerable amount over 10x what I make a year and they don't have a degree.... I wish I could have chose their career path!

Last edited by redchevy; 10/17/19 02:18 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635190 10/17/19 04:50 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I didn't go to college right out of highschool…neither of my parents have degrees but pushed both my sister and I to go that route and they would pay a large portion of it. It didn't make sense for me to pay someone 4 years that I could be earning a check. I did a vo-technical school in high school and learned accounting. Graduated highschool on a Friday nite and started work on Monday morning at an insurance company as an acctg clerk. I did that job for almost 4 years and moved to a life and disability claims adjuster. It was a much higher turnover department and I felt I could run up the ladder faster than the stagnant acctg department. I made it to a lead and was in line for a supervisor....the position became available and I didn't get it. I worked for an awesome woman who was a great leader and boss. I inquired as to why I didn't get the job.

She was brutally honest and it was exactly what I needed. She point blank told me I was one of the best she had, could do that job and most likely would train the new supervisor but I couldn't get that job because I didn't have a degree. Talk about getting hit in the face with a 2x4. A month later I started night classes where it took a lot of dedication, prioritization and grit to finish but I did. I still am amazed and look back on that conversation with her as a big turning point in my professional life. On a positive note, I nor my parents had a single student loan and my schooling was paid for by that employer.

It's bull [censored] but point is, there are a lot of places that the stupid piece of paper means more than what you can do and have proven you can do. It's sad really...

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7635214 10/17/19 05:20 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
No degree but I will retire in 11 months at age 48 after 25 years of service with a 90K annual retirement income. I'm not sure if a degree and the private sector, would have been able to provide those numbers in that period of time, for a hick from the woods.

Good luck to you. If you have a family, and don't have lifetime health insurance then 20k$+ of that 90k is going to health insurance for the next 17 years. 90k a year in 35 years will probably not be enough.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7635218 10/17/19 05:25 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
No degree but I will retire in 11 months at age 48 after 25 years of service with a 90K annual retirement income. I'm not sure if a degree and the private sector, would have been able to provide those numbers in that period of time, for a hick from the woods.

Good luck to you. If you have a family, and don't have lifetime health insurance then 20k$+ of that 90k is going to health insurance for the next 17 years. 90k a year in 35 years will probably not be enough.

Even if its not you could invest @ 70k a year lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7635286 10/17/19 07:08 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Lifetime health insurance for me in my retirement is 100 dollars a month.

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635289 10/17/19 07:11 PM
T
Twotoes Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
About half my working life I had no degree. Good jobs, technician level, interesting work but very limited income opportunities. Then back to school, got a BS and 3 years later a MS (engineering). My work life changed dramatically, much more money, unlimited opportunities. Degree really does make a difference in technical fields.

Past performance is the best predictor of future behavior.
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7635315 10/17/19 07:54 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Congratulations- that's outstanding. You're a step up on a lot of folks.....

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7635330 10/17/19 08:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Congrats, you are the exception and beat the odds. Impressive

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635403 10/17/19 10:30 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
College has value but it's not necessary to have a good living. Those that choose another route should never feel ashamed of making that choice. Work hard, make good decisions, learn from mistakes and keep mama happy.

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: Ramball36] #7635709 10/18/19 07:36 AM
B
Buck Tooter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Ramball36....Money well spent??????

Last edited by Buck Tooter; 10/18/19 07:37 AM.
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: wp75169] #7635722 10/18/19 10:13 AM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted by wp75169
I wish someone would gather data and show top wage earners vs degrees. I think the top crust have degrees but the 70-90% top earners have no degree. Texas median income is half of many blue collar workers. I had at least two guys bust 100k last year with a GED.

One hears that a lot but the actual facts across the board prove this to be fallacy. Those with degrees on average earn more than those without. Increased education equals increased earning capacity - it’s an almost perfectly linear correlation.

That doesn’t mean some without degrees don’t make more than some with degrees-sometimes a lot more. But the overall trend is the opposite.

NP I respectfully disagree. Maybe the people in your realm who have passed the bar, but most degrees, including most engineers, fall short of what skilled labor can pay. No, I don’t know the statistics, but I know our well educated engineers make about what our entry level skilled labor makes. Those are facts. At least in my industry, maybe the oil field, and likely a few others.

I do know the statistics. NP and BoBo are correct. Yes, there are welders and crane operators and rig superintendents out there that make more than I do every year. That's anecdotal. But for ALL wage earners with degrees versus those without degrees the evidence is clear and Tbar's post of the BLS data shows this.

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7635750 10/18/19 11:35 AM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
College has value but it's not necessary to have a good living. Those that choose another route should never feel ashamed of making that choice. Work hard, make good decisions, learn from mistakes and keep mama happy.

[Linked Image]

popcorn peep

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635754 10/18/19 11:50 AM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
We just fired a guy last week with a MBA from SMU, like all the others they hire who have fancy degrees from D1 schools he didn't last 6 months. Some skills you can't teach, you wake up with them in the morning.

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635765 10/18/19 12:00 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
yes

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635781 10/18/19 12:23 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Undergrad in AM system. Masters in UT system.

Proverbs 2
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7635817 10/18/19 12:54 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by SmallTownHunter
We just fired a guy last week with a MBA from SMU, like all the others they hire who have fancy degrees from D1 schools he didn't last 6 months. Some skills you can't teach, you wake up with them in the morning.

Agree to an extent...some things are innate while others are where you were raised and who raised you. Life and work expereinces play a huge role. A degree or mulitiple degress express to the world you have demonstrated an ability to learn. Nothing more/nothing less. The ability to interact with others, perform on a team, produce outcomes, provide solutions rather than generate problems and drama, think critically, and ultimately are they a 'fit' in the organization will carry you further in your professional life. As a hiring manager the last thing I look at is the degree and where it came from.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7635826 10/18/19 01:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

What is it you do?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7635855 10/18/19 01:25 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

Agree. My ex wife had a PhD from UT, $150,000 in college tuition that she couldn’t pay. Then she met a faithful hard working oil field hand like myself that made 4x the money she did. She loved talking about how smart she was.

Don’t be me.

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: redchevy] #7635859 10/18/19 01:29 PM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by redchevy

What is it you do?

Territory Manager for Ritchie Brothers Auctioneers/Iron Planet

Re: Do you have a degree? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7635874 10/18/19 01:43 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a BBA, graduated in 1986.

Earning my degree taught me that I don't know everything, and how to learn what I need to know. It also made me more open minded and accepting of others. I saw folks from all walks of life there with me earning the same thing, a degree. I was inspired by a girl who wore leg braces and had to swing her torso and use crutches to get across campus. Sometimes she had to stop and rest. Myself, I got up at 0300 every morning and loaded trucks at UPS then went to school. This was my last three years, first year I stocked at a grocery store. I read some of the posts above and degrees are referred to as "fancy degrees", or the people that earned them as "college boys". Nothing fancy about the degree that my Dad (a cop) or my mom (a school cafeteria worker) paid for. They covered tuition and books, I paid for everything else myself, like I had since I was about 15. As for the "college boy" part, maybe when I started at 18 but when I graduated I know my wife and 1 year old child considered me a man at 23.

I have never regretted earning a degree, or know anyone that has.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide