Print Thread
Living Will and Med Power of Attorney #7633752 10/16/19 03:31 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
I have been working with my mother on completing a Medical Power of Attorney, a HIPPA/Protected Health Information Release Authorization and an Advance Directive, Directive to Physicians.. aka.. Living Will.
I hadn’t given much thought about it for me and my wife but after going thru this with my mother and getting familiar with these forms, my wife and I have been talking about our wishes. Writing down our wishes and intent is a good way to take the decision making out of the hands of ourselves and our kids if anything should ever happen to one or both of us.

This also got me thinking about how many people have done this for themselves...

Living Will / Directive to Physicians
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/16/19 03:14 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Medical Power of Attorney
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 10/16/19 03:16 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7633761 10/16/19 03:47 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I dont plan on dying, but if I do, i plan on Tannerite all my money and film it to post it on the world wide web, money is evil.

Last edited by beaversnipe; 10/16/19 03:55 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: beaversnipe] #7633780 10/16/19 04:16 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
I dont plan on dying, but if I do, i plan on Tannerite all my money and film it to post it on the world wide web, money is evil.

You should vote "I don't know what that is"

[Linked Image]
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7633783 10/16/19 04:24 AM
H
huntingag01 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
beav leaving everything to the Clay Cooley boys.

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7633794 10/16/19 05:08 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I have a DNR, First one to the bank wins..

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7633802 10/16/19 10:45 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
And you should probably have an attorney lookover and update everything, including your will, every 10 years or so. ('Course, an attorney will probably say sooner. ) Ours are pretty old.

And - remind your kids (the responsible ones) where they are (the papers and the attorney, if you trust him). cool

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7633862 10/16/19 12:13 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
In our situation I have a son that is disabled. He can't live on his own and may never. When we are gone there is no family that can take him ( I have two nephews but don't expect them to be in a position to help). Our will hasn't been updated in a LONG time so I need to decide how to arrange for his care after we're gone. Anyone have any ideas?

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7633956 10/16/19 01:49 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Peg !!!!! Great planning. I had to become an expert on this the hard way. Get ahead of it, its inevitable.

I have a file in the gunsafe for my daughter . When I croak, everything is lined out for her.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7633974 10/16/19 02:04 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
In our situation I have a son that is disabled. He can't live on his own and may never. When we are gone there is no family that can take him ( I have two nephews but don't expect them to be in a position to help). Our will hasn't been updated in a LONG time so I need to decide how to arrange for his care after we're gone. Anyone have any ideas?

I was asking about about Medical POA to appoint an person or persons to be able to act on your behalf n making medical decisions in the even you are not in a condition to make them and a Living Will which is a Directive as to whether you want to be kept on life support, Do Not Resuscitate.... etc.

But you bring up a point about not just medical but other things such as financial and other legal matters.
This would definitely be an area to consult an attorney that specializes in Wills, Trusts and Probate.
If you do not line this stuff out now and both you and your wife are gone, I assume he will become a “ward of the state” if there is no other family available or willing to setup in as guardian. This may be ok but you should be able to setup the appropriate documents, now, to direct your wishes on how any monies or trusts are used to take care of him when y’all are gone.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7634087 10/16/19 03:23 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
My parents both (both 64) got theirs all lined out a year or two ago. I have MPOA, they got their wills in order, I'm on all checking/savings accounts, and the beneficiary of the 401K, IRA, life insurance, etc. Probably have me added to the title on their house since everything is paid off. I'm an only child - so I do appreciate them taking care of all of this now.

Last edited by Cochise; 10/16/19 03:24 PM.
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7634222 10/16/19 05:14 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Most who have responded are confusing these with a Last will and testament. Id recommend you all look into drawing up a Living Will and a MPOA.

[Linked Image]
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: pegasaurus] #7634322 10/16/19 06:40 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
My Wife is an Attorney and she does a lot of Family Law. We both have them.
She just helped my Mom draw up a new Will, Durable PoA, Medical PoA, HPPA Auth, etc,

Just talking to your family and writing down wishes won't cut it if there are problems or disagreements.

A good Attorney, that does this type of Law, should be able to provide you with a package set for a reasonable price.

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: Cochise] #7634330 10/16/19 06:46 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Cochise
My parents both (both 64) got theirs all lined out a year or two ago. I have MPOA, they got their wills in order, I'm on all checking/savings accounts, and the beneficiary of the 401K, IRA, life insurance, etc. Probably have me added to the title on their house since everything is paid off. I'm an only child - so I do appreciate them taking care of all of this now.

I wish everyone would read this, again. Everyone of these steps are important to have done, don't wait until you need any of this.

Charlie

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634333 10/16/19 06:48 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Talk to an attorney and discuss the benefits and tax position of what a trust would provide, particularly if you will need an outside person to assist in his care/finances after ya'll are gone.

Charlie

Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7634498 10/16/19 09:37 PM
G
GOLDSTEIN Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G

You would be well suited to visit with a good estate attorney. I have one who shares an office with me in Southlake if you are seriously looking. You would need to explore guardianship, financial POA, special needs trusts, life insurance, etc. There are several smart planning ideas to help.

Retirement Planning & Asset Management
www.SullivanFinancialPartners.com
Re: Living Will and Med Power of Attorney [Re: GOLDSTEIN] #7634508 10/16/19 09:49 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by GOLDSTEIN

You would be well suited to visit with a good estate attorney. I have one who shares an office with me in Southlake if you are seriously looking. You would need to explore guardianship, financial POA, special needs trusts, life insurance, etc. There are several smart planning ideas to help.

Thank you for reaching out! I have someone I'm going to talk to, and he knows my details. Just been putting it off.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide