Page 1 of 2 1 2
Benefits in using Google Earth #7632971 10/15/19 12:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There's no question free satellite imagery has provided a wealth of benefits for hunters. Anyone with even the slightest sense of direction can scout their new hunting lease from their comfort of their office chair and get a good idea on where to go looking for game trails and pinch points that are likely to be great places to put up a deer stand or feeder.

One feature that I've found especially helpful with Google Earth is the ability to measure distances. I've used it to estimate acreage, and most recently, to estimate shot distances. I'll be hunting a new lease this season where a shot of 300-400 yards or more is entirely possible, even though it's far beyond my shooting capabilities. For that reason, I used to Google Earth when deciding where to place my ground blind and green strip so that shots would be kept closer to 100 yards. And of course, a final check to confirm distances can easily be made in the field with a range finder.

What use cases with Google Earth of other satellite apps have you found to beneficial to you as a hunter?

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/15/19 12:30 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7632973 10/15/19 12:32 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don’t have an office chair

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: maximus_flavius] #7632975 10/15/19 12:33 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

Standing is healthier.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7632976 10/15/19 12:34 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
There's no question free satellite imagery has provided a wealth of benefits for hunters. Anyone with even the slightest sense of direction can scout their new hunting lease from their comfort of their office chair and get a good idea on where to go looking for game trails and pinch points that are likely to be great places to put up a deer stand or feeder.

One feature that I've found especially helpful with Google Earth is the ability to measure distances. I've used it to estimate acreage, and most recently, to estimate shot distances. I'll be hunting a new lease this season where a shot of 300-400 yards or more is entirely possible, even though it's far beyond my shooting capabilities. For that reason, I used to Google Earth when deciding where to place my ground blind and green strip so that shots would be kept closer to 100 yards. And of course, a final check to confirm distances can easily be made in the field with a range finder.

What use cases with Google Earth of other satellite apps have you found to beneficial to you as a hunter?

- Mapping out potential food plots
- Planning brush management
- Assessing drainage situations
- Overlay old satallite photos to see how the landscape has morphed.

Last edited by H2O Seeker; 10/15/19 12:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: H2O Seeker] #7632982 10/15/19 12:41 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

Standing is healthier.

These apps and the technology that enables them gives hunters a good idea as to where to focus their field efforts so less time is wasted trying to figure it out on foot.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7632991 10/15/19 12:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
One thing that I use Google earth for is looking for stands on neighboring properties. I have found many that are near the fence line using google earth, but on foot can't be seen.
In east Texas that does not work as well because many use ladder stands. I've also used it to find feeders that I can hear but can't see. No sense in putting your stuff right next to theirs
even if it is a good pinch point, etc.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Mr. T.] #7633007 10/15/19 01:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
One thing that I use Google earth for is looking for stands on neighboring properties. I have found many that are near the fence line using google earth, but on foot can't be seen.
In east Texas that does not work as well because many use ladder stands. I've also used it to find feeders that I can hear but can't see. No sense in putting your stuff right next to theirs
even if it is a good pinch point, etc.

Yes, a very strong benefit. I've done it too after hearing the sounds of ATV's to confirm the existence and location of deer stands. When I hear someone leave a stand at 9am or so, I know to stay later and see what they might bump my way because often they do.

The sound of another hunter's ATV is not a signal to leave but to stay put, especially if you're one who prefers to walk to your stand. They know, believe me the deer and especially the older bucks know.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/15/19 01:33 PM.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633156 10/15/19 03:53 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I find it to be very valuable. I got a new pasture last year that’s 5500 acres. Over ten years ago the process to learn the funnels and pinch points especially roads would of taken a couple years. I had my game plan before we set feet on the ground.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 10/15/19 03:54 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633164 10/15/19 03:59 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Huntstand is a free app that you can use on your computer or phone. Logging, tracking, inviting others that hunt in your area, weather, place markers for feeders-stands-cameras and the list goes on an on.You can also choose the imagery that you want to use also on your maps.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633168 10/15/19 04:02 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Huntstand is a free app that you can use on your computer or phone. Logging, tracking, inviting others that hunt in your area, weather, place markers for feeders-stands-cameras and the list goes on an on.You can also choose the imagery that you want to use also on your maps.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633186 10/15/19 04:17 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I use Daftlogic for my real estate stuff and hunting stuff. You can measure distance, area, area within an area, elevation etc. Very helpful when scouting for new land.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633209 10/15/19 04:43 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I use them all. I like onX and basemap as they have different layers.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633228 10/15/19 05:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I live by onxmaps. I just used it to measure food plots size so I bought enough seed

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633239 10/15/19 05:18 PM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Another thing I like about it is that it details the altitude. Great for finding good vantage points and shooting lanes.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7633342 10/15/19 07:15 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I live by onxmaps. I just used it to measure food plots size so I bought enough seed

And fertilizer.

up

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633353 10/15/19 07:26 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
How often is Google Earth updated?

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Choctaw] #7633385 10/15/19 08:06 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Depends on the area. Sometimes it is once a year and sometimes it is once every 4 years.

We work with various imagery companies and we found that we can get imagery at the most recent, at around 6 months, for our customers.
We get higher resolution imagery than google earth and other services, but it will never be yesterday's imagery....unfortunately.

A lot of our clients swear by OnX. We use them as well.

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 10/15/19 08:09 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7633409 10/15/19 08:28 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
We get higher resolution imagery than google earth and other services, but it will never be yesterday's imagery....unfortunately.

It seems like most of the commercial imagery places have really killed their resolution here recently, any reason why that is? Privacy concerns?

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Choctaw] #7633410 10/15/19 08:28 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

The GE image of my place was the same for 5 years, and then updated this summer with an image that I estimate was taken in February/March based on some changes I've made since.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7633434 10/15/19 08:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Depends on the area. Sometimes it is once a year and sometimes it is once every 4 years.

We work with various imagery companies and we found that we can get imagery at the most recent, at around 6 months, for our customers.

Thanks for sharing.

So just how many satellites are currently in GS orbit providing images and who owns them? The reason I ask is to get some idea as to why some sources update their images more often than others.

TIA

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/15/19 08:50 PM.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633831 10/16/19 11:23 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Used it to determine actual lease size when a couple of buddies and I signed on a property in Beeville. Real thick cover with winding roads. Owner drove us all over and it appeared substantial Claimed it was 160 acres, We signed on and I went home and viewed on google earth and determined it was actually about 80 acres. We discussed the misrepresentation and decided to cancel. Long story short the owner acted surprised but resisted refunding all our money but gave us 1/2 back. Leaned a lesson from that one.

Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633853 10/16/19 11:53 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
As stated, seeing where neighbor's stands and feeders are...and which ones are shooting your direction. Doesn't replace getting to your stand early on opening rifle day and listening to all the commotion. However, a lot of hunters are real fickle year to year about setting up stands, then abandoning them. There's lots of trash blinds on my place that I'll spend years cleaning up.

Altitude is very useful to help learn a place. I put placemarks all over regarding stuff I'm thinking about doing in the future.

And, in conjunction with the county appraisal district records and maps, you can sometimes get a good idea of reality versus somebody's place's big, impressive website. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7633867 10/16/19 12:17 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Not getting lost comes to mind!

Thanks, Billy
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7634369 10/16/19 07:21 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
\
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Thanks for sharing.

So just how many satellites are currently in GS orbit providing images and who owns them? The reason I ask is to get some idea as to why some sources update their images more often than others.

TIA

Not really sure on the number of orbiting GS sats....We rarely ever do any imagery with satellites anymore.
99% of our imagery is from aerial photography...which means we don't get new data all the time, but when we do, it is super high quality imagery.
Some satellite imagery can be refreshed more often, but it will not normally be as sharp and crisp as aerial imagery.

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie

It seems like most of the commercial imagery places have really killed their resolution here recently, any reason why that is? Privacy concerns?

Not really sure. Would have to look into that a bit.

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 10/16/19 07:22 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Benefits in using Google Earth [Re: Texas Dan] #7634457 10/16/19 08:57 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
If you draw path you can left click on it and click on the elevation profile. It will give you the elevations of all points on that line.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide