Print Thread
Looking for a new cap light? #7634957 10/17/19 12:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
While this post would probably be one more for the Hunting Gear section, I'm posting it here in view of hunting safety.

I like to use an LED cap light, one that fits on the edge of the brim of your cap, when walking to and from my stand. I've always been one that prefers not being mistaken for a deer or stepping on a snake as being more important than killing an animal for meat that I really don't need. Anyway, the light that I've been using for a couple of years now finally bit the dust so I found myself last night looking for a new one. I know I wanted one that uses a standard AAA battery because they're easy to find and seem to last longer than those small, button batteries. I also didn't want to spend a small fortune on a light, since after all, a lumen is a lumen no matter how much it cost for the light. I found one at at Academy for just under $15 (14.99 to be exact) that I really like because it's rechargeable using the standard USB plug used in charging my cell phone. That means I can use the same USB charger that's in my truck to recharge it as well. It creates 100 lumens, which I consider plenty bright enough for its purpose, and has two brightness levels, a green LED light setting (not sure if deer don't see the color green that well), as well as a strobe setting. Not sure the strobe setting is that important but hey, I remember when an old boy was shot in South Texas by a hunting partner even though he was sitting atop his tripod and waving his cap at him. It also has a somewhat larger on/off button that's easy to find and push that lights up red when it's charging and green once its fully charged.

All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. Besides, now some of you have another good reason to go spend money at Academy. I promise I won't tell the wife you were ever there.

Rechargeable Cap Light

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/17/19 01:55 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Looking for a new cap light? [Re: Texas Dan] #7635006 10/17/19 01:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
For those wondering about the guy who was shot by his hunting partner, you'll find this photo of the result in the 2008 TPWD Hunting Accident Report.

“Some of you may already know that I was involved in a hunting accident on New Year’s Eve but wanted you to hear about it from me so that you have the story first-hand and know that I am going to be okay. I was sitting in a tripod stand on my lease in South Texas at dusk when one of my hunters drove down an adjoining road. He stopped his jeep in my sendera, and I waved my hat and whistled so that he would see me and leave. I watched him get out of his jeep and the next thing I know I hear and feel the shot at the same instant. I was able to stand up and yell to him that he shot me and he drove to me as I climbed out of the stand. The 25-06 bullet went in the front of the top of my left shoulder where it joins the neck and exited out the back. He rushed me to the Eagle Pass emergency room which is only minutes from the ranch. I was flown home to Houston the next afternoon and have been having the wound treated at home by a doctor friend until I get in to see a general surgeon tomorrow. I have a very nasty exit wound that will require several weeks to heal and then plastic surgery to finish off. I was very, very fortunate in that the bullet missed all bones and vitals. I have attached a picture of the wound (don't open if you are squeamish). You will see how lucky I (and the shooter) am to be able to sit and write this today. I will tell you that it hurts, a lot! As to the question of how this could happen I don't have an answer. He is an experienced and normally very safe hunter and he can't explain his total lapse in judgment at shooting at something he could not positively identify, in very low light and at a 200 yard distance. He broke the number 1 rule in gun safety. His recovery time will be much longer than mine but he is not getting any sympathy from me at this time."

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/17/19 01:51 PM.

Re: Looking for a new cap light? [Re: Texas Dan] #7635164 10/17/19 04:06 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
The one I like is the Energizer Performance 3 light but looks like they are out of stock or discontinued. They are the Red ones. Definitely like the AAA battery ones as well.

Re: Looking for a new cap light? [Re: Texas Dan] #7635169 10/17/19 04:19 PM
T
tophorsecop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I bought one at Tractor Supply on clearance $8, like the one Academy sells...different brand but USB charger...and then drove to every TSC within about 30 miles to buy all the other "clearance" ones I could find...Gave them as Christmas presents...kept 3 for myself...one in each truck and one on my hat on the hat tree...can't beat them !!!

"Guns don't kill people, Guns kill dinner!"
Re: Looking for a new cap light? [Re: Texas Dan] #7635177 10/17/19 04:28 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
The best one I have found came from Tractor Supply. It has either 6 or 8 LED's, a metal clip so you don't have to worry about the legs breaking and is rechargeable with any USB port. It is the brightest I have found. At $10 a steal of a deal and I will probably by a couple more for back ups.

My fishing partner had cap light envy and wound up buying one himself.

-Z

Greg Ziemer
Sewell Lexus
214-597-6006
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Looking for a new cap light? [Re: Texas Dan] #7635192 10/17/19 04:52 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Good replies and feedback.

Re: Looking for a new cap light? [Re: Texas Dan] #7636580 10/19/19 02:18 PM
C
chicken fried Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I bought one Amazon for $20 that’s very bright and adjustable. It’s a rechargeable and last along time. Sorry I don’t know the brand.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide