Forums46
Topics537,957
Posts9,731,099
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: dee] #7633927 10/16/19 01:26 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dee
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'm already shooting handloads. If 7-08 AI brass was available, I'd rebarrel one of my SA rifles almost immediately. I've already looked hard at the 7 SAW which is roughly the same thing.

Correct on the SAW. Being a small rifle pocket was a brilliant move on Clayton's part.

However there are many more short action .473" bolts out there with a large rifle firing pin. So there's a gap to fill in my opinion.

I use 6.5 Creedmoor as my match shooting rifle only these days. I hunt with 7mm bullets. If it weren't for fear of losing brass, I'd compete with a 7mm-08 A.I. like dee used to, or still does. I've said "I aint above putting a brass catcher on a bolt action".

If there was a supply of 7mm-08 A.I. brass, I'd be out of the 6.5 Creedmoor business all together. It is that much better.

Theres no way the saw is safe pressure wise. It's smaller in case capacity than ai yet yields same or higher velocity. It may run fine in most conditions but that doesn't mean it's safe in all. I asked clayton if he pressure tested it at a match and he told me he hasn't and had no clue what they are. I'd already ran rough numbers in quickload (off a piece of lapua saw brass) so I knew it was very high psi. With the new alpha brass I'd be very skeptical of advertised speeds.

Thank you for sharing.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: patriot07] #7633932 10/16/19 01:29 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by patriot07
Dumb question - does 7-08 AI push the limits of mag length in SA?

I'm always on the lookout for a cartridge to go to when I need to rebarrel my Tikka. Brass availability is a major concern though, so I probably wouldn't go to anything I had to fireform for.

Case length does not change.

That 162 gr is sitting .003" shy of lands in that rifle, and fits inside an A.I. mag with ease. I'm telling you it is the answer for a .473" bolt face short action. We owe dee a compliment for running it for so long, and was very gracious in answering my questions two years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: J.G.] #7633960 10/16/19 01:53 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
That 7 SAW looks good. I hadn't seen that yet. It looks like a 308 case necked down to 7mm and the shoulder angle sized to 30 degrees. Reading up on the case and the posted data, you're not getting those speeds without having some higher pressures. The good thing about using 308 Palma brass is the small primer pocket to allow the use of higher pressure and the case be able to handle it. The .473" bolt face with a small primer pocket will handle pressure better than the large primer will, and it will mask the pressure signs some also. But I've tried to hot rod a standard 7-08, and it's hard to get speeds up enough to be attractive over other 6.5mm calibers. The simplicity of the 7 SAW is very attractive. I like bigger bullets anyway, and if you can get the same velocity (or more) than the 6.5mm 140 grain rounds with the 7mm higher BC's, it's a win win.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: ChadTRG42] #7633966 10/16/19 01:58 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Right

You're running 6.5 Creedmoor MV's but with a 162 gr 7mm as opposed to a 140, 143, 147 gr 6.5mm.

I don't care, at all about elevation corrections, they are easy to fix. I care about lack of wind drift, and foot pounds of energy down range. 7mm-08 A.I. with a 162 gr wins, plain and simple.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: J.G.] #7634466 10/16/19 09:05 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I care about lack of wind drift, and foot pounds of energy. 7mm-08 A.I. with a 162 gr wins, plain and simple.

These are the 2 main reasons I drank your kool-aid and had the 708AI built. I didn't want to pour lead into the berm on windy days. I wanted more energy at distance than the Creedmoor can offer. 308 is a wonderful round but gets blown around like Gumby in front of a used car lot. 65 Creedmoor is a wonderful round but peters out if considering hunting bigger animals at distance. Why such a demand to get AI brass new? Fire forming is accurate, deadly, and once done, it's done.

Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: patriot07] #7634545 10/16/19 10:47 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by patriot07
Dumb question - does 7-08 AI push the limits of mag length in SA?

I'm always on the lookout for a cartridge to go to when I need to rebarrel my Tikka. Brass availability is a major concern though, so I probably wouldn't go to anything I had to fireform for.

Depends on the mag you use provided we are talking dbm setups. None of my mags have binder plates or are aw which are even longer so I have more than enough room to run them.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: garyrapp55] #7634563 10/16/19 11:12 PM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I care about lack of wind drift, and foot pounds of energy. 7mm-08 A.I. with a 162 gr wins, plain and simple.

These are the 2 main reasons I drank your kool-aid and had the 708AI built. I didn't want to pour lead into the berm on windy days. I wanted more energy at distance than the Creedmoor can offer. 308 is a wonderful round but gets blown around like Gumby in front of a used car lot. 65 Creedmoor is a wonderful round but peters out if considering hunting bigger animals at distance. Why such a demand to get AI brass new? Fire forming is accurate, deadly, and once done, it's done.

It is appealing to myself and anyone I build a 7mm-08 A.I. for, to not have to do two load work-ups. Then it is "one and done". And, barrels speed up, so one has to watch for that. Will it do it during fire forming all your brass? It will if you got enough brass. Might as well have it happen on load #1.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: J.G.] #7634568 10/16/19 11:19 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
FJG,
if you are sticking with that round long term, it might be worth buying a cheap Savage or Rem 700, have Tony chamber to match your good rifle. Then use the cheap gun to fireform with pistol powder and toilet paper, Cream of Wheat or whatever stopper you prefer.. It will last forever and not wear out the barrel on the good rifle or waste time with running two loads.

Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: jeffbird] #7634751 10/17/19 02:04 AM
J.G. Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jeffbird
FJG,
if you are sticking with that round long term, it might be worth buying a cheap Savage or Rem 700, have Tony chamber to match your good rifle. Then use the cheap gun to fireform with pistol powder and toilet paper, Cream of Wheat or whatever stopper you prefer.. It will last forever and not wear out the barrel on the good rifle or waste time with running two loads.

Already have that barrel, would still rather not spend that time. And the rest of the rifle world doesn't want to either. I would rather have brass in form, form the git go.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: ChadTRG42] #7634793 10/17/19 02:43 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
That 7 SAW looks good. I hadn't seen that yet. It looks like a 308 case necked down to 7mm and the shoulder angle sized to 30 degrees. Reading up on the case and the posted data, you're not getting those speeds without having some higher pressures. The good thing about using 308 Palma brass is the small primer pocket to allow the use of higher pressure and the case be able to handle it. The .473" bolt face with a small primer pocket will handle pressure better than the large primer will, and it will mask the pressure signs some also. But I've tried to hot rod a standard 7-08, and it's hard to get speeds up enough to be attractive over other 6.5mm calibers. The simplicity of the 7 SAW is very attractive. I like bigger bullets anyway, and if you can get the same velocity (or more) than the 6.5mm 140 grain rounds with the 7mm higher BC's, it's a win win.

Found my old quickload data from when I compared the saw to the 08ai while both running Palma brass through quickload. Case capacity is in favor of the 08ai by 1.5gr in h20. With the wto load of 43.3gr of varget with a 162 seated to 2.945 it shows roughly 72kpsi and 2842fps vs his advertised of 2911fps from a 26" tube. My load in the ai is 42gr of varget at 2.870 which is 63k and 2668fps though my true fps was 2708 from a 22" barrel. Now I know for sure mine passes a water test but I would doubt a 70k psi load will.

Disclaimer: I'm certain Chad already knows this but some may not but quickload isn't exact though typically pretty close. Speed difference is likely powder lot related more than anything.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: J.G.] #7634796 10/17/19 02:49 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jeffbird
FJG,

Already have that barrel, would still rather not spend that time. And the rest of the rifle world doesn't want to either. I would rather have brass in form, form the git go.

Understand.

Last edited by jeffbird; 10/17/19 03:50 AM.
Re: The world needs 7mm-08 A.I. brass. So I called Hornady today [Re: dee] #7635015 10/17/19 01:56 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by dee
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

Found my old quickload data from when I compared the saw to the 08ai while both running Palma brass through quickload. Case capacity is in favor of the 08ai by 1.5gr in h20. With the wto load of 43.3gr of varget with a 162 seated to 2.945 it shows roughly 72kpsi and 2842fps vs his advertised of 2911fps from a 26" tube. My load in the ai is 42gr of varget at 2.870 which is 63k and 2668fps though my true fps was 2708 from a 22" barrel. Now I know for sure mine passes a water test but I would doubt a 70k psi load will.

Disclaimer: I'm certain Chad already knows this but some may not but quickload isn't exact though typically pretty close. Speed difference is likely powder lot related more than anything.

Yes, 100%. QuickLoad gets you in the ball park. It is certainly not exact. But from testing and shooting many 7-08 rounds, it's difficult to get your speeds up for that round before hitting pressure. I don't know why, but if you run the velocity numbers compared to a 308 and 260 (which is one cartridge diameter up and one down) with similar bullet weights and velocities, the 7-08 runs with less velocity. I love the round and 7mm bullets. But it does need a little boost and improving it (Ackely Imp with a 40 degree shoulder) and the SAW with a 30 to 35 degree shoulder (I'm assuming), helps boost performance. But the velocity the SAW is getting, is certainly getting higher performance from the added pressure. You could not get the same performance with a lower quality brass and large primer pocket.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide